Live8 - Technical

Aswell as the D5's at FOH there was a heritage 3k to submix the d5's and vt etc

Err - question - Heritage to submix the D5's? Were the D5's not digital into soundwebs and thence the fibre back to converters on-stage? I've seen the Brit Row D5 setup at close quarters and I very much got the impression they like to stay digital...?

Yes the hertiage also handled the presenter mics and videos etc aswell, the d5s just ran each stage so this allowed the band enginners to sort there desk without someone else in there away as far as im aware they didnt go digital to the soundwebs and the xline used iris on the p3000rl's to control them.

This was all gathered as I was in the warehouse preping live8 gear while others were prepped the desks aswell as working there myself saturday.

I couldnt tell you why the entire system wasn't xline I do no however some of the xline was subrented but on a gig of that scale I doubt many companys could cover it all with there own gear, aswell as brit row having other shows and another festival out that weekend.

Little Edit toanswer more questions.

There were 4 racks of bss splits used in pairs to provide 56 splits for each stage. these then ran into seperates stage racks for the d5s for foh and monitors and each desk had its own local rack aswell. Then each desk had a optical run to its stage rack. The broadcast then also hada feed from the splits. The splits also had 10db of pad on the input and 10db of gain on the other side to prevents clipping them which would be bad for broadcast especially.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were no problems with the revolve, people seemed to assume it wasn't there because they didn't see it go around, but it did every time!!

The delays were partly due to the fact that the running order had it coming down at 22:20 but included virtually no time for changes and only 5 mins per song, Travis then added a song, and the Boom-Town Rats song was a late addition.

Also some acts took longer to sound-check when they had gone around than was planned. The actual set-up tended to take about 5 mins and was amazing to watch as it was so smooth for something with so little rehearsal!

Richard

I was one of the 7 lighting Tecs on the main stage - believe me those who say they wanted to be there - did not. Long cold days, talking 18/20 hours rubbish toilets etc etc , but come show day - who cares what a show!!!

Lighting was from studio colours, mac 200, syncrolite, Vl2416 and loads of pixel line running on 3 Hog 2's.

Pixel drive was running the pixels.

PRG provided all lighting, including trees, audience and hospitality areas.

Load out was Sunday during the day and the rig was taken to Scotland for the show tomorrow.

Will put up more info and Pics if required, but still soooo tired to see let alone type.

Pete barns was the LD and Operator.

6 Trucks worth of lights, around 30 Tonns.

I was one of the 7 lighting Tecs on the main stage - believe me those who say they wanted to be there - did not. Long cold days, talking 18/20 hours rubbish toilets etc etc , but come show day - who cares what a show!!!

Lighting was from studio colours, mac 200, syncrolite, Vl2416 and loads of pixel line running on 3 Hog 2's.

Pixel drive was running the pixels.

PRG provided all lighting, including trees, audience and hospitality areas.

Load out was Sunday during the day and the rig was taken to Scotland for the show tomorrow.

Will put up more info and Pics if required, but still soooo tired to see let alone type.

Pete barns was the LD and Operator.

6 Trucks worth of lights, around 30 Tonns.

Yes please could you post the pics and the info.

John Partridge

Archived