Coronavirus

kerry davies

Sorry to hear that Grid Girl,

I went through a reorganisation where we all had to apply for one fewer job than the team had - or one of us had to drop a grade(20% pay cut) The system had been to look at what you did, then follow a nationally agreed pay/grade scale agreement and appoint you to the correct grade.

The system for us was that they designed the system structure that they "could afford" and tried to squeeze us into it. I lost out but managed to get another job in the organisation at the same salary. Very hard to be magnanimous when your friends are in the same situation. I couldn't go back even if the offer was made.

Best wishes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I ended up putting in an application for the new role, figuring I had nothing to lose (apparently the redundancy payment would still apply as it wasn’t a redeployment), had an interview on Wednesday...and didn’t get the job. The technical manager said there was almost nothing between us and it was an exceptionally difficult decision to make - I’m not sure if that makes it better or worse! I’m a little disappointed but not overly so - I’ve had plenty of time to get used to the idea of retraining; there will definitely be casual work going (possibly short term contract stuff too) so if I want that, it’s there. Right now I’m glad that a decision has been made an I can start to put plans into place - I’ve decided that going back to university and studying primary teaching is the way ahead for me, and fortunately we’re in the position where I can do that without causing financial strife.

They’ve also made 16 players redundant, and that is going down about as well as you might expect; there’s an absolute furore and I’m not altogether upset that I’m well out of it, to be honest...

That's a huge shame - I enjoy hearing your tales of the iconic antipodean establishment, and will miss them, although it sounds like you may get the chance for more in the future.

As for the teaching, though, if it's anything like the UK (I'm married to a primary teacher...) you may not have time to think too much about extra-curricular stuff! :P

But I hope that you do and the plans for a career change go well.

And of course you'll always be welcome here :D

All the best for your new role - as others have said we've enjoyed your contributions from down under so do keep up your membership of the forum!

Don't be put off by Ynot's post ; my daughter worked for Marks and Spencer almost from leaving school, at first on the shop floor and then in the HR department. She was made redundant at age 36 and decided to train as a pimary teacher (despite dire warnings from my wife, who had recently retired from her 40 year career as an infant teacher!). My daughter's now been teaching for about 5 years and thoroughly enjoys it even with the added challenges of the current pandemic. If it's what you want to do then go for it!

Hilary

I was a teacher for 21 years and enjoyed every minute of it I only left as I do think once you get between 45 & 50 you are really too old to easily relate to the students as each year passes. I realised I was turning into Mr Chips and the thought terrified me. I'd only add two things.1) Unless you are determined to teach only under elevens try not to limit the age groups for which you are training - exam work with 14-16 year olds which I ended up doing most of the time is incredibly fulfilling. 2) Don't fall in love with teaching, it is very easy to do this if you make a go of it - treat it like any other job and make sure you make time for yourself.

Jolly good luck and if you need any sounding boards at any time we'll still be here!

(My one negative note - if you find it isn't for you, and you might, walk away. It won't be your fault. I worked with quite a number who stayed when they should have gone and I can tell you it is the most miserable job that anybody could do just for the money in my opinion. Sorry for adding that but I think it ought to be said.)

Edited by Junior8

Thanks all - I suspect there will still be some tales from the Opera House to be posted on the forum yet! In all honesty I wouldn’t be surprised to find myself running a theatre company education department in five years’ time or so - it could well be the perfect job for me I suspect...

I found exactly the same thing - teaching is pretty relentless and unlike real shows, you never get the 'completion', they just merge into the same thing. For me - the very best thing was the students. Some are now sending their kids to uni and I'm real friends with a great number and even nicer, I have worked for some of them - a real role reversal. Looking back at pictures on Facebook, you see faces you instantly know who they are, and others that you don't remember at all. Having no recollection of one face, but knowing lots about the person sat next to them makes you think why?

Some of them look older than me which cheers me up - some haven't changed a bit. Some of the thick ones are now clever and have amazing jobs, other clever ones at 18 are now useless and unemployable. I stopped 16 years ago, but it still seems recent, but the age thing Junior 8 mentioned - I solidly think that fits me to a tee. Not just relating, but the ability to deal with some of their stuff just fades away.

Random thoughts. The very best thing that ever happened to/for me was that I was made redundant from a job I loved. It wasn't nice at the time but 26 years later it looks different.

I loved teaching but I think that may have been because I didn't have to do it and one of the highlights of my whole life is being part off a small department that got one special girl through her one O level.

We all learn from each other here on BR and you have taught this old dog a lot of new tricks, so thanks. Try to enjoy whatever comes next and work to live rather than live to work.

• 3 weeks later...
In a twist that I didn’t see coming, a company management job at a theatre pretty near me came up last week. I wasn’t actively looking (I’ve been busy putting university applications in!) but I follow them on Facebook and it popped up in my feed. Pay is pretty similar to what I was on at the opera, commute would be about half what it was, and as it happens in the past we’ve been subscribers of the theatre so I know they do good work. I figured I had nothing to lose and everything to gain, so I’ve put an application in and we’ll see what happens now!