Live8 - Technical

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reckon that Brit Row will be providing the sound - Probably either an X-line or an L-Acoustics Line array I'm thinking!

wish I could be on stage crew too!

I think Brit Row usually are involved with alot of the Hyde Park stuff, esp when the BBC are involved.

The Press always hype these things up with made up figures, for example the outdoor stage I worked on was 12m (40ft approx) high. According to the press there was a "100 foot high stage!!!", and much to the sound boys amusement "1km of sound cable!!!!" They wished they had so little.

Lighting doesn't look too bad - it would have been better in the evening tho! [The start was awful]

Yea I know what you mean!

They didn't do it too well!!

Its looking good atm, the video walls help alot.

Looked like there were some ETC Revolutions on booms at the sides a few seconds ago... any ideas?

N

Video on , video off , video on...video OFF, come along now Mr BBC

well - here comes Sir Elton.

The TV mixing is a little better than Glasto which is nice for a change. Understandibly it is live so if it's not great, then that's that.

Good to see some TFM 450 monitors sprawling the whole of the front of the stage - good stuff - me jealous.

What was the problem?

(I'm only listening to the TV feed)

so didn't see anything.

The TV mixing is a little better than Glasto which is nice for a change. Understandibly it is live so if it's not great, then that's that.

What is wrong with the mixing. And are you saying that this is better than all the different people that mixed all the different stages at Glastonbury for the BBC?

Oh and there are some photos backstage showing the insides of some of the BBC radio/comms trucks over there.

James

What was the problem?

(I'm only listening to the TV feed)

They were showing a video that the rest of Hyde Park was seeing, suddenly they lost it, went to Jonathan and he was a bit bemused by it all, they then tried to get back to the video, but seemed to have lost the video and only had the sound.

Then it attempted to settle down....ish

Was a good video as well! Hopefully we can see it later!

What an amazing feat though, the skill of the mixing that goes into this is staggering!

They were showing a video that the rest of Hyde Park was seeing, suddenly they lost it, went to Jonathan and he was a bit bemused by it all, they then tried to get back to the video, but seemed to have lost the video and only had the sound.

I'd guess that there was a quickly made editorial decision (not to show the package) not a technical problem, especially given Chris Martin's comment on it.

Just looked at the pics - that's a LOT of satellite. There's more dishes there than at goonhilly earth station down in cornwall - a friend of mine who works for the bbc said it costs £10/sec to use satellite or something, let alone the cost of your own satellite trucks and ground stations!

Dave

Archived