Cutting scaff tube

Ynot

Do not miss the advise towards the end of the thread this has been merged with re: de-burring. I still just use a round file for it (because I don't cut that much scaff) much as the reamer mentioned at the end of the last thread seems quite niffty. A friend of mine has really quite an impressive scar from a piece of pipe that still had some sharp waste attached to it...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the evo rage 3 compound mitre saw http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rage-3-255mm-compound-sliding-mitre-saw-230v/65730 and it did 130 steel deck legs and then the set build and I haven't had to replace the blade yet

I was initially sceptical given the price but I was pleasantly surprised. Make sure you correct the blade when it arrives though - they don't ship them properly aligned!

I didn't need the clamp on the whole but used it when the scaff was down to about 30cm and I was trimming about 18mm off the end

I put a block of wood in between scaff and clamp and that seemed to keep it more secure

It is not the best clamp in the world though I must admit

Just to wrap this up - bought a Evolution Rage 4 185mm chop saw - goes through ali scaff like butter, and goes through steel scaff without too many complaints. Despite being larger than the guide suggests, scaff fits fine.

It's cheap and cuts well - the clamp is strong, but doesn't always stay straight as it tightens - over-tightening the clamp can make the mountings bow and result in an off-square cut. For the price though you can't have everything.

Straight out the box went through about 40 ali cuts and a dozen steel cuts without any hesitation.

Archived