Live round in Prop Gun

Junior8

16 minutes ago, kerry davies said:

It isn't that simple, try HERE.

I think that if I were the AD concerned and knew this was only the armourers second job as senior I would be double and triple checking everything with her to build her confidence. Instead of which she didn't know they were about to rehearse with weapons she had checked much earlier. It can't be stressed too highly, pedantry pays where safety is involved. 

But shouldn't it BE that simple??

Clearly, as one would expect in the litigious world of the 'Merkins, the wagons continue to be circling with noone actually accepting th responsibility for the incident. But with any use of props that can be (and ARE) lethal, it behoves EVERY person in the chain of handling such to make 100% sure that what they pass on is as safe as it can possibly be... And that one person named as 'armourer' has - and SHOULD have - the overall responsibility for the weapons as a whole, regardless of whether she felt she wasn't given enough time, then she should accept that responsibility wholesale.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we should not be making judgements nowadays on first impressions or pictures we see on the net, but if we work with people who have safety as their job function, they usually look like their job role. Here, if you go on a course involving safety of any kind - rigging, pyro, working at height, anything powered and lifting etc etc, the instructors look ‘right’. They also sound ‘right’. Anyone probably 30+ reads people well. We do it on every production when we meet the, for the first time. We have three categories we put people in. Ok, jury is out and idiot. People often move category as work progresses. Fight directors are good examples. Your initial rating often changes once they start and mostly goes into the top box. My spidey senses tingle when they don’t hit that box straight away, and I’ll often spend more time in that location till it does, the. I go away happy. Looking at some of the pictures of this ‘armourer’ something isnt quite right, especially the one posing with two guns. That’s very uncommon isnt it? If the production company were shoddy, it’s not impossible they just gave an assistant the top job because she worked cheap and did what they told her. We’ve all seen that’s when you have to work with some people. Larking about is normal, but rarely with the safety centred people, who often have no sense of humour at all. Have you ever seen a police officer with a weapon who did not look comfortable with it and had the don’t mess with me attitude? I’ve never seen one of them pose with a weapon. 

If I was doing that, I would "field strip" the guns when not being used. It only takes a few seconds for a competent person to re-assemble them when needed. You would then be totally sure there was nothing "accidently" left in the barrel or magazine.

Additionally, blank and live rounds look totally different to live ones.

225_2753__1606507626.jpg

Capped Blanks ( the plastic plug splits on firing, but stays within the case)SA35-2.jpg?v-cache=1545061195

Crimped blank. Crimp opens up on firing.

I14Mkv.png

Live round. Has a bullet in the case.

They are sufficiently different that you can (with a little practice) tell the difference by touch alone. Any competent armourer should thoroughly inspect the gun before handing it over. Even if the gun was used 5 minutes ago and was OK then.

This also highlights a fundamental issue with using "live" guns as oposed to ones that have been professionally modified (or built) to load and fire blank rounds only.

Edited by ANDYLASER

• 1 year later...