Live8 - Technical

Looks like bamboo to me!

The sound mix to the TV at the start of razor light was rubbish, vocals too loud, drums to quiet lead guitar v. quiet and no sound from the keyboard till it came on a bit too loud, they appear to be getting the hang of it a little further into the set.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought the amount of feedback I was hearing throughout some of the acts was inexcusable

Really? Inexcusable? I'd say they are doing a bloody good job on stage given the number of inputs, the lack of soundchecks, wedges everywhere, various different vocal mics (probably artist-specified), feeds back into the stage from broadcast trucks, lack of time for line checking etc. That combined with the number of IEMS in use (and the relevant outboard that comes along with that) makes it hard work.

It's really on-the-edge stuff and as far as I can tell they're doing a great job.

It's really on-the-edge stuff and as far as I can tell they're doing a great job.

Okay - I stand corrected, perhaps I should have detailed my full thoughts rather than just the cynical and negative. I do agree that generally it's been an excellent show, and that under the circumstances the crew are doing a pretty darn good job - better than I'm likely to do in similar circumstances.

Some things to understand about why I think any feedback other than the odd squawk is inexcusable:

1) I'm fussy, as are my regular clients

2) I'm likely coloured a little by some bad experience of some companies I've worked for.

3) Feedback hurts. Lots. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try to sue an engineer or production company soon for feedback-induced hearing damage. Even if they are unsuccessful, it's more hassle than we need.

4) In my job, I'd be fired in an instant if a show being mixed by myself or one of my crew had even half as much feedback as was present in Madonna's "Like A Prayer"

Anyways, on a happier note, Scissor Sisters passed without a hitch, and so far Velvet Revolver are sounding rather sweet. :huh:

1)  I'm fussy, as are my regular clients

These aren't regular clients though. It's a huge 1 off show with almost no rehearsals and preparation time. I'm sure all the crew are working as hard as they can - wouldn't you be with so many people watching/listening?

I thought there was ment to be a delay to blank f***'s. 

There are apologies on raido. 

Are the bbc showing the full US gig at 9? 

Madonna's f**k was about as spontaneous as Janet J's t!t flash. Why? What did she hope to gain?

I'd have to agree, there is nothing gained from adding an unnecessary f*** to a

Sign the Petition!
and it makes it awkward for me, I don't mind but when I'm watching with my 4 and 5 year old sisters I can't risk them running round tomorrow shouting f*** etc, the 'rents won't be at all impressed.

Ah well, artistes are uncontrollable...

Chris

Did anyone else notice that Snow Patrol's lead guitarists radio transmitter for his guitar died when they played 'Run'? It sounded terrible! I think that was the band and song... Can't remember for sure though.

I thought Snow Patrol sounded a lot worse than they did on their album, obviously there is chance for many takes etc in the studio but their lead singer sounded like he was shaking a lot, massively nervous I guess.

Chris

** laughs out loud **!!

Just heard Mariah Carey *ask* for a mic stand, then announce it was cool if they didn't have one around!! 

See?  Not all artists are unreasonable!!

I didn't say unreasonable, if you were referring to my post, I said uncontrollable, earlier someone chucked his handheld rad up in the air, I don't think he caught it either, but I'm definitely impressed. ]

Chris

Archived