Which Torch?

Hi,

This is probably a stupid thing to ask, but I was wondering what peoples preferences were when it comes to torches in the entertainment world? I have a little basic Mag light, but I'm thinking high power, LED torch with a 'holster'.

Can anyone suggest any good ones, or good experiences of any?

Thanks

Surely it depends what you mean by 'the entertainment world'? I've got a couple of Petzl tikkina headtorches which are decent enough quality to be comfortable and to give a bit of light, cheap enough not to worry too much about them and easy enough to use backstage as they keep your hands free. However, they're not great outdoors - if you're doing site stuff in a field then they're a bit pathetic!

Which bits of the entertainment world are you thinking of? Backstage in a theatre (or improvised theatre) waiting for a cue? Tramping up a country lane in the rain at midnight to get to a lighting installation? Needing to illuminate the LX desk because the desklamp's gone? Wanting to see what you're doing on a focus whilst up a scissor lift? I've been in all of those situations and for me, a small headtorch is the best solution, but for others a massive LED maglite might be better.

Sorry to be vague, but perhaps it helps to hone your question so others can answer better?

I have a Petzl Tikka (the simple on-off switch version bought in the gap between matinee and evening show on my first shift at Derby Playhouse some years ago and still going strong) that is my main work light, and then a cheap amazon cree torch for when I need something narrow and superbright for shining up into a roof or across a field.

This combination seems to do me fine. Whilst having the brightest/biggest/etc might seem attractive, it's all a bit juvenile. A stupidly bright torch is no good for subtly checking a prop/practical/running order in the wings, or running on to fix something, and is blinding when you have it on for digging around in the back of racks.

I see what you mean. I'm thinking high output for outside (long distance) environment.

I have a little head torch, but I'm looking for a heavy duty torch for observing things at a distance. Ideally with some kind of a zoom on it and a holster.

I've managed for a long time to resist getting one of these as I don't really need one. I already have a good head torch, a clip on gooseneck, and miniature keyring that clips to my belt, but I do sort of miss the huge Maglite which I lost a few years ago.

Does look good though and may be what you want.

The lensers are amazing I have been looking at the p5. They are phenominaly bright !

I HAD a great head torch, I cannot remember the brand right now but it had a dimmer on it and a red led for "night" stuff, it was great.

On site I take 99p Store Black Dog head torches. At that price you can lose them or give them away at the end of the job. Cool they ain't but it's always good to have a couple in your site box.At that price it is an extra bit of PPE.

Archived