Line 6 Digital Wireless Systems

boswell

I have a smart phone with wifi switched on, when it was sat on top of the radio mic rack there were all sorts of drop-outs

Yeah, about unexpected that. If you put a source of large amounts of RF (like a cellphone) next to a receiver expecting tiny amounds of RF, then unless very very stringent precautions with the design abd build of the reciever are taken, you'll piss the receiver off. Technically, it's know as desensing.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a smart phone with wifi switched on, when it was sat on top of the radio mic rack there were all sorts of drop-outs

This would worry me regarding using this type of system with the quantity of smart phones with wifi in use these days. I wonder how many of the public go into a venue with them switched on. The sound operator needs to enforce the message and insists that it gets put into the printed program "Please turn off all mobile phones"

David

Is there any word on the USB side of these things? Is it purely for software updates or do we think they'll release some kind of remote monitoring feature like Trantec do? Would be a nice little addition if that was the case.

C

I think we have to consider the Line 6 as a good quality product that is being sold to the MI market, not pro-audio. Line 6 are committed to the music market, and their dealer network is firmly centred on serving the needs of musicians. Even some of the design concepts are tailored for the non-technical buyer. Things like the lack of a gain control irkle a bit with us, because we can foresee adjustment as a 'need' - however Line 6 designed the product for people who wouldn't know how to do it.

Remote monitoring is something they perhaps don't even really see a need for at all. Look at most of the other manufacturers. They do battery receivers for the video people, they do IEM systems, they do plug on transmitters. Line 6 don't seem bothered about this side of the product, happy to be making yet another useful product for musicians.

Couple of points ...

Yes, you could very well desensitize the receiver by putting a cell phone or laptop with it's wi-fi turned on within a couple feet of the receiver's antennas. Not a good practice. So if you routinely need to do this then paddle antennas would be a must. When you split the antennas further apart it would be difficult for any single transmitter to overpower both of them at the same time. For a pro show I'd consider paddles a must anyway.

A Gain control has been added in the V2.0 firmware update.

• 4 months later...

Couple of points ...

Yes, you could very well desensitize the receiver by putting a cell phone or laptop with it's wi-fi turned on within a couple feet of the receiver's antennas. Not a good practice. So if you routinely need to do this then paddle antennas would be a must. When you split the antennas further apart it would be difficult for any single transmitter to overpower both of them at the same time. For a pro show I'd consider paddles a must anyway.

A Gain control has been added in the V2.0 firmware update.

Just been reading up on the v2 firmware update for the V70 and like what I see.

Well, up to the point where I discovered that I can't actually do the upgrade as I only have V70 systems, and not a V75.

For something I bought less than a year ago, and have been really pleased with, it now seems that the manufacturer has made these systems obsolete.

So, is there any way I can get the upgrade done without having to purchase a V75 system (which we can't afford to do)?? Do Line 6 have a loan/demo unit that they can ship out for me to upgrade?

Thats pretty thorough! Line 6 support is usually pretty good (but I would say that, Im a dealer :rolleyes: ). I have been user though too, with mainly amplifier and recording products. Ive good things though about their wireless audio stuff in terms of audio quality but it should be for the price!

Apparently not - I have 5 of the V70s on the original software and I guess that's how they'll have to stay.

Ditto I've got 8 and they are staying on v1 software, no advantage to me to upgrade

The thing is, there *is* an advantage, the newer firmware won't stamp all over the other wireless stuff quite as much.

I think it's a bit poor of Line 6 to not have a sample/demo unit that can be used to do the firmware upgrade that can be couriered to customers and couriered back... take a credit card as security maybe and then refund/don't charge the card for a successful return. Wouldn't take longer than a couple of days for each customer...

I had a reply from the UK support section of Line 6.

They will do the upgrade if you send them the unit. But, they will charge half an hour labour per unit. Undoubtedly would also charge for return shipping.

Details on their site show that the labour rate is £48 per hour and shipping £11 per box.

Plus the cost of shipping to them in the first place makes it quite expensive.

Poor show Line6. I don't think I will buy any more of their equipment.

I'm almost tempted to buy a unit to do mine with and then make it available for short hires for other people to upgrade theirs with. Must be a workable business model in there...

We would suggest contacting the dealer you purchased your systems from to see if they can assist you in upgrading?

If that doesn't work for you there are rental units available if you wish to rent one and perform the upgrades yourself. Contact Jimmy Mac at Music Bank (Hire) Ltd in London. Tel 020 7252 0001 or jimm@musicbank.org

Might be better to see if he'd do the upgrade and return your unit to you done - which you could then do the others - and he could even charge for the service? Not sure if it would make you much money Shez? Line 6 would charge you £24, plus £11 - £35 which isn't really out of the way price wise and won't be making them rich, will it?

Archived