Carrying A Multi-Tool

p.k.roberts

5 minutes ago, adam2 said:

Expensive in time off and in legal expenses, but you cant appeal against an acquittal. The police declined to return the confiscated tool on the grounds that they had a "zero tolerance of the carrying of knives" And that this policy was not affected by court judgments.

A friend of mine was stopped by police on the way to a show. In a case of mistaken identity, they thought the van he was driving was stolen, and couldn't be convinced otherwise. He ended up spending time in the cells, missing his gig, until things were resolved. 

He sued the police, and won. Not sure it'd be worth legal action over a confiscated multitool though. 

An acquaintance of mine from University days - so over 30 years ago. Went to a fancy dress party as a Chicago Gangster. Suit with stripes, trilby hat - and a "super soaker" water gun.

Of course, a few drinks were taken, and on his way home, the water pistol was filled up from a convenient puddle, and he proceeded to spray his pals as they walked out to Glasgow's west end.

The group went their separate ways, and he headed along Gt Western Rd. He was aware he was being followed. Crossed the road, the person following also crossed. He speeded up, the person following did the same.

He thought he was going to be mugged, and ran. Next thing he knew, he's face down on the ground on Kelvin Bridge, with 2 guys on top of him. He's thinking he's being mugged, and shouts "take my wallet, it's in my back pocket". Then flashing blue lights and armed cops arrived.

A taxi driver had radio'd in that "there was a guy with a machine gun on Gt Western Road, and he could see the bullets bouncing off the car in front".

23 minutes ago, adam2 said:

Expensive in time off and in legal expenses, but you cant appeal against an acquittal.

It's time this unreasonable point is sorted out, I was summoned to court for speeding. On the day the usher asked my solicitor an me how I intended pleading.

'Not guilty.'

"Really with all this evidence?

'Yes.'

'Can I ask why?'

'The evidence relates to a different road to the one named.'

'Oh, I'll be back.'

A few minutes later 'The case has been dropped.'

'Expenses?'

'No.'

Friend, recently checking poles on Salisbury plain, ended up about 4 miles from his van, walked the shortest route back through a village, forgot about the machete sticking out of his backpack, surrounded by armed police, full job, After full explanations and checks, he said at least they gave him a lift back to his van.

• 4 weeks later...

"Use in connection with work" is a valid legal reason to carry a multio tool. Obviously you need to be carrying only while you are at work (or travelling to and from work).

I did once get stopped at 3 AM in Brixton and my upon being asked "if I was carrying anything?" I Said I had a multitool on my belt and was returning home after a gig. The mini maglite next to it on the belt probably helped convince the police I was legit and I was let on my way with a "thank you".

At the end of the day, its "good reason" and "context".

As mentioned above, I rarely need a blade at work. A pair of decent side cutters and a corkscrew are far more useful and live in the tool box.

• 1 month later...

Several years ago a bunch of my crew stopped off at a shop on the way back from a gig in central -ish London. 2 minutes later they're surrounded by armed police. "Any concealed weapons?"... one of my guys said "I have a Gerber" He slowly lifted his coat to show the offending article on his belt. The whole armed squad laughed at this. "We are looking for weapons, not tools"

In 2001 I met a lass from Texas and, lets just say we got on well straight away. Within weeks I found myself enjoying a week off in Galveston! When she took me to the Airport to fly home, they not only let her through to air side to be with me, they also let her past the metal detector with my back pack containing my Leatherman and Swiss Army Knife! This was April 2001.

• Funny 1

Which parts are supposed to be true?

From my own personal experience traveling through philadelphia airport in 2000, most of it.Friends accompanied us right up to the final boarding gate and security were more interested in my steeltoe caped trainers than the contents of our carry on bags.The only real "security" was the duty free we bought in the airport was delivered to us once  we were onboard the flight.

Edited by themadhippy
  • Upvote 1

About 2011/12 we had a holiday in spain with daughter and her husband and 2 grandsons, youngest was 2/3 and still using buggy. while away I purchased a sharp vegetable knife to cut fruit for grandsons. for most of the holiday it lived in a poly bag in the buggy.

Despite being x-ray'd twice in Spain the knife fell on the floor when buggy was reclaimed at Gatwick.

Edited by sunray
Just realised this may turn into: that's nothing compared with...
  • Upvote 1