Testing I/O patch Bay

Scuba

Hi all,

At the school I work at we have a 4 channel I/O pacha bay which goes to 3 other bays in the auditorium. A few months ago during a school concert, the signal coming from some microphones wasn't being registered by the sound desk. After sending signal in the four four channels. It's come to the conclusion that nothing is travelling to or from any of the channel.

Is there a way to test the channels to accurately find out the problem. I just can't believe it's the same with all of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Scuba

easiest way is with a tone generator and sniffer,plug the genarator into the patch bay and wave the sniffer around the wires were you think the other end should be,the more evil way is to use a megger on one end and an apprentice grabbing each wire,when they jump youve found the other end

Be aware that installed cable runs, while they can fail, are pretty low down the order of testing. Particularly if the fault seems to occur across all ways. Much higher up is finger trouble, obvious connection errors and patch confusion and faulty kit used to test with. Not much happens to an installed cable in its life.

What sort of patch bay

If yours looks like two rows of jacks like http://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-B-GAUGE-HIGH-DENSITY-JACKFIELDS-Broadcast-style

then go to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_panel

and read normalisation

If you are not familiar with double innering you can get very very confused

Note also that if jack plugs with full size tips are ever used the sockets on the field may be damaged, best to avoid.

And if you know all this I will shut up

RP

What are the connectors?

Is it xlr at the stage end and 1/4 jack at the other?

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-CT100-Cable-Tester/27R?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Behringer&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=1+-+Product+Level+-+Behringer&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=2871d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=111960165199&gclid=CMTmqt3Juc0CFUwq0wod3sMNgg#full-des

I use one of the above, but in your case you'd either need a very long cable to help create a loop, or use a known good path and another lead to enable you to test the cables.

First of all, just connect something to the floor like a CD player/mic and try each path for signal

A lead tester is still a handy tool. Some others are more useful, depends on your needs

If you want to go lo-tech then an XLR of the appropriate gender with a couple of different value resistors between 1&2 and 1&3 and judicious use of an ohm meter can tell you a lot. You can readily distinguish between opens, shorts, correct connections, incorrect connections and usually shorts to ground and it's cheap, provided you already have the meter of course.

I would suggest you read again what Rob IndyLD writes and diagnose which part of the chain is at fault before going into detailed cable checks.

I am more than aware that this is a school and that some helpful student might have done something under pressure. That's why I would get whoever experienced the problem to begin with to take me through the steps they had done. It might well be something utterly simple because in all my years I never knew an entire multi go down unless someone chopped it very obviously. Had the builders in?

I've since bought the Rat Sound Sniffer (an excellent little gadget). Tested a couple of cables first, the lights all came on. Plugged it into the panel and nothing come on. Hmm

I assume by "patch bay" you mean a simple connection panel? The term patch bay generally refers to something rather different.

Do you know the route that the cable follows? Are you able to access all of it? If only part of it is accessible, a tone generator and sniffer, as Hippy mentions, will likely be your best bet. Connect to one end and follow the cable until the signal stops. Do that from both ends to narrow it down. Builders / contractors can be a pain for damaging wires. Been there...

I don't know if I able to access all of it. The boss is just about adamant of me not doing anything without an electrician, apart from tidying and ordering classroom supplies, despite my background.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do with that. Thanks Shez

I assume by "patch bay" you mean a simple connection panel? The term patch bay generally refers to something rather different.

Do you know the route that the cable follows? Are you able to access all of it? If only part of it is accessible, a tone generator and sniffer, as Hippy mentions, will likely be your best bet. Connect to one end and follow the cable until the signal stops. Do that from both ends to narrow it down. Builders / contractors can be a pain for damaging wires. Been there...

I've since bought the Rat Sound Sniffer (an excellent little gadget). Tested a couple of cables first, the lights all came on. Plugged it into the panel and nothing come on. Hmm

Have you taken the front panel off to see if anything is actually connected? It wouldn't be the first wallbox I've come across without any cabling going to it.

Archived