Huge increase in wholesale gas prices.

adam2

Natural gas prices have been at over 100 pence a therm for about a year now. Often well over 100 pence pence a therm. about 350 pence a therm today.

And a few days ago, wholesale electricity prices reached an astonishing almost £10,000 a megawatt hour. This is about £10 a unit paid to keep the lights on. 

Can't put my finger on quote, but Texas is into power rationing, no EV charging in peak hours etc.

E2A one take on story https://nypost.com/2022/07/13/texas-bitcoin-miners-halt-operations-to-save-energy-amid-heat-wave/

Bit that stood out in story was Texas Industrial Bitcoin Mining Association or some such, were generously throttling back mining, allowing 1000megawatts back to grid, about 1%of total consumption, this was framed as a goodwill gesture.....

Edited by musht

• 1 month later...

As autumn approaches, we of course get the start of too-good-to-be-true electric heater advertisements season. I just got a YouTube ad for this one https://buy-ultraheat.com/reviews/ultraheatpro/uk/int1j2v4b/ which as far as I can see is a thermostatic fan heater (2kW?) for the bargain price of £55! (I have reported to Youtube for misleading advertising, but don't expect much).

Paging Big Clive to tear an actual one apart?

1 hour ago, adam2 said:

This would be good time to remind ourselves that ALL electric heaters are virtually 100% efficient.

I've sometimes wondered whether plugging in a couple of PAR 64s and directing them in appropriate ways might be more efficient than a 2-bar electric heater...
:)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ynot said:

I've sometimes wondered whether plugging in a couple of PAR 64s and directing them in appropriate ways might be more efficient than a 2-bar electric heater...
🙂

The efficiency will be the same, but the PAR lamps MIGHT be more effective at directing more of the heat to exactly the desired place.

20 hours ago, Ynot said:

🙂

Take it from me, PAR64’s are an efficient  way to ruin a very nice pair of sneakers :’( 

B606A447-BBEE-4FC0-BBF7-7005F5D7BCDC.jpeg

Edited by david.elsbury

Govt announce more propping up of energy companies profits.

Under the scheme, revealed by the Department for Business, Energy and Industry, wholesale prices are expected to be fixed for all non-domestic energy customers at £211 per MWh for electricity and £75 per MWh for gas for six months.

BBC link

• 2 weeks later...

Sixth richest country in the world prepares for large numbers to starve and/or die of hypothermia.

Edited by kerry davies

The position is undeniably serious. HMG have moved away from saying "it will all be fine" and towards admitting that perhaps things could go orribly wrong.

I consider that planned or rota power cuts are a distinct possibility. Mainland Europe may be in an even worse position than the UK, so it seems unlikely that electricity will be available.

Make certain that you know your load group, write this on the wall near the electricity meter both at home and at  work. Your load group is a single capital letter and is usually found on the bill.

There are 18 load groups each identified by a letter, starting with A. The letters O and I are not used lest they be confused with the numerals 1, and 0.  Your load group will usually be the same as your neighbours, but of course someone has be on the boundary. The load group letter is not related to social status or house price ! and yes I have met people who think otherwise. The load group can not be changed by the customer. There is no advantage in one load group over another.

In the event of a power shortage, load groups will be cut off for about three hours at a time. Depending on the severity of the situation, any consumer might have a couple of three hour cuts a week, up to several a day.

It must be stressed FIRMLY AND OFTEN REPEATED that EVERY customer in the relevant load group will be cut off, WITHOUT EXCEPTION. A lot of people seem to expect exceptions, there will be no exceptions for deserving individuals or for buildings considered important. Palaces, prisons, hospitals, police stations, the rich and the poor will all be cut off.

The only exceptions are for limited numbers of facilities that are judged to be of national importance AND  that have a dedicated high voltage grid connection.  There can no exceptions for premises served at low voltage nor at up to 66 kv.

At work make certain that emergency lighting is in good working order.

At home, ensure that you have several torches and lanterns with fresh batteries, consider a couple of self contained emergency lights.

13 hours ago, adam2 said:

Palaces, prisons, hospitals, police stations, the rich and the poor will all be cut off.

The only exceptions are for limited numbers of facilities that are judged to be of national importance

Seriously? They'll cut off hospitals 😮 I know they should have backup power but surely only for dire emergency?

Presume they are not of national importance. Apart of course for any where someone important is having treatment I bet!

Edited by sleah

2 minutes ago, sleah said:

Seriously? They'll cut off hospitals 😮 

Presumably/hopefully they, government, broadcasters, etc, etc. will/should/did (before someone decided to save some money, as with gas storage) have diesel back-up generators. They might even have full tanks, but maybe that's too much of an ask.