Reccomed me some rigging gloves

Techie-v2

Hi all,

As the title says, can someone point me in the direction of some relatively inexpensive rigging gloves. Just something to make it more comfortable then handling lighting fixtures, staging, truss, moving equipment around etc.

I don't know what's a good brand from a bad one.

Thanks!

We carried half a dozen £2.50 pairs of rigging gloves for volunteers and I still have a pair that cost about £1.50 sometime in the last millennium. Unless you are rigging constantly then it probably isn't worth getting an expensive pair of Dirty Rigger but they are excellent.

I would suggest you find your nearest Screwfix depot and try out a few pair to find what suits you and which size. There are gloves out there costing £2 which are identical to gloves costing £123-£15 with a fancy name on them. 

Edited by kerry davies
e2a

I've used all sorts. Some like sunray linked to, some that came from Klaas Olsen (Tejera brand, I think), "rigger's gloves" from a garden centre, and Dirty Riggers. They're all good for different things; the Dirty Riggers are much heavier than the other ones and lack a certain touch, but they're better padded and stronger and fit well,  so offer better protection, I guess. The garden centre gloves are fine for lugging steel deck about but feel less secure when doing up clamps. The nitrile dipped gloves offer better feel when adjusting things like focus and spot/flood.

It might have been too tight a size, but I found the nitrile dipped ones pushing down on my wedding ring and causing some discomfort.
I have been wearing Screwfix's Site thermal gloves all day, today. Great for coiling cables etc., not tactile enough to pick at the PVC tape to wrap around the cables.
Having said that, cold cables covered in frost and bits of grass were a pain to tie off in PVC anyway!

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/work-gloves/cat850338?brand=site

On 12/2/2023 at 6:57 AM, ImagineerTom said:

Literally decades of experience shows that £2 nitrate covered gloves are the solution.  Sure there are more expensive gloves with short term improvements but every year (without fail) the basic gloves correctly fitted are better, more durable than all other types overall. 

... unless you need access to your finger tips. 

Also for big rigging you may find that hide rigger gloves protect your wrists better.

Depending on the work but specifically for carrying, consider this another voice for own brand vitrile.

However, for more general work, my preference is for framer's gloves. Protection for most of the hand and thumb and forefingers left exposed for those jobs that benefit from bare skin

Dirty Rigger do a decent set (De Walt do NOT!) but you can also pick them up at any sailing shop (Gill or Windward brands) 

I like to have finger tips exposed, and the best gloves of these sort I've found you get at a yachting chandelary, and, as a bonus, the palm of the glove is usually reinforced and thus ideal for tugging on ropes, or perhaps sheets in sailor's parlance.

• 4 weeks later...

It might pay to look at weight lifting gloves too. I have a pair from years ago and I often opt for them when I've lots of lifting and carrying to do - the increased padding on the palms really helps. Mine are a very open knit on the back of the hands, so great for airflow, and the fingers are open. I can't see the exact ones I've got for sale any more, but similar ones are definitely out there. Just depends on the kind of rigging and work you're doing.