Cutting scaff tube

Ynot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

I wasn't sure which of the subforums this would best fit into so please move it if appropriate.

I'm looking for recommendations of what to cut scaff tube with, mostly ali but the odd bit of steel, for decking legs and set pieces - I'm looking at three options:

Makita 2414NB - 355mm abrasive cut-off saw

Evolution Rage2 - 355mm multi-purpose saw - cuts woods and ali - but very expensive replacement blades (£55)

Record 202 - roller pipe cutter - apparently cuts steel tube, but I've got to say I've got my doubts!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with the above, or what else you're using for cutting tube.

Is that working on Ali as well Gareth, or are you using a toothed blade for that?

It's interesting you mention that problem Brian - the catalogue I found the Makita in describes it as suitable for Steel/Ali - but most advice seems to agree with you that a toothed blade is best for ali - in fact it may be done on a standard mitre saw with an appropriate blade.

Is that working on Ali as well Gareth, or are you using a toothed blade for that?

It's mostly used for steel legs for Steeldeck - but I've also used it occasionally for the odd bit of ali bar (not in any sort of quantity, though, so I don't know whether clogging would be an issue if making lots of cuts).

Interesting - I wonder if I can fit a TCT saw blade into the Makita for the odd Ali cut. The blades are expensive though - £60/blade for the Makita replacements, £55/blade for the Evolution multi-purpose blades - even if the abrasive disks clog up, I can get them for less than a fiver each..

I might look into two blades according to use.

Right - now convinced (despite what the BOC catalogue says) that an abrasive disk isn't the best idea for regular aluminium use, I'm think a Rage 4 Chop Saw might be the best for my application - reading most of the reviews the Rage blades don't last too long on steel, but the Chop Saw only takes a 185mm blade (compared to the 355 blade in the Rage 2), so are £25/piece as opposed to £55. Only a 90mm max cut, but for primarily ali and steel scaff that doesn't really worry me too much.

Edit: 45mm max cut, not quite enough for 48mm. Have to try one to see, otherwise it's back to the Rage2 and its expensive blades.

I'm looking for recommendations of what to cut scaff tube with, mostly ali but the odd bit of steel, for decking legs and set pieces - I'm looking at three options:

Standard metal cutting disc on an Angle Grinder,,,,,,, FFS, you're not reinventing the wheel :)

Just keep your lines straight ;)

Don't use a grinder for the cut, unless you want sparks everywhere and out of square cuts. Use a metal cutting chop saw, with a job clamp, and with an appropriate TCT blade. Minimal sparking, clean cut.

I have always used a Jepson chop saw, but other makes are available.

My old metalwork teacher nearly had a fit when he caught a student using a grinder for ally - the discs can clog, overheat and explode. That's why they make special discs for aluminium. There's also the slight risk of mixing steel and aluminium dust if you're cutting both in the same place 'cos it can make a highly flammable mixture. I've had a small (4 1/2") disc break up on me whilst angle grinding steel - much bruising to the legs but if it had hit me in the face..... Worth wearing a full face mask if using bigger discs.

I'm sure toothed saws would be a better option - I presume you run them reasonably slowly?

Archived