Line 6 Digital Wireless Systems

boswell

Currently we have Trantec 4.16 with the £40 CPC headsets that come fitted with the locking jacks, and they work just fine :D

I haven't looked yet to see if the same headsets come with the 4 pin jobbies (mini XLR???).

If they don't, then am I right that I have to start putting resistors in the plugs as mentioned previously? And if that is indeed the case, please could someone post a definative guide as to what values to solder to what pins etc? I'm quite competant doing the soldering, but the previous replies seem to have different info, so I'd just like to know what's needed to interface £40 CPC headsets to Line6 belt packs. :D

Here are the three £40 CPC headset mic variants for 4 pin mini XLRs - just been looking for my JTS radio packs. Can't answer about the resistor, I'm afraid until we've got some to see. (BTW, I think these links are showing a current discount - not sure how much longer that lasts)

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=MP3390217

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=MP3390617

http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/mic-3000x4/microphone-headset-4p-mini-XLR/dp/MP3391017

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to their posted specs ... these mics have pretty low output. I guess it depends on whether you are using them with strong singing or with weak speech. Personally I'd prefer something with a sensitivity spec in the mid 50's.

That said you will have to experiment a bit with the resistor value. I'd start with a 10k ohm resistor in series with pin 2 (bias) and a 10 ufd cap in series with pin 3 (audio) and short pins 3&4 together. Pin 1 is the ground/shield.

According to their posted specs ... these mics have pretty low output. I guess it depends on whether you are using them with strong singing or with weak speech. Personally I'd prefer something with a sensitivity spec in the mid 50's.

That said you will have to experiment a bit with the resistor value. I'd start with a 10k ohm resistor in series with pin 2 (bias) and a 10 ufd cap in series with pin 3 (audio) and short pins 3&4 together. Pin 1 is the ground/shield.

I've tried these mics, use a 2k2 resistor and forget the 10uf cap.

The ones with the 4p mini XLR socket fitted work out of the box :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a freelancer I'm seeing these systems more and more regularly on smaller corporate events.

A problem that I have come across is a random crack on the audio. Sounds like a capacitor discharging.

I have had this with both handheld and belt pack systems, using both paddles and the rubber ducky antennas.

They are different systems owned by different companies with different capsules on the belt packs.

The only things in common between all the occurrences are the the Line 6 brand and the engineer(!)

Is anyone else experiencing this? The crack shows up on the audio meter on the Rx and the RF level never drops... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

Mark

Static electricity??

Same performer (/costume) or different?

David

No, different presenter each time.

I suppose static is a possibility but I've never experienced it on a radio system before, also it happens when the handhelds are sat in clips side of stage so I find it unlikely...

• 1 month later...

FYI - we've just finished a 3 week run of Panto with 12 relatively new model 70 line-6's lavs with no issues. 2 sets of 6, each set having its own pair of paddle aerials. Aerials were located at the rear of the auditorium.

These were hired in, but we may well buy some when we get our dosh from Equiniti.

I can answer that one Paul, Yes, we have got 8 V70L systems and the feedback probs are non existent , possibly due to the small amount of delay 3ms approx.

But if you force them into feedback there is no warning, they just take off!!

I only have a few niggles with them, beltpack battery cover clips are weak, they have made no allowance for the variations in AA battery size and some makes jam in.

The TA4M receptacle on the belt pack are fussy which make of TA4F they will latch with

The TA4M on the beltpack is made of plastic and the lip for the latch soon wears so nothing will lock in. Should be a metal bodied TA4m but I can't find a suitable one

The TA4M on the beltpack makes contact with the main motherboard via gold plated contacts, this allows some movement in the connector without breaking contact (good Idea) but salts from sweat can build up under the contacts and require a stripdown to clean.

Overall, they are pretty good, all systems have niggling faults and require periodic attention and I don't find Line6 any worse than Sennheiser.

A major gripe is the lack of a UK service centre and availability of spares (ie there is non) They want every thing to go back to them for repair even simple ones.

I am also annoyed in part that they have now brought out V75 within 2 years of marketing V70, they have used me/you etc to test the the market with V70 and we are now left with obsolete used kit of little resale value and no upgrade path apart from forking out more cash for a V75 receiver.

I must also point out that the firmware update holds little attraction for me, I'm not bothered if V70 interferes with wireless network hubs etc, they should not be on the internet during a show anyway.

Line 6 has a good reputation for all it's other non wireless kit and that's why I bought into it, but not anymore, I've learnt my lesson, Established Senn kit all the way from now!

That's another 4 sales Line 6 will lose when the next tranche of the Ch69 compo comes thro' later this year.

I am also annoyed in part that they have now brought out V75 within 2 years of marketing V70, they have used me/you etc to test the the market with V70 and we are now left with obsolete used kit of little resale value and no upgrade path apart from forking out more cash for a V75 receiver.

I must also point out that the firmware update holds little attraction for me, I'm not bothered if V70 interferes with wireless network hubs etc, they should not be on the internet during a show anyway.

Hey Bos

Is that really different than many other high tech products? My laptop gets an overhaul every year and my cell phone every 3 months. Your V70's are no less that when you purchased them and we have provided a free upgrade path. They will work right along side the new units It does require using the new (higher cost) model that has a USB port, but you are certainly not required my any means to purchase on to upgrade your units. I would imagine that the dealer that you purchased your systems from could accommodate you.

You may want to read through the list of upgrades even if you are not interested in the Wi-Fi benefits.

• Filter models for backpacks
  • output level control
  • RF monitoring tools and additional antenna tools
  • Improved dynamic filtering (environment filter)
  • 2 additional user channels
  • 30% reduction of latency
  • and a host of little performance tweaks

all free :-)

I think the snag Don, is that many of us are using the Government compensation for giving up our ch 69 kit to buy new. The Government spec sheets included a lot of equipment with quite long service lives, so we're really not used to equipment of this price range being outdated so quickly. Sennheiser had a good run on G2 before moving to G3, and the originals are still going strong.

You haven't provided a free upgrade path, with respect. I don't know anyone with V75 receivers, and the only dealers with stock are a long way away, and the chances of getting a loan are a bit steep. The small problem I had (that you sorted out for me in the post from the States, couldn't be done here in the UK - the supplying dealer had no spares, so wanted the entire thing back - and as I can't get the receivers apart - they're jammed solid, I couldn't return them. The only solution would be to buy a new system, use it to do the upgrade and then send it back - which is unfair on the dealer.

I'd like to upgrade to the new spec, to keep current - but can't really see a way to do it. Even if Boswell or myself got one of ours done, it's a long journey to meet up and do the upgrade.

For the record, the laptop on which I'm typing this (and use many hours a day, every day) is four years old and my cell phone is on a 2 year contract and has to last that long before I'll contemplate any change. My previous cell phone was a Nokia using Symbian and when Nokia decided to ditch Symbian (because it just didn't work reliably) and replace it with Windows--but leave existing users in the lurch, they lost me as a long-term customer.

Just saying.

Gear that's marketed for professional uses shouldn't be subject to frequent upgrades, particularly if the changes are to mitigate problems rather than add fucntionality.

Is that really different than many other high tech products?

Yes, it is - at least in the professional side of the industry rather than the home market.

I work in the IT industry, and purchase hundreds, if not thousands, of computers every year. One of our key requirements is platform stability - that the spec does not change every 5 minutes - suppliers must commit to making standard specs available for an extended period.

That's one reason why the major computer manufacturers have several ranges of PCs - a "home" model and a "business" model. The "home" model changes every few months, to incorportate the latest features - if they didn't they'd be dead in the water. The "business" model is a much more stable platform, with perhaps a chipset upgrade every year or 18 months.

I also get at least 6 months notice that a product is about to go "end of life", and guarantees of long term (typically 5 years) maintenance, support and spares availability from the manufacturer, even after a product has been "end-of-lifed".

Hi dboomer,

So just to confirm, I can have an upgrade done to my existing v70's that will give me

• Filter models for backpacks
  • output level control
  • RF monitoring tools and additional antenna tools
  • Improved dynamic filtering (environment filter)
  • 2 additional user channels
  • 30% reduction of latency
  • and a host of little performance tweaks

How do I go about getting this done, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks

Andrew

Archived