Really basic video playback

ImagineerTom

3 hours ago, sandall said:

Maybe worth checking whether the off-the-shelf Cyclone 2+ (at a fraction of the price) will do what you want

I had considered that but non of the generic model specs have anything that hint at those features whereas the sprite clearly comes with some extra cables and has lots of data about the control ability. For the sake of £50 price difference in happy if it’s an off the shelf product that just works instead of having to tinker with the generic models

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Robin D said:

I had a cheap digital photo frame that did almost that about 5 years ago  Load a video as the only image. When turned on it just played the clip. I think it was Bush branded but can't be sure now.

Still got one (Kodak-branded) at home, with endless pictures of grandchildren as babies - not sure whether you can get the video out though.

• Like 1

Just for clarity - it's not the looping and autoplay I need; it's the "do nothing until I press a button, then play the video once, then do nothing" bit I need; all those clone chinese units seem to have a wealth of menus and onscreen graphics to get in the way plus require multiple inputs via IR to play anything. On the face of it the Sprite appears to be what I need.

The original Cyclone that the sprite seems to be based on does have a setting to play when power is restored. I have loads of them and suspect that several factories make them, as some seem to work well with remembering settings while others don’t. The newer ones have a far better remote which works with earlier units and they all operate using the same remotes.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, ImagineerTom said:

As I understand it that's /just/ a front panel controller for a larger bit of kit hidden somewhere else?

Apologies, I didn't examine it, just searched for black magic and found the product I think I saw.

8 hours ago, ImagineerTom said:

Just for clarity - it's not the looping and autoplay I need; it's the "do nothing until I press a button, then play the video once, then do nothing" bit I need; all those clone chinese units seem to have a wealth of menus and onscreen graphics to get in the way plus require multiple inputs via IR to play anything. On the face of it the Sprite appears to be what I need.

Indeed constant looping is easy to find loads of devices to do the job. As a start point I have several cheap (under £5) assorted 'SD card readers' which have been used for exactly that purpose.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, sunray said:

Indeed constant looping is easy to find loads of devices to do the job. As a start point I have several cheap (under £5) assorted 'SD card readers' which have been used for exactly that purpose.

That’s fascinating- but it’s clearly not what OP wants, so what is it contributing to their search? ☺️

7 hours ago, mac.calder said:

Brightsign. Designed for signage and media playback. Has GPIO's, so very simple to wire a button in to make it play back.

Brightsign +1 

sure it has tonnes of "options" but thats for another gig. 

Want A video doing A thing at A time? sure

Want A video to play ONCE when SOMEONE does A thing? Sure why not, also wanna make that thing be movement or something else ?

DEAR OLD 7300 DVD PLAYER   if you can live with PAL resolution

has push button interface built in, short 2 wires = go button 1 .

author the disk with holding screen / company logo / blank as top menu background. and one invisible button firing one title, your video clip, .

wires short

title one your clip plays

waits in top screen

wires short . . .

build your own big red, bell wire to unit,  1/2 wide 3u,

• Upvote 2

Just received the sprite - it's REALLY good. The engine under it might well be some generic chinese thing but the instructions and interfaces are all clearly well developed, very clear and the product is definitely going to solve my problem quickly and easily; in my instance all I need is 2 files, one is constantly looped (so in my case will be blank) and the other is played when the button I attach to it via screw terminals is pressed. 

I am very impressed with how well thought out this little unit is

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1