Cutting scaff tube

Ynot

Evening.

Suggestions (serious ones please) for cutting copious numbers of scaff tube legs for decking.

The obvious hand-hacksaw is out for two reasons - you can never guarantee a flat cut by hand, and cutting as many as I need will be exhausting!

I may be able to get hold of a metal cutting band saw (with a lock-off clamp) but that's not certain as yet.

So - suggestions for hire options if it comes to it...?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers

I thought chop saw at first - thinking the regular timber-cutting variety refitted with metal cutting blade, but judged them to be non-viable because of the potential for kick-back on the tube being much higher than in timber...

The linked option however looks a lot more likely however - does it have a clamp?

I have access to a workshop with a large horizontal bandsaw. It's fitted with liquid cooling and an adjustable stop to allow reproducable length cuts. If it wasn't there, I'd be using a chop saw with a suitable alloy cutting blade...

Yes, they have a clamp. We have a Makita one here that we use for exactly that purpose. Get plenty of discs, though - if you're cutting large quantities of steel it'll eat discs for breakfast!

Yes, they have a clamp. We have a Makita one here that we use for exactly that purpose. Get plenty of discs, though - if you're cutting large quantities of steel it'll eat discs for breakfast!

excellent.

We're cutting ally scaff, not steel, though the point about discs is well made

For steel we just hired a chopsaw ( as above) for £42p/w + £3 a disc.

For ali we use a wood chopsaw with metal blade (make sure you can use a ali blade in the saw some wont let you because of the RPM) I have never had a problem cutting ali, we have not cut ALOT in a row though.

Can you (suppose you can) get ali grinding wheels? I'd have thought that "normal" grinders would be too fast and they'd be inclined to clog. Never looked into it though.]

A quick wipe around with a bastard file should clear swarf.

Archived