Very out of touch - providing evidence I can work here!

paulears

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if you have an accident, they want proof of free treatment?

My son had a burst appendix - which they operated on successfully, and then he discovered he was allergic to penicillin and blew up like an elephant. He then got a bill for £16 for the two antibiotics that put him back in hospital. £16 for medicine that had to be thrown away, but only one was the problem, they said, but easier to try two new ones. My wife took the bill in, complained, and they cancelled it!

So let's get this straight......

If you are born and bred in the UK and have no desire to leave anytime soon, making you what could reasonably be described as a "native", then it is quite possible, in order to work in your native land, you have to apply for documents to allow you legally escape the country, even though talk of leaving is totally and utterly irrelevant?

You basically have to prove your right to go to any other country in order to work in your own, native country?

You can prove to the government at the drop of a hat (and cross their palm with gold) with relative ease that you have the right to leave the country, in order they give you a bit of paper to prove your right to leave the country. Yet there is no other way, shape or form of giving that proof anybody else other than ONE government department.

And this is the same country that welcomes immigrants from pretty well anywhere in the world and hands out money to them like sweets....

:blink:

My reading of the articles I've seen is that talk of having to produce a passport to get any NHS treatment is over-egging the pudding somewhat.

The NHS departments and GPs are already supposed to check that only those who are entitled to "free" NHS treatment (i.e. those who are British citizens) get it, and "health tourists" can't just rock up and leach treatment. However, historically, these checks have been lax. This is just re-iterating that requirement, and tightening the qualifying criteria for referrals. Anyone who is a British citizen (i.e. entitled to NHS treatment) and is already registered with a GP and has been for years shouldn't see any difference, AIUI. New registrations may have to produce a passport or other identification of origin as it were.

A&E will still operate on a treat first, ask questions later basis.

Surely anEHIC cardwould do the job? It entitles you to free treatment anywhere in Europe and you only need an NI number to get one (it's free too).

A UK issued EHIC card entitles you to free treatment within the the EEC and a few other countries but not in the country, i.e. UK, of issue.

It is assumed that you are already entitled to free health care in the UK as you have, or should have, already been registered in the UK health system.

Cheers

Gerry

My Canadian girlfriend was surprised at the lack of interest in any identity proofs or checks when she registered for a Dr here.

Most (all?) GP's are basically private businesses contracted to the NHS and tend to be the ones who refer patients to hospitals. I would have thought that central government had a vested interest in checking that all GP registered patients were legit and not part of a fraud, or not entitled for some reasonAlthough I am not convinced that health tourism is such a huge % of the overall bill, they could just bill the GP for all the costs incurred unless the GP is shown to have applied due diligence in confirming the patient's status

It is easier to be registered at a Dr than borrow a library book. (Or get a plasma card)

Quite so, but they "have to be seen to be doing something".

That is always the worst reason for anything. My link takes you to a bunch of guidance notes one of which is "DMG Vol 2 Ch 7 Part 3: Habitual residence and right to reside".

Try reading it before making any comments about the rights of immigrants and try to bear in mind that the right to reside is not 100% automatic even for those born in the UK. Children of foreign mothers now have to pay thousands to be allowed into the country even though born here. Anyone who leaves for three months has to prove right to reside even if they hold a UK passport.

The consequences of kneejerk reactions to migrant concerns mean you all now need to prove right to reside before you can be employed legally, gain access to benefits and services like the NHS and much else. Be very careful what you vote for on 7th May, you might just get it and not like it one bit.

Health tourism figures are low because hospitals don't get paid for the tourists so they don't want to find them.

What bugs me as much is the number of patients who speak NO english, for which the hospital has to employ and provide FOC translator/advocates in 52 languages at the hospital I work at.

Archived