Small Scale Comms

If you're going to build something I would build Comclone... the system linked to above doesn't have a "line hybrid" and will have large changes in volume depending on how many units are connected. Also... it's line level audio connected up with bell wire, that's got to pick up noise surely?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

The following webpage Link has details of a self build system, that is one step up from the two tin cans and string.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with the Cue Lights topic going on, and having just struggled through another show with cheap walkie talkies, it put me in the mood for this (plus I'm looking for a wee project at the minute!)

I just have a few questions:

1) Has anyone on here made this before? Is it actually any good? (and would they mind if I PM'd them for help if I got totally stuck!?)

2) How difficult is it? Since I started this topic I've become a little more proficient with a soldering iron, but if this is a really complex build I might be a bit overambitious!

3) Where on earth do you get the custom printed PCBs?

Thanks

Joe

For my School I have recently bought four two way radios. They were the Midland G7 PMR radios and also the Midland PMR headset. Its only about £85 for 2 radios and £15 for a headset and they work brilliantly. Yes, radios are not particularly good if you are working on a very large set with many crew members who need comms but, on a small scale like a school they are perfect. The quality of sound is good, so is the range, and the price isn't bad either.

Two way radios are great for MacDonalds, building sites and loads of other comms jobs, but the point of proper comms for shows is that they are two way devices at the same time - for cueing a show you need to listen for the cue, but be able to interrupt and you can't do that with walkie-talkies. They're fine for non-show critical jobs, but just unreliable for show use - but of course the advantage is they are cheap.

We have walkie talkies, and they are pretty much useless. I can use it to talk to Lx or followspot at the other side of the hall. But my school is basically a sealed metal box, so they don't reach the green room or backstage so they're of limited use. I'm really looking for more info on the comms kit.

Two way radios are great for MacDonalds...

Actually, no they're not.

Maccas, along with most drive-thru food joints use HME kit, which is full duplex wireless.

HME also package the kit for theatre use, perhaps not terribly surprising, given that HME own ClearCom...

• 2 months later...

This got me thinking last night, as I was drifting off to sleep. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I may just be stupid....

Wouldn't there be a cheap way to get bluetooth working as a coms system, using a bunch of headsets and a little host computer?

The only issue I see is range.

I'd say avoid the bluetooth... Something that critical to safety during performances should never be left to something that isn't "fail safe/fail reliable"... A comms crash isn't fail reliable! - spoken from attempting to use an off brand bluetooth job myself.

If anyone is interested, I'll dig out & opensource (from an old PC somewhere in the loft) the schematics and PCB designs for a comms system a group of us made for a society a few years back: It's a party-line job, with power and signal down 3 wires of anything, and self-null (i.e. you don't hear yourself). Good for well over 200M of pretty much any cable. It's also balanced line. You'll need a 24V d.c power supply. We used it in a loud environment with gaming headsets not too dissimilar from these cheap ones from trust with no problem.

If there's enough interest, I could get a batch of PCB's printed (daul layer, with silkscreen and soldermask, HASL or ENIG finish) for no profit - you'd need to add TL074 op-amps, a couple of resistors and capacitors, a pair of XLR's, two 3.5mm sockets, a headset, and a box to put each beltpack in. You'd be looking at a lead time of 3 or 4 weeks, and a cost of £3 + post (peanuts) each.

When we made them, we managed to make each beltpack (exc headset) for under £15 each, and used the PCB's as "learn to solder" projects...

In all, you could build a 10 user set in under a day for circa £300?

• 3 weeks later...
Apologies for the delay everyone: Shortly after promising you the files, I was offered a new job in London... So have had other things, such as "I have never been to London, how do I find a house", and "Argh! Packing." on my mind. Naturally, I packed the old laptop with the files, and forgot all about this thread (DOH!) . Rest assured once I get to unpack it, I'll be on the case again.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the delay everyone: Shortly after promising you the files, I was offered a new job in London... So have had other things, such as "I have never been to London, how do I find a house", and "Argh! Packing." on my mind. Naturally, I packed the old laptop with the files, and forgot all about this thread (DOH!) . Rest assured once I get to unpack it, I'll be on the case again.

Oooooh!

Hope the move went well !

I came to the Blue Room tonight to research low-cost Talkback systems, hoping to find a DIY-type project that I could make for use in a Christmas show that my church is putting on, and your description of your system sounds like it ticks all my boxes!

Do you have a view of how many orders you'd need to make it viable ? For me, I would be thinking of 6.

Thanks,

Anthony

Archived