Small Equipment Protection

pete10uk

Similar question - looking for a suitable (off the shelf) transit enclosure for a 1U, half-width unit (a midi expander - about 220mm wide), and also a power supply unit which is similar sized. Ideally fairly lightweight.

So maybe a 1U full width abs case, or maybe a 2U half-width thing?

Any suggestions?

Similar question - looking for a suitable (off the shelf) transit enclosure for a 1U, half-width unit (a midi expander - about 220mm wide), and also a power supply unit which is similar sized. Ideally fairly lightweight.

Any suggestions?

I'd probably explore the idea of attaching both PSU and device to a rack shelf, and then using one of the 1U sleeves as linked to earlier by Jon (https://bestflightcases.co.uk/1u-rack-sleeve)

For the midi unit I'd look at something like an aluminium camera case , ideally with a lift off lid

I used to do video gigs with two cases, both lift off lids. One had the vision mixer fitted to the small part, the other housed four 7" monitors in the larger part.I could unclip the small front off one, lift the big bit of the other, and fasten them back together to stash odds and sods.

You can normally apply a dremel to convert a hinge to lift off.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. I have a large collection of "silver cases" from B&Q (other stores are available - Maplin used to sell sets of 3, but at exorbitant prices) that cost around £10. The "standard" (approx. 450x330x155) ones hold CD & MD players, etc. The smaller (approx 390x290x155) ones hold small mixers, lighting desks, follow-spot dimmers & various sets of mics. I also bought a collection of plastic brief-cases from Ryman (approx. 380x280x80) for radio-mic kits. The slightly larger Trantec radio-mic cases are also great. Make-up cases are ideal for small items like 7" monitors - I once bought several incredibly cheap mics from CPC just for the aluminium cases they came in.

Not as tough as David's rack-shelf & rack-sleeve solution (you wouldn't want a pile of flight-cases on top of any of them), but only a tiny fraction of the weight & cost. They are also reasonably weather-proof. It's not really worth buying "camera cases", as you end up paying about £20 for the foam insets - all you need is some dense poly foam sheet & a tube of Copydex.

Good tip about using a dremel to make lift-off lids.

This might work @ 25GBP (2U,3U,4U,5U variants available and also a more expensive "Stage Rack" range in 7mm ply):

https://www.thomann....double_door.htm

I'm still looking for some 1U carry rack cases per the OPs original request. I too have a similar requirement for 1U demuxes/media players and the like.

Kevin

To Be honest, if it's just 1U then two bits of 2x1 or 18mm ply spaced apart and topped/bottomed with 9mm ply would do.

You could add a couple of wooden blocks to screw the rack into, or buy and cut up this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Parts-Rack-Strip-Rails/dp/B00APFFPG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546513066&sr=8-2&keywords=19+rack+strip

and add a strap handle if you wanted. you could also fit suitcase/trunk style catches to lock several in a stack, but the catches might be more trouble than they are worth

Archived