Small Equipment Protection

pete10uk

Morning all

Not really the right place to post but can't find a better place to do so, but as it's about protection for some audio kit, it kind of works.

I'm getting backed up with loose slim 1u pieces of equipment namely a couple of DBX Drive racks and some similar sized DMX Splitters etc.

We tend to keep kit individual for ease of packing and configuring but can't find anything to keep them in. I know I could get some 1 u flight cases made but quite honestly these would be double the price of some of the kit.

What is everyone else keeping them in? Looking for something compact either rack mounting or just a plastic cases so we can take equipment out onsite.

Theres plenty of kit in this form factor so there must be a good solution out there.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks Pete

Ply sleeves? Off the shelf you can get things like this, but I've also seen some nice ones made from ply and coated with tuffcab, with holes and feet routed in so that they can stack securely - more like this. There was briefly a system around that had lightweight stacking sleeves in various RU sizes that then could fit into a lift off lid case, so that racks could be quickly prepped and deprepped - not seen it out and about in the real world though.

Is this just for transport, or for stuff to live in all the time?

If the equipment can travel together, and be slit up at the venue, then there are Peli cases that can hold hold 4 units (or more if they're shallow enough), with some foam packing to go around the edges.

They may hold 3 of the selves Jon has linked to....

Hi Mark

More to live in all the time.

The bits are currently just on a shelf in the storage when not in use and with one or two pieces its fine but on larger jobs I end up with 6 or 7 loose bits of kit all similar sized which just end up in the van wrapped in cloths or tucked into boxes. Needless to say they've ended up on the floor a couple of times.

2u kit is fine and all in abs cases but its the odds and sods of slim 1u kit, which in general don't have a fixed position at a venue and end up dotted all over the place. In the past I've just kept thing like this in the original cardboard boxes but does not look great when in mass to the customer and is time consuming packing and unpacking and obviously not a long term solution as cardboard disintegrates quite quickly.

I have some gator cases which fit a radio mic receiver in perfectly but they don't do a full 1u just a 2/3 rack width.

what about a deep pelivcase that you say, cut 1U slots in, maybe half a dozen, so that you just load and unload the case in warehouse/venue?

or a standard deep rack mount case but using thumb turn quick release screws as place holders?

To be honest a big chunk of foam in the lid would stop rack gear that is sitting facing up from falling forward in transit

what about a deep pelivcase that you say, cut 1U slots in, maybe half a dozen, so that you just load and unload the case in warehouse/venue?

or a standard deep rack mount case but using thumb turn quick release screws as place holders?

To be honest a big chunk of foam in the lid would stop rack gear that is sitting facing up from falling forward in transit

Thanks Dave

I'm trying to keep such gear separate as our van gets pretty full on the floor and individual kit slots in to higher places easily, if we group them, they become heavy and large quite quickly.

But thanks for the suggestion.

I do a lot of work for a company that does networks for events. A lot of our kit is 1 U (most network switches).

All the individual units are in plywood sleeves, which are then painted in tough speaker style paint. We then have flightcases that take six, eight or twelve sleeved switches, slotted into foam inserts.

The cases either hold all the same type of switch or on smaller shows you can prep a mixture into a case.

The plywood cases protect the switches, and are tidy enough if you need to stack three or four together or deploy them individually.

I think they are made by Five Star, but I am sure any case manufacturer could make these for you.

Archived