Line 6 Digital Wireless Systems

boswell

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't just be me musing on this one of course...but had a "set of mics" been made available for testing before folk bought them then it may be the glitches would have surfaced by now and said kit could have been crossed off the wish list, or not had probs on a performance.

And, Line 6 might have been able to do some mods etc, etc.

As it is, thus far, we have had various reports on how the kit can cause interference to other systems and now it appears that in some instances can be rendered "impractical" by older kit leaking rf all over.

I have formed the impression that the technology was rushed to market and nothing like enough testing was done...or the policy was for punters to do the testing "in the field".

Frankly DB not good public relations at all. "We" don't have enough time or cash, or desire for that matter, to undertake testing of all the kit that is introduced to the market. That is the sole preserve of the manufacturers. In UK goods can be returned owing to not being "fit for purpose".

Has anyone used these at a venue or gig where VHF PMR radios are in use? Would be interesting to see what happens if someone gets a bit close while transmitting!

We use 6 sets of VHF Business radio (High Band) with no problems, but then again we don't allow transmitters of any kind near the desk, amps, RXs etc.

No matter how robust, any radio-based kit can be jammed by another signal. The Line6 radio mics are very robust due to the way the digital information is coded. They use spread spectrum technology so they don't depend on an single frequency and have built in error correction.

My firm guess is that this problem is more down to other gear putting out highly illegal amounts of RF interference right next to the Line6 receivers than an inherent weakness with Line6. Your car may have a five star ENCAP safety rating but that probably won't save your life if a 40 ton artic is doing 100mph towards you in your lane.

...none of which negates the separate problem of all the Line6 "robustness" potentially blotting out a less-robust wifi network, including DMX.

Bob

Does that include cell phones? Which prompts me to ask about the use of wifi DMX kit.

It does include mobile phones (cell phones) but nothing to do with line 6, Mobiles or any type of TX stands a chance of causing interference if in close proximity to the desk, outboards, amps etc. Not saying they will, but we don't take the chance. The sound Op stays on wired cans!

Not got WiFi DMX so can't comment.

Just thought I'd mention that, over on the Theatre Sound Mailing List, one of the regulars (Steve Devino) has announced that he's joining Line 6 on September 1 as "Live Sound Project Manager".

I've never met Steve in real life but, from his posts, he's very knowledgeable and definitely one of the "good guys". The appointment bodes well for Line 6 and their commitment to this side of the industry.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
I'm starting to have doubts as to the wisdom of buying 5 hand-held V70 systems. Random 'silence' that doesn't show on the receiver displays,apart from no audio for a second or so - and now re-batterying has revealed the plastic tubes as fragile - they've not been abused, but just a tiny bit of tightening too much doesn't jam them on (like Sennheisers) it cracks them. I have hairline cracks on two, and one has a bit of the thread area crack in two places, downwards, creating a flap, requiring tape. I'll send these back for repair under guarantee at the end of the season, but can't afford to lose them until then. It's a shame, because they do sound quite nice!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to resurect this topic....

I may be looking at buying 12 Line6 beltpack systems next year :o

Just wondered if anyone had any further comments or experiences in recent weeks?

I'm not concerned about knocking out nearby wifi, or being interfered with by other kit, as they will be used in isolation (i.e. no spurious VHF cheap mics :) ) in fact the receivers will be in near enough best case scenario.

TX will be worn by yoofs doing musicals with either lapels or headsets, probably under costumes and possibly in pouches.

Looking at the pros and cons in this thread, the cons don't look like they will be an issue for me, so that just leaves the pros :D

Comments?

If you buy then it seems to me that it would be a huge leap of faith. Perhaps you could organise hiring a dozen sets and have very early rehearsals so to speak? If there were any probs, in the "unforseen" dept, then you would have longer to rethink replacements.

Paulears has mentioned the issues with dropouts on his units...but they are the handheld versions. Have "we" enough info ref the beltpack units? As far as I can see the rx units are common to both, ie they use the XD-V30 rx. Ergo does the drop out problem stem from the tx units or rx unit?

I'm using four of their beltpack systems in panto at the moment, alongside a mixture of ch.38 and ch.69 systems. I've got a wifi AP about 3 foot away from the receiver rack for a tablet running Airfader for my LS9. All working perfectly thus far.

Actually, the one problem I've had was a battery getting stuck in one of the L6 packs - I'm trying rechargeables and they're ever so slightly thicker than normal AAs. I'll report back at the end of the run if I have any other issues.

Buying 12 of any system is a big investment, so it's definitely worth trying before you buy in the circumstances that you plan to use them in.

Thanks for the additional replies thus far folks :)

Please could someone clarify how to use headsets with the Line6 packs?

Currently we have Trantec 4.16 with the £40 CPC headsets that come fitted with the locking jacks, and they work just fine :D

I haven't looked yet to see if the same headsets come with the 4 pin jobbies (mini XLR???).

If they don't, then am I right that I have to start putting resistors in the plugs as mentioned previously? And if that is indeed the case, please could someone post a definative guide as to what values to solder to what pins etc? I'm quite competant doing the soldering, but the previous replies seem to have different info, so I'd just like to know what's needed to interface £40 CPC headsets to Line6 belt packs. :D

Thanks again!

Archived