I wish they made....

Bryson

I seems to me the issue is more about the overall rating of the unit. If a twin is rated at 26A, then 4 of them have an overall rating of 104A, which if fed by a suitable supply would be fine.

What are the chances of manufacturing a single, 8-way unit rated at 104A? 

4 hours ago, marktownend said:

Surely @adam2 you're after a 9 way version not an 8 way as otherwise your caterers will have to unplug something to be able to plug their radio in? Sorry...

Use a "death cube" or similar, in line with normal kitchen practice. Or unplug one appliance that is not in use.

I use 16A (2.5mm) cables for the run and use a 13A-16A adaptor at ther front. Only 25cm cable, so no significant volt drop. A 16A - 6x13 at the other end sorts out socketry. I also have similar adaptors for 32A cables if a really long run is needed.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ANDYLASER said:

I use 16A (2.5mm) cables for the run and use a 13A-16A adaptor at ther front. Only 25cm cable, so no significant volt drop. A 16A - 6x13 at the other end sorts out socketry. I also have similar adaptors for 32A cables if a really long run is needed.

Yes that's a pretty standard sort of arrangement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 9:38 AM, sleah said:

I seems to me the issue is more about the overall rating of the unit. If a twin is rated at 26A, then 4 of them have an overall rating of 104A, which if fed by a suitable supply would be fine.

What are the chances of manufacturing a single, 8-way unit rated at 104A? 

about nil.few situations would need over 100 amps in a small area, and a lot of premises only have 100 amps per phase available in any case. A unit with a total capacity of 104 amps would need to accept at least 35mm cable which is rather unmanageable.

The 13 amp fused version would be useful in homes and workplaces where large numbers of low loading appliances are expected, E.G. TV set, a couple of lamps, laptop pc, cellphone charger, cable TV box, iternet router etc.

The unfused version would be suited to heavier loads as found in kitchens etc.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alistermorton said:

Some manufacturers use switched 5 pin connectors for automatic termination of the DMX line so they do exist in some forms.

Is that an actual physical switch contact like inside a jack, or do they use some other method to detect an ongoing DMX chain?

23 hours ago, themadhippy said:

xlr connectors with switching contacts like wot  jack sockets have.

That might be interesting once some phantom power gets loose. 

A few years back a college theatre near me wiped out the HF in all of their loudspeakers. The installers had put every connection on a (non-switching) XLR patch-bay, and some genius had managed to connect a phantom powered mic input to the amplifier inputs, with noisy and expensive results. 

For those after "more" 13A sockets - MK do a triple with inbuilt fuse.

No use in the UK, but here in down-underland there are (unfused) quad 10A sockets, which is designed to replace a standard double.  I believe it's rated at 10A overall, which given it will probably be on a radial circuit, 2.5mm with a 20A breaker, could lead to interesting happenings.....

We also have four ways with ten sockets (with inbuilt 10A breaker), which are useful in many circumstances, theatrical and otherwise.