Correct wood for flat building

solex

Hello all,

Done searches both on the forum and the wider web without luck, apologies if I've missed obvious posts.

I'm a sparkie mostly but I have built a few flats, but never actually made the orders of timber to construct them. I'm looking at making Hollywood style flats, the skin ply is simple enough to source but I'm failing as to what timber to get for the 3x1 for the frame

Most searches I can find are as specific as "pine" but when I try and get quotes for this there are more than a few types to choose from.

So my main questions are

1. what type of wood do I want to source for the 3x1 (would like to keep the cost down where I can)
  2. where would you recomend I get it from? (we are based in london)

Thanks

Sol

We've found Jewson to be relatively economic, reliable with deliveries, and good at supplying timber that is straight enough to build with. We were using a smaller local firm but after rejecting two deliveries due to poor quality we had to switch.

2x1 PAR is what I used to use, 3x1PAR if the budget was there. PAR - planed all round. I don't think I have ever been picky about timber, just so long as its not treated, treated is hell.

Suppliers is a whole other thing, I stopped using Jewsons because they were quite a bit more than other local people + were never specific about when it would be delivered. I found at least with the small guys I could say a time frame that worked.

Thanks all that's a great help.

Punching in scotts pine has eloped a lot. Found a local supplier with softwood carcassing timber in 3x1 would that sound like its suitable.

Also there seems to be a big price difference going for sawn rather than par, will I shoot myself in the foot getting the cheaper sawn stuff?

Jewson seem good but not as good as smaller merchants, travis perkin on the other hand are £££!

Something we found useful was building up a relationship with your local timber and building merchants. A few tickets from time to time for shows when you place an order is a good start - they tend to make sure they deliver at a decent time, don't fob you off with dogy bits of timber, and have been useful when, for example, we needed something lifting with a Hiab - they did it as a favour for a couple of tickets and a credit in the programme. Network - build relationships. You don't get that with the faceless big chains.

Personal choice was to go and select PSE in person. It varies so widely from depot to depot and day to day that suggesting one "Brand" or source of supply is unreliable. One Jewson or Travis can vary so wildly from the next and from each other it's a gamble. Sawn from one source might just do it but from most will not.

At the end of the day if it was cr@p I only had myself to blame. I definitely would not telephone order in bulk if I hadn't got trust and prior experience in a supplier.

Don't buy sawn, short for rough sawn, unless you can run the stuff through a planer. Buy the planed all round, or PAR, also known as PSE (planed smooth edge).

Being a pedant but they are not the same. And the 'S' is for 'square' not 'smooth'.

PDF says 2013 but a.n.other supplier from wiki link above, about 30% cheaper on sizes of interest

http://www.woodyalan.co.uk/timberpriceseb.htm

Prices can vary wildly, phone or call in to places that supply timber upto full 4.8m lengths not in bundle packs of 2m ;-)

Agree with Kerry,if you want straight timber , go to the yard and pick the lengths invidually yourself, no one phones asking for just bananna wood...

Archived