Coronavirus

kerry davies

Nothing remotely theatre based, but I ordered something from what I thought was a UK supplier (rookie mistake) for the garden, which actually came from China...

Ordered May 20th - still not arrived.

Last update after chasing - "it's in another country, delayed due to Covid..."

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my Chinese suppliers tells me their theatres have reopened this week where she lives. She also tells me that foreign sales, to people like me have just collapsed and their big sales of ship freight have ceased. The sea journey takes too long for people to risk waiting.

In the retail trade they were already realising just how far China was away before all this happened, and that was quite separate from the quality issues. The grey market knock-offs via ebay were getting direct to the punter quicker than their stock to the wholesalers.

The grey market knock-offs via ebay were getting direct to the punter quicker than their stock to the wholesalers.

I've had some small packet deliveries (of components and heat shrink etc.) arrive about as quickly as they did pre-covid. Bought via AliExpress rather than eBay, but still...

Has anyone seen any results from the ALW Palladium trials?

Last I heard it was some time in July, but seen or heard no more yet. And we're half way to August...

Well - his trials started today with the Beverley Knight concert.

Here's the Stage's report on it

I'm intrigued by the statement that they're using a fogging system which allegedly is effective against Corona for up to 4 weeks, though the palladium is doing it fortnightly...

We've had discussions on the idea of a foggable solution, but as I recall the results from elsewhere have been dubious.

The article also mentions temperature scanning on arrival (something we'd considered but discounted as not being accurate enough for reliability) and anti-viral door handles... (not sure what they are).

But in the interview with Knight on the news tonight she said it was very weird looking out at all the 'X' marks on the vacant seats and an unusual atmosphere from the auditorium in general.

The palladium test is the first of 4 planned, each with different setups front & back. The idea is to try reducing spacing / cleaning gradually and produce cold hard data about not just what works virilogically but also audience comfort, technical practicality, financially.

For example we now know exactly what the demand for a socially distanced concert is, we have data on what sales levels are for 100% contactless sales, we know what presales levels are. Also the old trick of invisible uv dies was used so that there’s also data produced on touch / recontamination points in the building.

Similar stepped stages are planned for the Manchester comedy club & the various Butlins venues which are wizzing through a variety of formats and operational models to see what’s practical but also where public acceptance sits. Remember right now 80% of theatre patrons say they wouldn’t want to go to a show at the moment because of safety so the process is as much about finding ways to communicate the safety and win audiences back as it is about actually making real changes.

Well, we’ve just had our November Ring Cycle postponed along with a production of Aïda which would have been on in rep with it. Pushed out to the same time next year - just too many uncertainties. The November/December ballet season is off too although hopefully we’ll be able to do something in December - they had a gala performance scheduled as their artistic director is leaving and I think everyone will want to farewell him properly. I see that Teatro San Carlo in Naples has just done an outdoor concert performance of Aïda which is interesting.

I'm guessing that there will be HUGE numbers fighting over holidays in August to make up for those missed during this crisis...
What makes you think we won't still be in lockdown in August?

And here we are. Happy Holidays, everyone!
Hmmmm... ©

That may have been a little naive of me, perchance. :)

Have to admit that in early March I was one of those who didn't believe all the hype in Asia was as bad as it was, but that opinion changed VERY quickly...

:(

It's highly likely a lot of pantos will not be happening this year almost entirely because in 3 hours today government went from confirming venues could open to insisting venues should close which has spooked some major producers
Yup - QDOS have said if they don't get a definite plan by Aug 3rd they're pulling all of theirs.

Imagine in Cov have already taken many of theirs off the books - not sure if the rest will survive.

Phantom to close on the West End "permanently". Link

It seems that Cam Mack and ALW have two differing opinions on this! I’m not surprised that they’re planning work on the theatre and a completely new set - the set was old, tired and noisy when I saw the show in 2006 so I dread to think how much worse it must have got in the 14 years since then!

Have to admit that in early March I was one of those who didn't believe all the hype in Asia was as bad as it was, but that opinion changed VERY quickly...

My initial view was that this would be a similar trajectory to SARS, Bird Flu, etc. Italy was the big eye-opener.