Test amp for radio mic heads

Ynot

just an idle thought which might help when repairing mic heads.

Is there such a thing as a small self-contained amp/speaker with a mic level 3.5mm jack input that one might use after repairing mics? Just thinking that rather than the usual test of plugging into a transmitter pack & sending it through the desk, it could be an easier way.

I daresay an amp with a 1/4" jack input and an adaptor cable would suffice, but keeping it neater with the 3.5mm would be best.

Anyone seen such a thing?

Ms101?https://www.studiospares.com/search.aspx?eaSearch=Yamaha%20powered%20speaker

I have several

Was going to say that will do nicely, but then saw the £115 price tag!

A guitar practice amp is likely too big as well - thinking of a workbench item, so nothing that's going to take up too much space...

I did exactly this with a single 741 op amp and a very few resistors and caps, built it into a dead transistor radio from the 60's.

LS, volume control, battery clip and hole for a 3.5mm stereo socket,  were all there waiting.

I've wanted one of these for a while, but the bias voltage has always been the thing to trip me up. I use Trantec so 4 pin mini xlr. The bias voltage is therefore delivered on a separate pin to the audio, so to properly replicate the pinout I can't use one of the circuits Josh links to (I'd looked at them myself) as it delivers the bias on the mic pins. I think it'd still energise the capsule but it doesn't reflect the pinout so if I've got a dodgy bias link inside the plug it won't show it up.

I've wanted one of these for a while, but the bias voltage has always been the thing to trip me up. I use Trantec so 4 pin mini xlr. The bias voltage is therefore delivered on a separate pin to the audio, so to properly replicate the pinout I can't use one of the circuits Josh links to (I'd looked at them myself) as it delivers the bias on the mic pins. I think it'd still energise the capsule but it doesn't reflect the pinout so if I've got a dodgy bias link inside the plug it won't show it up.
No problem, fit a cap between the audio pin of the socket and the audio input to lose the bias then add bias (a single resistor may be sufficient) to the bias pin.

I've wanted one of these for a while, but the bias voltage has always been the thing to trip me up. I use Trantec so 4 pin mini xlr. The bias voltage is therefore delivered on a separate pin to the audio,....

My Trantec kits all have 4-pin Lemo connectors, but as all my mics use single-core cable (or in the case of the MKE-2s are connected as if they were single-core) I only need to use the Audio+Bias pin.

I have a small battery operated amplifier for trouble shooting mics in the wild. It is slightly larger than a Trantec S5 belt-pack.

I haven't worked out how to put a PDF onto the forum, so if you would like the circuit, PM me.

Brian

Archived