Very out of touch - providing evidence I can work here!

paulears

It seems the law must be written in a suitably vague way so as to allow individual companies to (mis)interpret as they see fit.

My own experience of working in the education sector is that the university employing me as a Visiting Lecturer was satisfied with a scan of my expired passport. (I had no plans to travel so hadn't got round to renewing it)

(this proved quite expensive when I did later get some overseas work at fairly short notice and had to use the one day service... but that's another story)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dear employer (a University) went through an exercise a few years ago where all staff had to bring in evidence (passport, birth cert etc) to prove they were eligible to work in UK. However, they only applied these criteria to people who had worked there for less than 15 years. The “old timers” were exempt.

Can you send a certified copy of your passport? Surely that's as good as the original? I do recall having to take my passport (with working visa) to employers in the UK to prove I was legit - and this was ten years ago - but then I am very obviously a Kiwi!

Gridgirl got there first. I've never heard of anywhere...even the Australian embassy when I was applying for my visa...that wouldn't accept a certified copy of my documents. Indeed, they specifically requested that originals NOT be sent.

On top of that, I've never asked for...or been asked for...my passport or birth certificate in the process of hiring an employee. When I moved to the UK, I had to fill in passport (and, in my case the visa) details on a form but that was it.

It all sounds very dodgy to me--a best a delaying tactic and, at worst, an attempt at identity theft either by the company or a rogue employee.

I'd be ringing somebody in that company's senior management to query the whole thing--and I certainly would NOT let them have original documents.

Is normal "form" not to have a copy and double signed with contact details of 2 people. Thats how passport photos are (or were when I got mine done), one has to be a person known to you for x years, the other a senior manager of the company you are with, preacher, MP, or two others I cant remember but are classed "reputable". If they wont take the word of a minister(religious or political) who will they trust.

Right to work check list.pdf

Here is the checklist - note the Home Office requirement for original documents. You can see that they remove the ability to use short birth certificates by the requirement for parents details - which are missing from the short versions or extract only versions. It requires documents in the plural - so minimum of two, which for most is passport and birth certificate. If you don't have a passport - you would indeed appear to be stuck!

Right to work check list.pdf

Here is the checklist - note the Home Office requirement for original documents. You can see that they remove the ability to use short birth certificates by the requirement for parents details - which are missing from the short versions or extract only versions. It requires documents in the plural - so minimum of two, which for most is passport and birth certificate. If you don't have a passport - you would indeed appear to be stuck!

Oh yeah, when I had to prove I was eligible to continue working in the UK I had no current passport and had to get it renewed in order to provide proof.

When I worked for a Students' Union I had to complete this rigmarole every year, as does my sister currently at another University.

That checklist has been interpreted as (one item from List A) OR ((one item from List B Group 1) AND (one item from List B Group 2)) in both of our cases; I do not have a passport and she does.

EDIT: Although checking this document https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/311668/Code_of_practice_on_preventing_illegal_working.pdf this may not have been correct...

Almost seems like having a passport has become compulsory,or an ID card by stealth if I was the cynical type

Not cynical - just right. Mind you until that deputy head accused of murder was found to have falsified most of his qualifications I'd never at any stage of working been asked to prove my identity after enrolling at college and being allocated my DES number! It made me think... Soon after that the passport check became quite common and I was certainly asked to produce mine as long ago as 2000 when working on contract with a local authority.

Archived