Really basic video playback

ImagineerTom

I'm trying to create the simplest, idiot proof playback device for a short video. Essentially a black box with a big button on it and a video output (either VGA or HDMI) to playback a single video file (approx 1min) when the button is pressed. For various practicality reasons it can't be a laptop  running Qlab, or any other interface for a more complicated media server, it needs to be simple and basic - power it up, when you're ready press this button and boom - the video plays. 

Is there anything out there off the shelf close to this?

Well...

Last time I needed this functionality was... Oh dear. 1988 so this may possibly be just a bit outdated.

We needed a 'hazard warning' for Halloween event, a gate was closed when a group of people were ready for their scary tour.

A 30 second recording right at the end of a standard 3 hour tape , the Sony VCR had the option to stop rewinding at zero so zeroed at the beginning of the recording, it also had the option for a wired remote control.

A magnet gaffa taped to the gate operated a reed switch wired as the play button.

Simple: shut gate, operates reed switch, plays tape, displays on TV.  End of tape auto rewinds, stops at zero, ready to play.

End of the evening 13A plug pulled, next evening plugged in wait 30 seconds shut gate to test.

5 nights, tour every 10 minutes for up to 6 hours, perfect every time.

Oh how simple things were in those days😂

Edited by sunray
  • Upvote 1

unfortunately I'm an arduino person, not a PI person and arduino's one major weakness is video; they just don't have the oomph for it and I don't really have the time for the steep learning curve of PI on this project. I can buy 1001 off the shelf audio playback widgets for $2 - but I can't seem to find anything similar for video anywhere; might be time to dust off the VHS player 😄

• Like 1

Thinking about it I recall seeing a 'Blackmagic' unit with a few buttons and a little screen which was triggered by a pir at the entrance to a company, giving instructions on how to sign in and where to go.

To clarify this was a small unit maybe 200 mm wide by 50mm high with a few buttons and a small display on the front feeding several TV screens, presumably via a DA. Each time anyone entered the building a pir triggered the device to change from their monotonous sales pitch to give instructions.

Hope I haven't confused further.

2nd edit I hope it's ok to post this link. Possibly this:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Black-Magic-Design-Teranex-Mini-Smart-Panel/art-PCM0015666-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=5G_AqJarZwoAAAFl0FZyjI8V&gclid=CjwKCAiAs92MBhAXEiwAXTi2570Wv4nO5H3TCeU1h92XgGx1TO9z_WevDywYtKY58KcE1hXKXbY0sRoCuvAQAvD_BwE

Edited by sunray
Clarification

15 minutes ago, sunray said:

Thinking about it I recall seeing a 'Blackmagic' unit with a few buttons and a little screen which was triggered by a pir at the entrance to a company, giving instructions on how to sign in and where to go.

To clarify this was a small unit maybe 200 mm wide by 50mm high with a few buttons and a small display on the front feeding several TV screens, presumably via a DA. Each time anyone entered the building a pir triggered the device to change from their monotonous sales pitch to give instructions.

Hope I haven't confused further.

2nd edit I hope it's ok to post this link. Possibly this:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Black-Magic-Design-Teranex-Mini-Smart-Panel/art-PCM0015666-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=5G_AqJarZwoAAAFl0FZyjI8V&gclid=CjwKCAiAs92MBhAXEiwAXTi2570Wv4nO5H3TCeU1h92XgGx1TO9z_WevDywYtKY58KcE1hXKXbY0sRoCuvAQAvD_BwE

As I understand it that's /just/ a front panel controller for a larger bit of kit hidden somewhere else?

Bryson
This post was recognized by Bryson!

"The right thing!"

david.elsbury was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

I had a cheap digital photo frame that did almost that about 5 years ago  Load a video as the only image. When turned on it just played the clip. I think it was Bush branded but can't be sure now. I had it running on a mains timer with the psu plugged in. If my memory is right, it ran for a couple of weeks, every hour during store trading.