Live8 - Technical

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder how many of those radio mics'll come back in one piece (from the finale), hehe :huh:

Seeing Floyd back for JUST this was AMAZING - shame they didn't have any lasers, but hey ;)

With people like U2 opening and the Who and Pink Floyd at the end - why the heck did Mcartney get to open and close? Blah!

bet it's hell getting home from the concert tonight.

PS On timeslip so about 15mins behind the actual concert

Have you noticed the number of fat blokes drumming?

The one at the moment is just down right scary! :unsure:

Scary but a really nice bloke he used to drum for sting ----there appears to be a bit of drummer swapping going on tonight :D

over all a great show with mind blowing chances of it all going so badly wrong but it didnt

scotland here I come :( :huh: ;) :stagecrew: :stagecrew:

mark w-e

24seven

Lighting & Backline Services

W - www.Concertlights.net

T - 0774 222 6715

E - 24seven@orange.net

I perfer the cam work on philly so far. Will be intresting at night I think.

Stupid question what is with the 2 bars on Chris Martins hand and piano?

The two bars are(if my memory is right) water aid it all started at Glastonbury a few years ago him doing that

Mark W-E

24seven

Lighting & Backline Services

W - www.Concertlights.net

T - 0774 222 6715

E - 24seven@orange.net

Have you noticed the number of fat blokes drumming?

I did a gig tonite in a shopping centre of all places (Chiltern Shopping Centre in High Wycombe) and the drummer from the steel band looked a little like a lava lamp when he got going, it was impressively realistic!

I've just come back from Hyde Park, here are my thoughts.

The sound setup was vast, they had 11 repeater towers, half of which had subs underneath them... It was an E-V setup. Having said that, I don't think it was particularly good.

The volume was unusually low for such an event. They had a really (sometimes painfully) harsh high-end, which was really annoying. Maybe it was because I was right in front of one of the arrays, but it still shouldn't have been like that. The bass was variable too - really low at the beginning, but much too high at a few points. Lots of mic/level/feedback problems, but maybe that's to be expected. All in all, not terribly impressive.

Lighting design was cool, they had 6 movers on each sound repeater tower which was quite effective when it got dark. I think they were washes, not profiles though, which was a bit perplexing. I was miles away from the stage so I can't really comment on anything except that I think some of the LED battens were upside down, because the patterns were quite broken sometimes.

Floyd were simply amazing :huh:. They used the video better than any other band there (a lot of bands appeared to be using the built-in Catalyst effects). I'm amazed they can play so perfectly after 20 years. A part of me really hopes they tour again, because they could do so much amazing stuff with modern lighting/sound technology.

Hey im new o these forums and have been watching the concert. I thought the TV mix was apauling (like my spelling) the radio mix was good though. it was interesting how dominated all the concerts where with Sennhiser and neumann mics (including the use of neumann capsules on sennhiser transmiters). there seemed to be no beyer dynamics which are normaly the british standard. it was nice to see the sennhiser M421's make a reapperence as they there used in the live aid concert 20 years ago and in the recording of band aid on the drums. nice to see a bit of history (realy good mics). the feedback is unacceptable I thought. this is a profestional event. I have to do concerts with no rehersals and I dont get feedback and I have very limited equiptment and no feedback destroyers. (maby they should have bought some behringer FDB's)

I've just come back from Hyde Park, here are my thoughts.

Lighting design was cool, they had 6 movers on each sound repeater tower which was quite effective when it got dark. I think they were washes, not profiles though, which was a bit perplexing. I

I saw it on TV (yes, even over here!) and from what I gather, they were to wash the crowd- more an effect for the TV cameras than the punters.

It looked pretty good to me, but I too am suprised by all the feedback with the PA. Those (stage) sidefills in London looked pretty impressive though...

Must have been a mammoth event to organise- and somebody before said "haze" but to me it looked more like smoke, due to it being so patchy and blowing around. Haze wouldn't have stuck around, would it?

Archived