Proposed EU Regulations That Would Ban All Theatrical Fixtures - Not J

timsabre

Yes, I saw it yesterday. I wonder if it's time to start stockpiling all those T series lamps while making a gradual transition to LED.

OTOH, will we implement such a ban after 2019?

Even if we don't, would manufacturers consider it viable to continue making lamps just for the UK theatre market? Would EU manufacturers like Philips even be allowed to make them in the EU for export?

I doubt that manufacture within the EU, for export would be permitted.

I also doubt that manufacture for JUST the UK market would be justified, However manufacture outside the EU might continue, if worldwide demand justified production in say China. I can still buy 196 volt, 100 watt ES lamps, for which demand must be very limited indeed.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whenever a space needs heating, the heat from tungsten lamps need not be considered wasted

Don't most theatres require cooling once they're full of people and have lights running?

In many offices the reduction in cooling requirement from more efficient lighting is an important bonus (even in the British climate)

Whenever a space needs heating, the heat from tungsten lamps need not be considered wasted

Don't most theatres require cooling once they're full of people and have lights running?

In many offices the reduction in cooling requirement from more efficient lighting is an important bonus (even in the British climate)

Both lots of both. *

Winter old spaces are cold as sin, Lights super help.

Summer spaces are hotter than a hot thing, lights are not helping anyone or anything.

*in the places I have worked and been in at least. Summer cooling in older spaces is/can be good, but the fact is they were not designed for the heat involved.

• 3 weeks later...

To add to the points already made, as from THIS September, the manufacture or import of certain types of non directional halogen lamps will be prohibited.

If I understand correctly, this will mainly be the double envelope halogens that contain a small halogen capsule within an outer bulb, usually fitted with B22 or E27 caps and intended to replace GLS. Mainly used d0m3sticaly but possibly also in venues.

Not certain if other halogen lamps are included such as the various small bi-pin ELV halogens, both d0m3stic types and entertainment industry types like the A1-220.

Does anyone have more details as to exactly what lamps are included in this earlier ban that starts later THIS YEAR.

A quick google revealed numerous news articles and reports referring to a ban on halogen lamps from "September 2018" but I found no actual list of affected types. Several reports were illustrated with pictures of the double envelope mains voltage halogens to which I referred earlier.

A possibly random library picture of a lamp is rather slim evidence though as to which types will be affected.

adam2,is this what you were looking for?

As to the general resistance to change it never fails to tickle my funny bone that an industry so focused on the new, exciting and creative can be so small "c" conservative. For many years the outdoor events/festival scene has been tinkering with pedal powered PA and eco-friendly raves but now I am retired the swine have made things so much easier. OK, the LED white isn't white enough YET for theatre but when the generators may now come on pickup trucks rather than artics, bring it on.

Don't know they're born these youngsters, harrumph. The change will come no matter what minuscule protest group theatre can assemble. It will come whether we remain in or we leave the EU. The irony of "taking back control" is that now and evermore the UK will have far less control over it's own destiny if it wants to either import or export standards compliant goods.

Phoebus Cartel lives....

Line stood out in link was "over the LED's lifetime of up to 20 years"

Early LED units and quite possibly lot of current ones have comnponents in driver that won`t be celebrating their 5th birthday never mind their 20th...

I remember MR16 replacing PAR38, 1/3rd power, double the life, early MR16s went nowhere near 2000Hrs.

CFL , lifespan of 10Khrs+ , er, nowhere near , early examples typically in the 00`s of hrs with driver failure.Energy intensive units to manufacture ,very unlikely they saved more energy that was used to make and then dispose of them, never mind the mix of nasties they leave behind, not just glass and tungsten.

Hot wire may use energy but it is simple to manufacture and adding value and differentiating in the market has become harder.

Measuring colour rendering has become the next scam, TLCI may be a good measure for matching machine sensors but understanding of colour perception by the Mark 1 eyeball is still an ongoing discovery.

As to the general resistance to change it never fails to tickle my funny bone that an industry so focused on the new, exciting and creative can be so small "c" conservative.

I don't think that's the reason though... The problem is that this ban is premature because there isn't yet a replacement for the lamps being banned. Requiring theatres to replace their entire lantern stock with more expensive led fixtures is not viable.

In my view, requiring that most theatres replace most of their lantern stock by 2025 IS reasonable. 2025 being my estimate as to when replacement lamps might become hard to find. LED theatre lighting is greatly improved, and will no doubt get better still over the next few years. Remember that restrictions on the manufacture or import of halogen lamps apply to d0m3stic use and to other trades and industries, thereby driving research into better and cheaper LED lighting equipment.

In a well used venue the electricity saving will be significant.

In a typical church hall or village hall with a little used and largely fixed rig of a dozen ancient strand lanterns, half a dozen spare lamps per lantern should last decades.

Small touring or mobile rigs would be better changed to LED due to the limited power availability in many venues, and the saving on lamp breakages in transit.

Incandescent lighting is going the way of gas lighting, oil lamps and carbon arcs, all of which are still used in a few niche applications but not for general everyday lighting.

"This decision does not affect

• directional halogen lamps, such as popular spotlights"

So PAR64 lamps SHOULD be safe; possibly also T25, T11, T29, etc, as in sound terms these would be regarded as "figure-of-eight", not "omni". Just a thought....

Archived