I wish they made....

Bryson

A three-phase inverter powered by a chunky drill battery or two, light and portable enough to be comfortably carried with a shoulder strap like a handbag, that outputs enough power to run a hoist. Doesn't need enough power to lift a load, as long as it'll do to run the chain through and float the hoist itself.

Not as difficult to do as it sounds. Most inverters have a chunky DC rail inside which should be reasonably easy to connect to. A friend works for a switchgear company and gave me a hand drawn illustration of how to do this. It had a number of additional components on it, and was for a specific Siemens inverter drive. It's stashed away safely somewhere! I'll see if I can find it.

Now the likes of Dewalt are doing their high voltage flexvolt batteries, one battery may well be enough anyway. I seem to recall the DC voltage was around 60.

This MAY already exist, but I've yet to see anything that satisfies my ideals...

Only any use if you use a Mac of course, but worth checking out the timeline feature that was added to QLab a while back. Very easy to drag cues to the time you want them.

This MAY already exist, but I've yet to see anything that satisfies my ideals...

Only any use if you use a Mac of course, but worth checking out the timeline feature that was added to QLab a while back. Very easy to drag cues to the time you want them.

Ugh!

Sorry, I am a little averse to the Apple stock I'm afraid :(

A software package that you can import your favourite audio file and EASILY set up cue markers alongside that file that you can then send to trigger specified cues your favourite LX desk, be that as MIDI or other protocol.

SCS ??

A software package that you can import your favourite audio file and EASILY set up cue markers alongside that file that you can then send to trigger specified cues your favourite LX desk, be that as MIDI or other protocol.

SCS ??

Nope - we have a full SCS license - it will work the other way round, ie sound cues can be assigned to specific DMX channels, and that works very well, but what I'd love is a simple trigger mechanism to fire off DMX cues from an audio file.

I though I remembered that you don't do Mac, but worth pointing out that what you want does exist.

A couple of the guys here DO use me-stuff, but as I recall they were looking at Qlab last year and ended up spending a couple of hours or more trying to timecode a 30 second intro to a musical number and even then failed to get it to run right (and for some reason ended up linking TWO macs to do even that.

Maybe they were doing something not quite right, but...

I've heard multiple recommendations for Adobe Audition for doing this with timecode shows. You can put markers in at cue points and then export them to a lighting console as timecode events. It's mentioned at some point it this video.

Martin

Not theatrical* but we would all benefit; A Teleport. Powered by a potato (see The long Earth for reference), simple to use, no chance a big corporation could buy it up, next best thing to free.

No more traffic jams, no pollution, anyone could be anywhere in seconds - thus breaking down all the barriers so afflicting humanity.

*Could also be used to get followspots up to impossibly remote balconies.

off topic I know but I'm now stuck with the idea of having to step out to the low megs with a cyrano to find the correct Earth where the topography matches the internal height of the balcony in Earth-0 ...

• Like 1

off topic I know but I'm now stuck with the idea of having to step out to the low megs with a cyrano to find the correct Earth where the topography matches the internal height of the balcony in Earth-0 ...

I've read this sentence eight times and can't make sense of it. Am I having a stroke?

Already been done - you need a Furse clone of a Patt 45. Sucked all the light out of an area.

I don't believe the Furse one could have been worse than a real Strand one! 500W fresnel without a reflector which they could have made out of cheap soup spoons!

I've read this sentence eight times and can't make sense of it. Am I having a stroke?

No, you just need to have read "The Long Earth" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. And got used to the idea that even if you read the book from the beginning, it feels like you started in the middle ...

I though I remembered that you don't do Mac, but worth pointing out that what you want does exist.

A couple of the guys here...

Maybe they were doing something not quite right, but...

The usual suspects?

Possibly.... Edited by Ynot

Not exactly what you asked but having recently done the Chamsys course, I was quite impressed at the timeline feature which lets you easily set up cues at specific times - incorporate the audio file within the cue stack and just press go at the appropriate times to record those timings. Also easily editable after the fact. Of course if Chamsys isn't your favourite LX desk, you're out of luck ;)

Thinking slightly further out of the box though, Pangolin's Quickshow, whilst primarily designed for lasers, has a very good visual timeline that you can set up cue markers on alongside the audio waveform which can trigger DMX outputs. Possibly other protocols too. Might be worth exploring.