BlueClone - The Blue Room's Own Comms System

Brian

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone

I'm from Chile

I'm not technician, only a self taught (with very basic knowledge) electronic enthusiast

I'm join to the forum, searching for a reliable intercom solution.

First, I found the Rcrowdler Clonecom, and reading this forum, I realized that his design do not work...

With the Boatman's priceless help, who with endless patience, cleared all me doubts, I did build successfully 5 beltpacks and 1 PSU!!

I only have 1 minor issue..

When I press the call button, I listen a weird noise in the headphones

http://youtu.be/WqHZA8tJeEc

Boatman says that the C17 isn't blocking the DC signal..

Indeed, in the IC2 pin 6, in empty, shows -9VDC, when the call button is pressed, up to -13VDC

My C17's are 1uF 50V multilayer capacitors... they have a 105 number

11401245_10153360114362402_8713571621050867048_n.jpg?oh=f85d9a73c50ee4db7f8460f005696a59&oe=55EE4B5D&__gda__=1441803129_dc592a2eed8103a8bfec35f86e61d044

I had change some components:

NE5534, I actually use NE5534P

TCA0372, I use TCA0372DP1

TL072, I use TL072IPE4

C13, 1nF 100V, I use 500V

C19-C20, 47pF 200V, I use 500V

R2 don't found 300R, use 330R

R26 don't found 20K, use 22K

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I order the PCB's the iTead

I order some components to RS, another to ebay, and others to a local electronic dealer

I use this cheap headset's

http://www.aliexpres...=66741155147814

I cut and eliminated the PTT switch, and put an XLR4 plug

I use this boxes, whit a minor cuts and adjust, the PCB fits into..

http://www.aliexpres...=66730352097814

Yesterday, I use the 5 beltpacks in a 4 cameras and 1 director CCTV environment, with a flawless performance.

I wanna say thanks!! to the designers, the testers, especially to the Boatman

Cheers!!

Edited by jmvbmw

Hi

I had a look and listen at your video. You will always get a single 'thump' on the audio when the call button is operated/released. Multiple thumps as shown on your video is wrong. Do you have the audio line termination components fitted at the power supply end? Is your power supply adequate? If your power supply is marginal, it may be going into current limit and the output voltage dropping when the call button is operated. This is much more likely if you are using a switch mode power supply (which the background whine suggests you are). Try a different power supply.

Regards

Peter

Hi

I had a look and listen at your video. You will always get a single 'thump' on the audio when the call button is operated/released. Multiple thumps as shown on your video is wrong. Do you have the audio line termination components fitted at the power supply end? Is your power supply adequate? If your power supply is marginal, it may be going into current limit and the output voltage dropping when the call button is operated. This is much more likely if you are using a switch mode power supply (which the background whine suggests you are). Try a different power supply.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Thank you for take a look

I'm not sure what you mean with "Do you have the audio line termination components fitted at the power supply end?"...

My power supply is a 24V 2.5A one, laptop computer style... I have no VDC drops with the call button pressed, and the power source was able to run 5 beltpacks during 5 hours he last weekend.

I'll try to get a 5A one

Hi

Look at the power supply schematic in the first post of topic 'http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=59644'.

Components R2/R4/C5 (or R3/R5/C7) are required to be fitted at one location (usually the power supply for convenience) to ensure stable operation of the audio part of the system. Your power supply appears to be sufficiently rated - it may not have a big enough output capacitor to cope nicely with the sudden change in load imposed by the signalling system. If not already done, try adding 2200uF/50V (C3 or C4 in the above referenced schematic) electrolytic capacitor to the system to reduce the multiple audio thumps. It may also be useful to add 0.1uF/100nF ceramic or plastic film capacitor at this location too to try and reduce the background whine probably caused by the switch mode power supply unit in use.

Regards

Peter

I'm out of further ideas at the moment. You have done all that I would have done. The only other things I would try is experimenting with only some of the beltpacks to find if there is a particular unit that causes the problems. Also try different connecting cables.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you all know that Jose in Chile (jmvbmw) now has a working system! Bluecom Rules The World!

The oscillations turned out to be due to a solder bridge on one beltpack and the level problems were a lack of a termination on the line. He had built a power unit with only half the components using the XLRs at the rear of the unit and omitting the push switch. That meant the termination was not connected to the line and a link was required between pins 4 & 5 of the push button footprint. Once we got that sorted out and the method of sidetone adjustment, it all came good.

Yes, pmiller had de key to my problem, but I did understand him...

Thank you all people!

And special thanks to Boatman, you are a incredibly nice man!!

And also, you design is amazing, just like an pro intercom.

If one of you go to Chile some time, count with me for whatever you need!

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

After building a bunch of stuff and finishing my own BlueComm system (1 PSU, 7 beltpacks) I realized I still have spare parts.

I have enough parts to build 1 PSU and 5 beltpacks. This includes the housing, front and back panels (also in aluminium), the PCBs and all the electronics.

The PSU is version 1.1 and the beltpacks are version 1.2

Let me know if you're interesed via PM.

I just noticed that I have never posted pictures of my complete product. Well, here you can get a sneak preview anyway.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=57825&st=195&p=505452&&do=findComment&comment=505452

Kind regards,

Jeroen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've been watching this thread with great interest. I have limited experience in with the design of circuits but have a lot building them, hence not actually getting involved until now.

One thing we all know if that wireless comes are very VERY expensive but would be extremely handy for the likes of SM's and the crew etc.

One thing I have recently attempted is to link a cheap Bluetooth Motorcycle headset to the Tecpro AD903 2 to 4 wire unit. It apparently connects all sorts of I/O impedance's and devices to the ring with lots of adjustment.

The BT headsets themselves work over quite a distance (1200m claimed outdoors) 400m actually tested with caravans in the way in a caravan park. They are extremely clear and allow duplexing. They have a 4pin 3.5mm jack on them, using the screen as a common for both the left/Right channels and the Mic. I seem to have found that when plugging this into the AD903 it does not like it at all and I have had a whole host of issues, ie, cross talk between the headphones and microphone, a very quiet level from both the microphone/headphones and the return from the ring.

In theory this should be straight forward as I am using a 4 pin XLR to 4pin jack and connecting as per the AD903 "unbalanced connector instructions". I think the problem I am having is the combined screen. I then noticed that some people are using a mini jack on the bluecom system and wondered if a bluecom beltpack would give me the answers. First off, do the blue com work with tecpro, or would I need to replace our system? Secondly, what is it that allows the use of a low impedance headset and 4 pin jack inside of the bluecom? Thirdly, does anyone have any PCB's for the beltpack for sale? I may need to build one if it is compatible with tecpro system in some way.

Has anyone else tried something of this nature, or have any idea what my next port of call could be?

If I can get this working I will be sharing it on here just as a little blog or post of some kind.

Thanks in advance.