First Aid Kit Contents

sunray

Tell you what. If you ever find yourself working on the same event as me, and need some medication, come and find me. You can have whatever you want, no questions asked. Pain killers, rehydration, wound cleanse, diarrhoea tablets, I've got the lot.

Am I worried about being sued? Clearly not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Tell you what. If you ever find yourself working on the same event as me, and need some medication, come and find me. You can have whatever you want, no questions asked. Pain killers, rehydration, wound cleanse, diarrhoea tablets, I've got the lot.

Am I worried about being sued? Clearly not. 

Thank you for the offer, If you were to offer me diarrhoea tablets would it occur to you to ask if I were on blood thinning medication or antibiotics?

3 hours ago, emsgeorge said:

Stop scaremongering. If someone is that allergic to a substance, they will know about it, be aware of it, and have counter measures in place.

Do you know how rare it is for an ambulance to go to an actual anaphalaxis ?. Most of the time we turn up because someone is 'allergic' to an item, has an epipen, and panics like hell, resulting in someone giving the pen ........ causing them to have to go in to be observed for at least 4 hours.

I've called for 2 and mongering wasn't required on either occasion for the scare level, we certainly didn't need Imodium for the second.

As a result of one the patient was found to be allergic to celery/garlic and was in a bad way in IC for a number of days, hence my earlier comment. This was totally unknown to him before.

The second was as a result of eating something with a glaze containing egg and not a single person working with him knew anything about his egg allergy, he went from laughing at a joke to a pile on the floor with a heartbeat too fast to count, puffing like a steam engine and  sweat pouring from him in the time it took to fall off the stool, he still had the cutlery in his hands. We carried him to Guys hospital while speaking with 999 service. We got some funny and nasty comments running through the streets of London carrying a cold wet limp body. As it happens he had an epipen but no one knew about it. A few days later he was back at work and the whole company were given a premature FAAW course including specific iinstructions on what to do with anaphylactic shock, it felt a bit like stable door and horse.

I've also been at a theme park and witnessed a number of people taken away in meat trucks due to bee stings. How many people know they have that allergy?

So in my experience it's actually not that rare. From what you say it seems I've been unlucky to encounter more than my share.

Most of this reply was written much earlier, about 5pm today I cut my hand and attended hospital for stitches. While there I asked one of the nurses attending to me how many anaplalaxis cases a day arrive in A&E, "A couple a day, in this weather usually more. There's one just come in."

18 hours ago, sunray said:

Thank you for the offer, If you were to offer me diarrhoea tablets would it occur to you to ask if I were on blood thinning medication or antibiotics?

Of course not, if you choose to take them then that's your lookout.

We're not talking prescription drugs here, we're not even talking over-the-counter, we are talking about things that can be bought in any supermarket, corner shop, or petrol station. Yes they come with a PIL but how many people read those? You can be very sure that, in deciding to make them widely available, the risk of people not reading the information has been considered and found to be so low as to not be an issue.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:35 PM, sunray said:

I've called for 2 and mongering wasn't required on either occasion for the scare level, we certainly didn't need Imodium for the second.

As a result of one the patient was found to be allergic to celery/garlic and was in a bad way in IC for a number of days, hence my earlier comment. This was totally unknown to him before.

8 hours ago, alistermorton said:

So not allergic to "salt" rather they were allergic to known allergens. Which was the point.

The point of that particular comment was a response to EMSGeorge comment about unessecary 999 calls due to panicing. Not to what the allergy is.

Earlier you appeared to be trying to justify not offering hydration salts because someone turned out to be allergic to celery or garlic. The two are unrelated, is the point I was making.

They were not allergic to salt, but to celery or garlic, which, as Brian pointed out, are known to be allergens and celery is one that must be listed on ingredients as one of the allergens possibly in the food.

4 hours ago, musht said:

What about Burnshield burn blots?

https://www.sja.org.uk/first-aid-supplies/first-aid-supplies-and-consumables/first-aid-dressings-and-pads/dressings/Pack-of-10-3.5ml-Burnshield-Blott-Sachets/

Last time first aid was mentioned, was a dislike for these, but not sure why?

Found them effective on soldering iron burns.

what is it ? 

What we have at home after I got given for post surgery is a plastic semi sticky mesh, its pretty expensive I think £10 for 4  smaller than palm size patches , but its designed to keep wet wounds away from bandages, like burns, but its great for road rash (small child got a nice big one a few weeks back and it was great)