Stage set storage

ekul1978

I'm after some advice guys on the best options to store stage sets. We currently are starting to hire out a few of our stage sets that I have built to other schools, colleges etc. but am struggling to store them all. We do have a 40' container however everything that goes in there ends up going mouldy and is then more or a pain to clean up/repair. I have asked work about building me a brick store but money and council regulations are putting a stop to that. A temporary wooden structure (lean to style) attached onto the side of out current drama studio is a potential option although money again is proving a problem at the moment. Priced up it would be around £1500 without labour. Im just looking to see if anyone else has any ideas or pre-made cheap solutions. ideally looking for around 10mx5m x4m high.

Thanks Luke

Thanks for the reply, I had thought about that but the container is nowhere near a power supply. I could run something to it but its jumping through the hoops with schools and energy use etc etc etc. They are a pain. Happy to receive the money from the hires but not to give me some to store things so we can continue to hire stuff out in the future. In case anyone suggests we should use any money already obtained form hiring on a space that's a no go. The bright sparks here have decided to spend £1000 on two new doors for our studio. Why oh why oh why. :(

Sweaty containers are normally down to lack of airflow. Even a few holes will cure that. Even better, some proper louvered grilles, with a mesh on the back to stop vermin and larger insects, at each end will give a decent flow through.

The shipping container is the solution to your problem; it's exactly what they are designed for - anything else will have exactly the same problems and probably lots more.

Spend some time properly inspecting and maintaining the container (paint the rusty bits, make sure there's not spilled liquid inside) so that it's physically working as it should. You then need to decide how often you will actually be opening it up - if it's regularly then you need to get a proper ventilation system going inside it. Some small cut-outs in the side of the container with proper external fan louvres, a few powerful PC fans, a battery and a solar trickle-charger will give you enough moving air to eliminate a lot of moisture problems.

If you're only opening it occasionally then chemical dehumidifiers are exactly what you need (sold at wicks, B&Q, all the usual online sites) with large bags of the refill crystals. Each time you open the container make it a rule that the liquid is emptied out and the crystals topped up. One of those the size of a pencil case typically pulls a mug full of water out of the air in my spare bedroom every week so 4-5 of them in a shipping container should shift your moisture no problem at all. Once you've invested in the plastic gadgets you can buy just the refill crystals on ebay for a lot less than the branded official refills cost.

Spray foam coating the ceiling of the container is a popular solution for stopping dripping condensation.

Secondary roof spaced above container top as a sunshade can help it ovening if its in direct sunlight.

Gentle air movement is what stops things getting mouldy, Tom`s suggestion of fans from solar charger a good one.

Interesting run through of some options

http://www.budgetshippingcontainers.co.uk/info/the-ultimate-guide-to-shipping-container-condensation-treatments/

I don't think you have a storage problem I think you have an economic problem. You say they appreciate the income from hires but do not want to invest in making that income possible. It isn't too technically difficult as ITom and others show but you need to set the ground rules on the money side of things.

They need to be told that others can espouse cakeism but it doesn't work, they cannot have it and eat it. If they want the benefits they need to speculate to accumulate otherwise it might be politic to get a few really expensive giant skip quotes to leave lying around.

Secondary roof spaced above container top as a sunshade can help it ovening if its in direct sunlight.

A coat of white paint directly onto the container roof can help too. We have a metal loading door on our workshop that faces the setting sun. On hot days, it was uncomfortable to touch, and was radiating heat into the room. A coat of white hammerite and it's much more comfortable.

A solar panel may offer some free power to a moderate ventilation fan, ensuring that the existing vents are clear, making additional vents with insect mesh and rain screens may also help. Is the container clear of surface water?

However a report to your committee saying that "the set for ---- may have to be disposed because of excessive wet rot or dry rot" may sharpen their concentration.

Keeping props and sets in good condition is NOT a zero cost operation.

We use a container as a wood store (for ply/mdf/planed) and bought a "furniture grade " one

Dunno what the difference is but there plainly is one. It is as dry as a bone

It gets sun in the afternoon but not in the morning

Random searchhttps://www.shippingcontainersuk.com/brands/30ft_containers_second_hand.php

There are products such as the Absorpole which are designed for containers. Basically a huge dessicant stick. No idea if they work and my preferred option would be mains power and a dehumidifier. If you can get one that has a pipe outlet (lots of cheap ones do) then run the pipe out through a small hole.

A container that sits on the ground, or has holes in roof sides or floor will accumulate moisture, probably beyond dehumidification.

Roof mounted solar panels (say 1KW) will possibly power a battery/inverter setup to run a mains dehumidifier (from B&Q et al). A metal 25l bucket with lid will hold enough silica gel to dehumidify the space for a while, then need regenerating at 120C for a day. 10 kilos of silica gel is readily available through ebay.

One contact of mine who had need to store this kind of thing used surplus box bodied artic trailers. But this was in his own yard with no need for aesthetic considerations and he dealt in commercials anyway. They were though pretty problem free. Thinking about your situation though I do wonder whether it really is worth all the bother for what is probably a small return. I can imagine that a good bit of your time will be spent emptying the thing to get the item from the back, then you have to put it all back, then you have to check it all out and back. Knowing when most school productions take place I'll bet it will come back when you should be on holiday - or weeks later when you're busy getting started on a new term. It was this kind of thing that put a stop to me lending anything to another institution when I was in education. It seems like a good/easy idea but I found in the end it was more trouble than it was worth. If it's surplus to your requirements and they want the set sell it to them for the cost of the materials plus and make the income that way.

Archived