Fully accessible theatre

xllx

A friend of mine is involved in a possible project to create a fully accessible theatre. This would mean allowing access for wheelchair users and people with other physical disabilities to places such as fly floors, control room, lighting bridges etc. 

I have a vague recollection of reading about a theatre, possibly a school or community theatre built like this some years ago.

Anyone know of a theatre space that is fitted out with disabled access throughout?

No, but a place I worked in was built to be as accessible as possible. 
This involved a cable net / tension wire grid in one of three theatre spaces.

Never saw a wheelchair in there, but given a thin carpet or ply sheet, I imagine that a wheelchair could be used on it (with assistance)  The problems that I can think of would be lifting lanterns to the bars, roughly a metre above the net. Plus negotiating their way across the net using some kind of roadway which has to be removed before a show. The net is akin to a chain link fence and I imagine that a wheelchair has a worse time moving over it than a walking person. We used carpet tiles if up on the wire in trainers for a long time.

There wasn’t a fly tower in any space as flown scenery was limited to stuff that was hung rather than in/out

The rest was basically designed with flat floors, a suitable passenger lift, fire refuges etc.

One issue that would be a possible issue ? Heavy doors with auto closers. Handles possibly too high. Doors that opened quite wide could be a nightmare if in a chair.

EDIT. Actually - the biggest space could be wheelchair friendly as the lighting was in two truss frames which maybe would be accessible if the deads on the motors were altered (all things being checked) However more often than not the moveable seats were under a truss so to give true access the seats would have to be shifted.

Edited by Dave m

I guess it depends, We were not "fully accessible" but IIR we had wider doors all over, control room was big enough to use a chair in for sure. ground control fly bars, Focus would be an issue unless you bounced. It would need someone to start the work with soca across from the stage boxes in the roof, and floor boxes not exactly easy to get to from a chair. Possible yes, perfect, no. 

It's been a little while since I was last in there, but I'm pretty sure many areas of the Liverpool Everyman are relatively accessible (physical aspects of the job notwithstanding)- flys are all automated, and the lighting gantries were designed wide enough for wheelchairs.

There are some photos here:
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/gallery/liverpool-echo-invited-first-look-6737444

Edited by IRW

I am not sure that it is either possible or desirable to create a 100% accessible theatre workspace for 100% of disabled people and am positive that risk management would be impossible. In risk you are always looking at "worst possible" and a person in a wheelchair on the grid when power goes off is about as nightmarish as it gets. You would need to build in loads of able bodied staff and loads of time in every process undertaken so I wouldn't even think of facilities until I had an in depth understanding of the wishes of the disabled people and the limitations of their disability. 

Yes, with enough money and technology there is a huge amount that can be achieved but it has to fit the needs. Some disabled people can achieve wondrous things but some things are too onerous or dangerous for them and those around them. Having access is a great benefit, not being able to do anything when you get there is as frustrating as not having access.

• Upvote 1

If designing a "fully" accessible theatre needs some guard rails on the concept:  Accessibility is not necessarily about ensuring anyone can do any task - it is about trying to remove as many obstacles as possible safely, and adapting what can be adapted. 

First thought would be to do away with counterweight/manual flys and go straight to automation. A fully powered flying system removes a huge number of barriers.

Inspection and test of flying systems... I don't think you can reasonably accommodate wheelchair users in any configuration to enable them to undertake a proper inspection and test - flying hardware is generally packed in tight and you need to be able to look above, between and behind things that are most likely going to be sitting above head height.

Lighting is fairly easily adapted. I would bring bars to the workers instead of making wheelchair accessible gantries - as reach can often be an issue for wheelchair users. Bounce focus may take longer, but risk assessment hat on, it's safer.

Sound - fairly easy - although if you are also adapting for dexterity issues then you will want to go for something with a more spacious control surface. 

Accessible design for actors is already well established, however you may want to look at tactile indicators near stage edges etc.

But the biggest and best thing to do - reach out and engage with the target users. There are accessibility consultants out there. There are performance troupes composed of people with impairments. Involve them in the design process. Walk through the various tasks with them. Ask what they would like in a space like this. What is critical, what is not. 

A place I worked at once booked a disabled theatre company only to discover that the cast couldn’t access the stage.

while I support the concept “fully accessible” is questionable. You’re not going to be able to make any adaptation for a blind lighting op, or a deaf sound guy (I have worked with some that I am sure were deaf) There are tasks in many jobs that are simply not suitable for some people. 
Also, people always think “disabled” means “wheelchair” it can involve pretty much any disability. Not all disabilities are visible.

Another point to consider is that accessibility often makes everyone's life easier and safer. Which is better, a cat ladder to the grid or a lift that you can put a motor box and 4 humans in?

I'd also not forget things like training stage door and duty techs in basic sign language, and considering whether a local T loop at stage door is worthwhile. Does the fire alarm have flashing beacons as well as sounders? Do your stairs all have tactile edge strips? Does your signpost signage have braille? Do you have a planned process for inducting a blind person into your space and showing them what is where? Would powered doors open access up to users who would struggle to open a heavy door (wheelchair and crutch users, folk with muscle/joint issues)?

Control positions - could a shorter/taller human or wheelchair user access the controls and see the stage from your control positions (inc SM desks here) - I know most folk shorter than me have to stand on a bit of deck at one of our sound control positions to get a good view of stage. Rather than dumping consoles on deck or flightcases, might a powered adjustable table be more flexible?

One that's just come up for us - video show relay into dressing rooms is rather more useful than audio show relay for a d/Deaf company. They brought some nifty wireless cuelight type devices which they used as their backstage calls devices - could a new install incorporate something like this (even just cuelight circuits to DRs and sufficient circuits on the master controller)?

On 7/3/2022 at 7:27 AM, kerry davies said:

In risk you are always looking at "worst possible" and a person in a wheelchair on the grid when power goes off is about as nightmarish as it gets. 

Yes, with enough money and technology there is a huge amount that can be achieved but it has to fit the needs. 

At that point, surely it's almost cheaper to install a fully automated rig that can be focussed from ground level?

I've read of some venues that have gone that way due to time constraints (tight turnarounds between events) but it would also give wheelchair users full access to the rig.

• 3 weeks later...

When Sadler's Wells was rebuilt in late 90's, they had a group of a dozen or so people with different disabilities to consult over the design period.  There are still areas, such as the grid that are not accessible to wheelchairs, but most technical areas are.

I think it's a requirement these days that buildings are designed to be fully accessible.

On 7/25/2022 at 12:05 AM, Martin said:

I think it's a requirement these days that buildings are designed to be fully accessible.

I think its part of the law, to be open and accessible as possible, I am sure someone can find the words, and I expect it includes "within reason" 

I recall doing a teaching course, Me, some people doing "im a manager and how do I teach people"  and a bunch of paramedics doing training to do first responders  (one of those box tickers as they had been teaching for AGES) 

Part of the course was to "show to you can be accessible"  and they had to explain how to teach someone in a wheelchair. Teacher flat our refused to accept that they couldn't teach a first responder in a wheelchair how to do CPR on a patient on a bed up stairs.  There is a limit of "reason" 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:38 PM, J Pearce said:

Do your stairs all have tactile edge strips?

Be very careful on that one, our local council payed out a lot of money right across town in all sorts of venues and situations, within a week there had been multiple falls on stairs, following several H&S assessments/reports of trip hazard there  followed an even more expensive inspection and in many situations restoration of non grip edges.

Any modification to stairs/gangways needs careful consideration and risk assessment. But, done properly, on most staircases, tactile edging (and wheel bumps at the top of stairs) improves safety for pretty much everyone. Needs the right solution for each staircase - one size fits no-one etc.

46 minutes ago, the kid said:

Part of the course was to "show to you can be accessible"  and they had to explain how to teach someone in a wheelchair. Teacher flat our refused to accept that they couldn't teach a first responder in a wheelchair how to do CPR on a patient on a bed up stairs.  There is a limit of "reason" 

CPR on any surface other than 'the floor' does not give the full qualification for first aid at work cert.