Live8 - Technical

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any reason why Mr Ross' Guests need radio mics. They are probably wired. Generaly when two mics are used they are used for redundancy and reliability.

As for the costs of Satelite feeds I don't know if you know but this time it is being done in HD (eagle eyed viewers will have noticed that the cameras on stage have thinner fiber out of the back of them compared to the cameras in the pod which have traditional copper triax)

I believe this counts as the first HD Public Relay of pictures in Europe as the HD feed will be used for the BBC's big screen in Cardiff

Of course HD uses a much high bandwidth than traditional standard definition....... a higher costs....

James

Slightly off topic, I've just replaced 2 dodgy lights (twister type effect and an NJD Spectre with its blue bulb stuck on) with 3 par36s in a strip club pointed at the stage. If I can't get the spectres in the main venue downstairs fixed I'll be sticking 8 par 56s there on a DMX dimmer.

Dave

I think it will get better tonight, there will be more atmosphere from the lighting etc.

The click think from Will Smith didn't go to well. The broadcasting between events seems a boit dodgy - but then again it's the first time.

Well, I reckon Snoop's broken the record for the most swear words said in a Live broadcast. Shows that it is truly live though.

I heard that the cost of all this across all the countries is actually nearing the £1 billion mark. Why don't they just give that to the Africans?

Oh, and as for:

Slightly off topic

That's not even slightly opff topic, thats a completely different, non-related in any way comment.

Thought the amount of feedback I was hearing throughout some of the acts was inexcusable, and I'm kinda hacked off at the number of musicians on stage (With mics) who can't be heard. The violin at the beginning of the Boomtown Rats act was a prime example.

Away from technicals for a mo... there seems to be rather a lot of swearing going on? I've heard several variants on the F-word and it's not even 7pm!!!

<Rant>

Back to technicals, I'm getting a bit fed up with the way that the video presentations are being hashed up... If the BBC are really using bias as an excuse, then they should be lining up commentators with such viewpoints as to counter what's being presented by those supporting Live8. Otherwise, they should get on with what they do best - broadcasting the show in the way the show's producers intend.

</Rant>

I think its looking pretty good - was quite funny the reaction bill gates got when he came on stage

(agree with solscate - there has been quite a lot of swearing throughotu it, any no apologies like they normally do when it happens - not that I am bothered by it, ** laughs out loud **)

Archived