Live8 - Technical

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I'd have liked to be incharge either!

But I would love to have been totally involved with it all - I am a bucket waiting to be filled with such professional knowledge and understanding from these companies! Then I can improve the way I do things myself.

I'm watching the bit I recorded as I had to go out during UB40 to the cinema. Snoop Dog is on now - waiting to be exposed to all the apparent swearing! - Oh just heard some! :huh: ;)

Even though I had similar views with regards to all the feedback I was hearing, I would probably create it! if I was engineering! Plus, The vocalist who hold the Mics to close the grille, or cover the rear of it will not be helping! - Omni Mic's are on us!

Well done all - I say.

Think I was a bit overly-harsh about the sound yesterday. Somehow, the TV mix didn't work for me until I cranked the volume to "realistic" levels - then, strangely, all the feedback problems I commented on suddenly became far less noticable and I could get on with enjoying the music! One to remember for the next time I try and listen to a live gig on TV...

Were the TV and Radio mixes done separately? Given the rubbish radio reception round here, I never got a chance to do a quick A/B...

Okay, so the lighting and visual effects were done more for broadcast - but we should perhaps remember that the live audience were far outnumbered by those watching on TV, so it seems logical that the lighting was done this way.

Either way, it was worth watching, was great fun and will hopefully give our politicians some things to mull over next time they have a big decision to make. Top marks go to all who promoted, organised and worked the show. Bottom marks go to some artistes who asked for the moon on a stick before agreeing to do the show, then delivered nothing but un-necessary swears!

Think I was a bit overly-harsh about the sound yesterday.  Somehow, the TV mix didn't work for me until I cranked the volume to "realistic" levels - then, strangely, all the feedback problems I commented on suddenly became far less noticable and I could get on with enjoying the music!  One to remember for the next time I try and listen to a live gig on TV...

Were the TV and Radio mixes done separately? Given the rubbish radio reception round here, I never got a chance to do a quick A/B...

Okay, so the lighting and visual effects were done more for broadcast - but we should perhaps remember that the live audience were far outnumbered by those watching on TV, so it seems logical that the lighting was done this way.

Either way, it was worth watching, was great fun and will hopefully give our politicians some things to mull over next time they have a big decision to make.  Top marks go to all who promoted, organised and worked the show.  Bottom marks go to some artistes who asked for the moon on a stick before agreeing to do the show, then delivered nothing but un-necessary swears!

Yes I think thats a very valid point, I think many people have been quite harsh towards the whole idea of this concert but I belive they pulled it off well, to be honest I dont think their are many concerts which dont experance small amounts of Feedback.

Personnally I would have done more "fancy" stuff with the lighting but thats just me hehe.

John Partridge

<rant>

My friend was telling me yesterday that all the artists in america were given £15k goodie bags for doing their part in the show.

I think this is just appauling, not on at all. - couldn't they have done it for flippin' free? It's a charity event and they're only doing a 15 min set - they do this for a living anyway, it's not like they can't afford to not get money for such a short act, they're all already millionaires anyway.

</rant>

<rant>

My friend was telling me yesterday that all the artists in america were given £15k goodie bags for doing their part in the show.

I think this is just appauling, not on at all. - couldn't they have done it for flippin' free? It's a charity event and they're only doing a 15 min set - they do this for a living anyway, it's not like they can't afford to not get money for such a short act, they're all already millionaires anyway.

</rant>

Im not sure about that one , I heard that bob said to all the acts that they were doing it for free and they all agreed.

Not sure

John Partridge

Personnally I would have done more "fancy" stuff with the lighting but thats just me hehe.

** laughs out loud **... yeah, would have been nice to see some interesting effects with the mac's... I loved the LED walls, very impressive at night (wouldn't mind one of them in my TV room ;) ... same with the lights on the video/speaker towers they looked good at night.... Just a question does any1 no if they used catalyst or Maxxmedia for teh video projection? I have heard heaps of peps using Catalyst (hehe... I love Mac's, so that would be my choice :stagecrew: ) but u dont hear alot about Martin Maxxmedia?!? I think all in all they did a fair job for such a large scale show! I couldn't imagine the stress of tryin 2 pull sumthing like that off :stagecrew: but wld love to assist on sumthing like that :huh: ... Also, does anyone know what they used console wise? I know LX was done on the Whole Hog II... but wat about FOH/Mons?

Matt

edit: Ahh... my bad... I just read back and see that sum1 sayd they think there were 8x Digico D5's? Can any1 give me a 100%?

I think it would be fairly safe to say that it was probably Catalyst driven although I'm not 100%. You don't here so much about Maxxymedia becuase it is realitivly new compared to the Catalyst system. I saw a shoot out between the Maxxy and Catalyst at last years PLASA and I would say that the Catalyst is a far superior product (IMHO).

Sound wise for control didn't someone say it was all DigiCo D5's earlier in the topic?

Sam

I have heard heaps of peps using Catalyst (hehe... I love Mac's, so that would be my choice :stagecrew: ) but u dont hear alot about Martin Maxxmedia?!? I think all in all they did a fair job for such a large scale show! I couldn't imagine the stress of tryin 2 pull sumthing like that off  ;) but wld love to assist on sumthing like that  :huh: ... Also, does anyone know what they used console wise? I know LX was done on the Whole Hog II... but wat about FOH/Mons?

Someone who knows the Catalyst built-in effects (I don't) will be able to confirm if it was Catalyst or not. There were a lot of obviously stock effects going on, some of them I seem to remember from Catalysts before, but I'm not sure.

The sound was done on DiGiCo (and they're flaunting that fact just a bit on their web site) D5Live desks. I'd love to hear how they performed - sounds like some of their features would be a huge help on such a large setup.

I get the impression that the BBC was running everything screen wise? also that the whole thing was TV orientated and not for the live audience, hence why a lot of the lighting to me looked as tho there was no movement or even colour for a lot of it, even in the dark when I was looking forward to them actually doing some real work with movers, I didnt see one gobo wash or anything.

Yes , exactly my opinion, it seemed that their was alot of movers rigged up but they were hardly used, it was a shame.

John Partridge

mmm, seems the visuals were more important from the video walls than the movers, which in fairness always works better for the viewing crowd and TV. Though personally when it comes to lighting design, I'd rather have less video or projection and more visuals created from the way a lighting rig is designed but of course a concert like that (nowadays) is gonna have big LED video screens.

Speaking of LED's, although I thougt the concert was impressive (all different aspects of it) I did feel like I was watching The Wireless Festival with a lil bit of Glast thrown in, mainly because of the LED battens above the stage - they were the exact same design and quantity seen at Wireless, which was a bit off-putting. Did they not have enough time to design the battens in a different arrangement?

Oh and SEHR GUT DEUTSCHLAND for their stage full of classic 'Queen' banks of pars - not as many as in the days of the band though! Mind you, wouldn't have liked to be at the back of that very narrow 'road' of a concert.

Archived