BlueClone - The Blue Room's Own Comms System

Brian

Does anyone have a spare beltpack PCB or 2?

I want to make a custom AD903-equivalent - to interface Tecpro comms to normal noise in both directions and don't have a spare beltpack to dedicate to an XLR4 - 2x XLR3 cable.

Thanks!

PM sent.

• 2 months later...

With increasing the gain, you mean, adjust the DIP switches?

My current headsets are Clear-com ones, with dynamic mics...

Yes, adjusting the DIP switches changes the mic gain.

Your Clearcom headsets should work OK with the Telex boxes as well as with Bluecom. Just remember that Bluecom is the only system I know of which uses a bridge configuration for the headphone amp so is potentially much louder than the rest! It also has the capability of altering the minimum headphone level (change the value of R27, currently 10R) which no other system has.

Just reporting back

When the telex ic-1 box is plugged in the bluecom PSU, a hard ground noise is audible

When the telex ic-1 box is plugged in a Bluecom box, the call light is permanently on in the Bluecom (telex IC-1 doesn't have call button)

You can listen the telex box in the Bluecom, with the loud ground noise, but you can't listen the bluecom in the telex box, I guess for the call sign open.

So sad...

Just reporting back

When the telex ic-1 box is plugged in the bluecom PSU, a hard ground noise is audible

When the telex ic-1 box is plugged in a Bluecom box, the call light is permanently on in the Bluecom (telex IC-1 doesn't have call button)

You can listen the telex box in the Bluecom, with the loud ground noise, but you can't listen the bluecom in the telex box, I guess for the call sign open.

So sad...

I suspect that the Telex box has pin 1 of the 3-pin XLRs connected to the chassis. None of Bluecom, Tecpro or Granite Audio systems have this so they are all interchangeable.

The Telex box must have a DC level on the bus which activates the call light in Bluecom. Again, neither Tecpro or Granite Audio systems have this. It looks as though Telex is the odd one out.

Telex/RTS and Tecpro/Granite are not compatible.

The RTS 3-pin XLR carries two audio circuits Pin 1 is ground/common, pin 2 carries audio 1 and 30V DC, pin 3 carries audio 2. Call signaling is via an HF tone injected onto the audio.

The quick start guide for the Clearcom analogue single-channel beltpack (RS-701) is here:

http://www.clearcom.com/userfiles/file/User%20Manuals/Partyline/RS-701_QuickStartGuide-399G034.pdf

The XLR pinout is compatible and the beltpack will accept 24VDC on the power line but I don't know about the signal levels. Also, as the user guide says that the range of voltages for the power supply is 15VDC-30VDC, it's possible that the master station only supplies 15VDC and things may not work as expected.

Bluecom was designed to be compatible with (and was fully tested with) both Tecpro and Granite Audio systems. It hasn't been tested with any other systems so you are exploring unknown territory.

Fantastic! thank you!

The problem is the the Telex IC- 1 is a balanced line system similar to phantom mics. I've attached a diagram which shows how to connect the two types of system together. Terminations and power need to be explored . The transformer will probably 600 :600 impedance.tx_con_47.gif

Do this device, the same work?

http://www.radialeng.com/icecube-specs.php

Edited by jmvbmw

http://www.radialeng.com/icecube-specs.php

No, the schematic shows that it doesn't have a centre tapped transformer nor an isolating capacitor. However, if you don't need to supply power to the Telex system from the Bluecom system it would be easy enough to just add the capacitor yourself.

http://www.radialeng...ecube-specs.php

No, the schematic shows that it doesn't have a centre tapped transformer nor an isolating capacitor. However, if you don't need to supply power to the Telex system from the Bluecom system it would be easy enough to just add the capacitor yourself.

Only if I have a telex power supply, right?

You mean the telex system with its power supply and the bluecom with its power supply? isolated with a capacitor?

Only if I have a telex power supply, right?

You mean the telex system with its power supply and the bluecom with its power supply? isolated with a capacitor?

Correct. Be careful with the connections to the transformer on the Bluecom side as they will have to be modified from the original box you linked to.

Edited by boatman

• 1 month later...

The 3-pin XLR is pin compatible but that ClearCom data sheet specifies -20dB for the audio line signal which might be a bit quiet for BlueCom. No harm will come to either system by plugging them together to experiment.

One caveat is that the ClearCom PTT may not work with Granite Audio (Stonewood) systems as they pulse the signalling voltage rather than having a constant level.