Tools For Lighting

lewis.paul

Hard hat, quad spanner, multitool, selection of proper tools (small and large flat and cross head screwdrivers, snips and pliers), cutlery, water bottle, mug, teabags.

Don't tend to take any connectors or adapters, as the jobs I work on are spec'd to have everything they need.

what would you suggest as your go to items that you have in your tool case for when you go to lighting jobs. what connectors do you bring and things like that?

It depends on the type of lighting job I'm on as to what I'd call indispensable. The things I find myself using most frequently from my toolbox are:

Quad

Wingnutspanner

AJ

Swisson tester

small/medium screwdrivers

Other things I carry that I use on a mediumish frequency are

Security/unusual bit sets

Powered screwdriver

cheapo gas soldering iron

spares - M8, M10, M12 boltsets, fuses, couple of safeties, plus random bits I've picked up over the years

spirit level

sidecutters

fine snips

I do carry a 16-13 which comes in handy occasionally, but don't routinely carry connectors, as I'd normally just use another cable on a job rather than fix it in the field. I often think I probably ought to carry my multimeter with me but it's rare that I need to do fault finding on site at that level. I also have a nanoscope which sometimes comes in handy.

I'm sure if I actually looked at my toolbox I'd see other things I've forgotten above that I use a lot but that's hopefully a good start. I also of course routinely carry PPE, sharpies, LX tape, USB sticks, plasters/mini first aid kit, a notebook and pens - but they're hardly tools.

Hope that helps. What sort of lighting jobs do you work on and want advice for, specifically? My theatre work has slightly different demands from gig/corporate work, which is also significantly different from warehouse/maintenance lighting work requirements.

To begin with take as little as possible and learn what you need as you go along. Start with hard hat, steelies and rigger gloves, couple of screwdrivers, flat and crosshead, tape insulting one inch, AJ and side cutters.

I used to throw a box in the essential 4X4 and the list began with seven pound sledgehammer, included a gas and two electric soldering irons and ratchet scaff podgers. It really is as long as a piece of string and depends on what you do. Someone working on generator powered outdoor events could easily end up doing almost anything.

You don't yet know what is essential and neither do any of us. People can and will tell you what they take, from spare socks to packs of Hob Nobs. Make your own list as you go along, it will change anyway.

I work on anything to big concerts to small awards dinners to running generators to running dimmers so I could be working on lots of different events and shows in a week I'm just trying to build up my tool case so I know I can try and handle any situation on site

what would you suggest as your go to items that you have in your tool case for when you go to lighting jobs. what connectors do you bring and things like that?

It depends on the type of lighting job I'm on as to what I'd call indispensable. The things I find myself using most frequently from my toolbox are:

Quad

Wingnutspanner

AJ

Swisson tester

small/medium screwdrivers

Other things I carry that I use on a mediumish frequency are

Security/unusual bit sets

Powered screwdriver

cheapo gas soldering iron

spares - M8, M10, M12 boltsets, fuses, couple of safeties, plus random bits I've picked up over the years

spirit level

sidecutters

fine snips

I do carry a 16-13 which comes in handy occasionally, but don't routinely carry connectors, as I'd normally just use another cable on a job rather than fix it in the field. I often think I probably ought to carry my multimeter with me but it's rare that I need to do fault finding on site at that level. I also have a nanoscope which sometimes comes in handy.

I'm sure if I actually looked at my toolbox I'd see other things I've forgotten above that I use a lot but that's hopefully a good start. I also of course routinely carry PPE, sharpies, LX tape, USB sticks, plasters/mini first aid kit, a notebook and pens - but they're hardly tools.

Hope that helps. What sort of lighting jobs do you work on and want advice for, specifically? My theatre work has slightly different demands from gig/corporate work, which is also significantly different from warehouse/maintenance lighting work requirements.

If you want to be able to cover all eventualities for that breadth of events you will need a Transit van full of tools and I know people who work that way. If you want to be mobile when going to jobs you need to pack for each specific job type and your role on it. There is no easy answer because the Tardis toolbox doesn't exist.

When I find I need or wish I had something more than a couple of times in a row, then I buy it.

If you're that busy, then this method will fill you up with the perfect kit for your workload pretty fast.

One of the best pieces of advice I received was to buy a basic cheap set of tools, and replace them piece by piece with good quality items as they wore out. This gives you a cheap start, spreading the cost of expensive tools over a longer period, and helps you find what you actually need and use.

1575839383[/url]' post='579078']
1575836576[/url]' post='579076']

When I find I need or wish I had something more than a couple of times in a row, then I buy it.

If you're that busy, then this method will fill you up with the perfect kit for your workload pretty fast.

One of the best pieces of advice I received was to buy a basic cheap set of tools, and replace them piece by piece with good quality items as they wore out. This gives you a cheap start, spreading the cost of expensive tools over a longer period, and helps you find what you actually need and use.

That is probably the best advice, and just as I have given out to newbies.I used to run several sets of tools, starting at my 'survey tools' being a tool wallet (wallet tools no3 to BT/BBC aware) with a small selection of screwdrivers, pliers, pens/pencils, cutters etc and A5 notebook. And ending at a shed full of big crimps rs, work lighting, hilti, 36" stilsons, extension leads, etc...

Sadly, only you will be able to know where the list stops.

GPO/PO/BT used old civil service phraseology to describe items such as "Screwdrivers, instrument, number two". Tape insulting was what we used to call it but there is an "A" missing in one of the words.

I used to have a couple of "Wallets, tool, No 3" after I left, very handy and good leather.

Edited by kerry davies