Small Scale Comms

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it's cheaper to have a plain psu and extra comms pack rather than a full master station, and potentially a lot simpler in a portable style setup.

This is basically the set I hire out. A lot cheaper than having a base set and all kit for three way set fits in a large B and Q metal case!

You can get a Altair Comms System for £1435+vat consisting on a power supply, 4 beltpacks & 4 single muff headsets (all you need then is XLR cables).

That's expensive.

The headsets shown on that page at £157 each can be bought from Canford for £110 or if you go for the ASL ones they come in at under £50. You can get Tecpro power supplies for £165 instead of £255 for the Altair.

You could put together a new ASL system for around £1,000.

That's expensive.

The headsets shown on that page at £157 each can be bought from Canford for £110 or if you go for the ASL ones they come in at under £50. You can get Tecpro power supplies for £165 instead of £255 for the Altair.

You could put together a new ASL system for around £1,000.

Thanks Brian for spotting a massive error in my price spreadsheet. List price for Tecpro Power Supply is £195 against Altair £255, however the altair beltpacks are £138ea (Tecpro £175ea) & headsets priced at £110 (£157 for XLR4mini) (will change the website)

However if you wanted a Tecpro Master Station is would be £850 compared to Altair £566.

4 way system would be £1247 list price for Altair or £1335 for Tecpro.

In addition, Altair equipment has a 2yr warranty (except batteries) where as I believe Canford is 12 months which is always worth a consideration.

In addition, Altair equipment has a 2yr warranty (except batteries) where as I believe Canford is 12 months which is always worth a consideration.

What does the warranty cover, though? In my experience, the most likely victim of damage is the headsets being dropped or stood on, which renders them almost useless. Would you replace one in that condition under warranty?

The following webpage Link has details of a self build system, that is one step up from the two tin cans and string.

That looks great, but I really don't have the knowledge or skill to build something like that!! I would't even know where to start!

That looks great, but I really don't have the knowledge or skill to build something like that!! I would't even know where to start!

Yes, but you're at a school, and someone will. Make use of the resources schools have, which, frankly, are far better equipped and have the skills available of all but the largest of the professional operators.

Archived