I wish they made....

Bryson

2 hours ago, adam2 said:

13 amp plugs designed to neatly and safely accept 2.5mm 3 core flex to reduce voltage drop in extension leads.

These models will take a 2.5mm flex without any problems. I've sometimes used them for 13 to 16 jumps, (and Crown Macrotech amps...)

I'm not sure about matching trailing sockets, though. Possibly the ones in the same range, but I haven't tried them myself. 

2 hours ago, adam2 said:

An EIGHT gang 13 amp socket for fixed installation use, not a trailing socket for extension leads. Useful when large numbers of sockets are needed. Two versions, one with a 13 amp fuse when it is desired to limit the total load, and one without any such fuse and rated at 32 or 40 amps in total.

Yes - I'll take a dozen of each please. 

1 hour ago, Stuart91 said:

... I'm not sure about matching trailing sockets, though. Possibly the ones in the same range, but I haven't tried them myself. 

Yes - I'll take a dozen of each please. 

In my last job before I retired we used something very similar to this:

https://bownetcms.co.uk/shop/data-cabinets/19-wall-box-accessories/power-distribution-units-pdu/uk-13a-bs1363-socket-12-way-vertical-rack-mount-pdu/

Quite expensive but very robust. Oh, and it was nearly 20 years ago!

3 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

These models will take a 2.5mm flex without any problems. I've sometimes used them for 13 to 16 jumps, (and Crown Macrotech amps...)

I was going to say that 2.5mm²  will go into most 13A plugs with a bit of fiddling but those in particular  work quite well

3 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

I'm not sure about matching trailing sockets, though. Possibly the ones in the same range, but I haven't tried them myself. 

I'm not sure I've ever struggled to get 2.5mm² flex into any trailing socket. I tend to use these now 13A Rubber Socket, 1 Gang Orange - Permaplug | CPC (farnell.com) and 2 Gang Heavy Duty Rubber Trailing Socket, White - Permaplug | CPC (farnell.com)  and 4 Gang Heavy Duty Rubber Trailing Socket, Orange - Permaplug | CPC (farnell.com) which are probably part of the same range

Previously successfully used lots of these image.png.d2b1b4a1b39f3eb44fbde9874cc398da.png which CPC don't seem to supply now.

Of course there are thing like these Economy Trailing Socket - Pro Elec | CPC (farnell.com) at 87p but I wouldn't consider them for show use and doubt I've ever tried 2.5mm² in them.

An EIGHT gang 13 amp socket for fixed installation use, not a trailing socket for extension leads. Useful when large numbers of sockets are needed. Two versions, one with a 13 amp fuse when it is desired to limit the total load, and one without any such fuse and rated at 32 or 40 amps in total.

An unfused 8 gang  would require a rewrite of the wiring regs making them  a bit pricey even if you never fitted one

2 hours ago, themadhippy said:

An unfused 8 gang  would require a rewrite of the wiring regs making them  a bit pricey even if you never fitted one

In what way is it different to 4 twin sockets ? except in neatness and ease of wiring.

3 minutes ago, themadhippy said:

hence why those 3 gang sockets are fitted  with a fuse,just in case there fed as a spur off the ring

If you follow that to the logical conclusion, every double socket should have a 13amp fuse fitted in case it's fed as a spur and someone plugs two tea urns into it. 

every double socket should have a 13amp fuse fitted in case it's fed as a spur and someone plugs two tea urns into it. 

26A aint to much over the rating of 2.5mm in most cases so not too much of a worry and remember we should only be drawing a maximum of 20A from double sockets anyways

If y proposed 8 gang sockets were supplied by a single 2.5mm cable then the cable should be protected by a suitably rated MCB, probably 20 amp, possibly 25 amp. Just like any other 2.5mm radial circuit with multiple 13 amp sockets.

If supplied by TWO cables each 2.5mm as part of a ring circuit then the usually used 30 amp fuse or 32 amp MCB would be suitable. Just like any other ring final circuit with multiple 13 amp sockets.

If supplied by a single 4mm cable then a 32 amp MCB would be used as for 4 number twin sockets on a radial circuit.

If the 8 gang socket was designed for a total loading of 40 amps, then a 40 amp MCB and cable to suit could be used. Such an arrangement could be very useful in a small catering kitchen, for perhaps

Kettle, toaster, microwave, dishwasher, coffee machine,  infra red grill, portable fan, radio, cellphone charger.

im not disagreeing that such a beast would be dam handy,but to introduce such a beastie would require a change to the regs.Also apprentices would hate them,chopping the back box in would be a bugger of a job,those old cooker panels were bad enough.

Edited by themadhippy

30 minutes ago, alistermorton said:

I'm not a qualified electrician, which is why I ask, but to me an eight way unit fed by two cables, in and out as part of a ring is conceptually the same as 4 double sockets in a ring - or am I wrong, and if so, why?

This is a genuine question; I'd like to understand. 

There is no difference between my proposed 8 gang socket, and four twin sockets mounted adjacent to each other. Except in neatness and ease of wiring. It would be poor practice to install the 8 gang socket near one end of the ring, but no worse than 4 twin sockets.

17 hours ago, adam2 said:

Close - Extension Lead Power Strip, THOWALL 7 Way Extension Plug Sockets with Cable, Wall Mountable Power Socket, 13amp Power Distribution Unit Rack Mount with Mounting Brackets, Surge Protection,1,8M: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Spot on - 19" Rackmount Power Distribution Unit, 8 Gang, 3 Pin UK Sockets - Adastra | CPC (farnell.com)

8 ways in a trailing lead - Extension Lead with USB Slots, 8 Way Outlets Power Strip with 4 USB Ports, 1800J Surge Protection Double Switch Plug Extension with 1.8M Braided Extension Cord for Home, Office: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo   (LOTS more of that type on Amazon)

an eight way unit fed by two cables, in and out as part of a ring is conceptually the same as 4 double sockets in a ring - or am I wrong,

Nope your not wrong,the problem is with spurs off  the ring ,as it stands only 1 double or 1 single socket per unfused spur is permitted,and its because of this that 3 gang sockets are fitted with a fuse,to protect us from numptys.