Recommend to me a decent set of

bruce

Any recommendations for a reasonable quality set of small screwdrivers?

I’ve just spend a frustrating hour disassembling a laptop using “pound shop” or similar screwdrivers, which appear to be made from cheese.

I’m looking for a better quality alternative. Not necessarily as small as “jeweller’s screwdrivers”, but smaller than “usual”.

Flat and cross-had.

I don’t want to spend silly money, cos I’m bound to lose them - any suggestions?

Bought a set of 6 (3 cross, 3 flat) Taiwanese ones with nice long handles, branded "Pro'sKit", from CPC years back, which I haven't managed to break yet. Not a great fan of those Amazon-type kits, as I will only use about 10% of the bits & those are the ones that will go soft or get lost.

These will outlast 4 sets of cheap ones, so worth the outlay, possibly the last set you will ever need to buy

Kraftform Micro-Set/12 SB 1 Screwdriver set for electronic applications, 12 pieces https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ODV0PI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nHRuAbR3EV9FX

The wiha brand are about as good, and about the same price, it’s the fabric holders that really set wera apart for me. It’s an expensive addiction but their tools are excellent. Also available in ESD versions if that is important to you

Also available in singles so you can easily replace the one you loose if that is an issue you have, but the fabric holder really helps avoid that situation!

As James has posted above, Wera are the tools to buy if you want quality. I have found that the form on the tips to be the most accurate and long lasting of all.

Apart from a very old set of CK VDE screwdrivers (which are rarely used) all my drivers are Wera Kraftform.

Highly recommended.

I bought a couple of sets similar to the ones Bryson links to, and whilst they're only called on for occasional use they have been fine, and I haven't managed to break any yet.

For regular use I imagine the Wera option will be far superior but for anyone struggling to justify the cost the basic sets aren't bad at all. Perhaps buy from Amazon or somewhere with reviews of the actual item, and don't get the very cheapest on offer.

We have the Wera 118150 set, which is as above but without the torx and hex, and without the case, and it’s about £16

Have two sets at work (as they’re not allowed to be removed from the benches they live on) and a set at home for changing all those different toy battery covers...

As James has posted above, Wera are the tools to buy if you want quality. I have found that the form on the tips to be the most accurate and long lasting of all. Apart from a very old set of CK VDE screwdrivers (which are rarely used) all my drivers are Wera Kraftform. Highly recommended.

James mentioned Wiha, Not Wera. All of my 'instrument' (2-10mm flat & 0-4 ph & pz) screwdrivers I buy these days are Wiha and find the handles are infinitely better FOR ME than Wera. For the smaller stuff I bought some long handled things from CPC in 1995 with spinning coloured ends in a plastic base which have survived surprisingly well.

Archived