What kit do you have at your school?

Freddie

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I resisted as it has been done before. Suffice to say, the general consensus is that they aren't a good thing. Have a good search on here for why.

Josh

Have you used them?

Is that why all major scaled events are using them?

What is so wrong with moving lighting?

Well, I resisted as it has been done before. Suffice to say, the general consensus is that they aren't a good thing. Have a good search on here for why.

Josh

Have you used them?

Ermmm... There are many reasons that have been discussed on here before why moving lights shouldnt be bought and installed in most educational practice's (there are exceptions, but from the sound of it your school isnt one of them)

• Price of lamps- Many educational practices arent going to bother spending the £100 quid or so on a new lamp when the lamp in the mover blows
  • Maintinence - Movers are complicated things, and all complicated things break down once in a while, many educational practices dont have a full time venue technician to provide maintinece to the movers.
  • Time taken to programe them - Often people dont have the time to programme movers in an educational enviroment... I know you said you were programming for 2 weeks to 5.30 (wow... :P) but many places dont have the time to programme the movers.

And I'm sure there are many other reasons but cant remember themm off hand, use the search and I'm sure you'll find them :)

And the reason major scaled events are useing them are easy... They have the money, time and technicians to keep them working, running and programmed... Also notice that with a very few exceptions that most major events are also still useing conventional lanterns (for instance eurovision used something like 250 Par64's, about 50 S4 5 degree's, and about 60 8 cell blinders)

And IIRC, smalljoshua has used movers.... but I'll wait until he confirms that...

James

what is so right with moving lighting?

it's not the moving lights themselves that are the problem, it's the way people use them. they are so often used as a one-size fits all soloution to lighting design. And it's not just in schools.

Josh

Have you used them?

I think mrcog has summed it up quite well.

In answer to your questions, I have used moving lights. Lots of them. I don't spec them unless I think they can add something to the event. For live music they are great. I don't like them so much for theatre. I also still believe that in small to medium theatre nothing beats a strong well focused generic rig and I would take that over 30 movers any day.

Josh

I wish we had a director/drama head/bursar who said "buy the most expensive gear" - movers here I come (a couple of spots only). At our school it's more like Ultra Uber High Efficiency Freeform textural lighting!

However I am interested in building one - something to do with a parcan and an old xbox - use your imagination. Oh well - a summer project I think!

Laurence

• 2 weeks later...
We have a really tight budget but we have:

<snip>

- led pars

- mac 250 (2)

- loads of lanterns

Tight? Tight! Sounds like a pretty good budget to me.

Josh

I second that. What I'd give for a couple of Mac's to play with. Oh yeah and I suppose a digital desk to do it with  ;)

- zero 88 alcora

- zero 88 demux 48

- 4 analoug dimmer packs

- 4 Etc sorce 4 parnels

- led pars

- mac 250 (2)

- loads of lanterns

Sell a desk and get some more lights if your budget is so tight :D

- zero 88 alcora

- zero 88 demux 48