9x Par64s

28x ETC source4's 26 degrees

14x ETC source4 zooms 15 to 30 degrees

8x ETC source4 10 degrees

2x Strand lekos

12x Altman broad cyc's

1x Robe colorwash 250at

2x Mac 575 krypton's

and a strand sub palette in the main theatre, and an ETC express 72/144 in the black box

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theatre? Theatre?

Don't make me laugh (Cry would be more like it :()

In our school hall (No stage, just a 6.5 x 15 m space) we have 2 12 way IWBs wired as 6 pairs of circuits and 2 6 way lectriflex outlets at floor level (Again paired) connected to 3 Betapack 2 DMX on 32A 3-phase supply.

Lanterns

Oh dear:

5x Patt 45 (Ever heard of them? I hope not)

3x Patt 23

4x Patt 743 (+1 for a brilliant lantern) ex hire from White light

4x Leko 6x9 (Blow their lamps if you look at them hard) again ex hire WL

4x Leko 6x12 as above

Zero88 Alcora and Jester 12/24 desks

A few stands and T-bars

For any half-way serious show we hire in from WL or use a local theatre

For my sins I'm the senior technician and resident lighting designer, and have been for more years than I care to think about.

The Patt 45s and Patt 23s were hear when I came (In '85) the rest we've added since with much hard work.

Dave

Don't make me laugh (Cry would be more like it :()

As with all the posts in this topic, it's the results which count. Very easy to have the best rig in the world but still have an awful show. Sometimes having less makes the imagination (and skills) work harder, and therefore the end product can often be considerably better than some of the dodgy efforts I've seen posted here on the 'Show you (school) show' topic. The basics are the best place to start, especially in a school.

(I'm about to spend nearly two years with an old gymnasium as a temporary theatre, with 18 channels of dimming, 3 x 32A power limit, and no permanent stage or backstage facilities at all. I'm looking forward to it! -- Admittedly after that I'm getting an all-singing all-dancing theatre, but will still be keeping all the old kit!)

Agreed, results are what count, and doubly so that using fewer lanterns can be good discipline and exercise but achieving that result is bloomin' hard work in our hall.

Lots of lovely windows just nicely placed to catch the afternoon sun, and which don't properly black out.

Beautiful white walls / ceiling and polished wood floor to bounce light around to where it's not wanted.

And an elaborate chandelier perfectly placed to throw intricate shadows onto the cyc.

Well, I'm lighting a show coming up with just 10 lanterns on as many channels, Having done the lighting plan I'm moderately hopeful of the result.

Dave

Mainly to PDD - the worst thing my old college did was have a new purpose built performing arts building. Previous to this, it mainly took place in an old victorian building - using the old school hall - 2m x6m, tie-bars at 3.5m and windows down one wall. Plans for he new build were likely to be 5 years or more in the great scheme of things, but once new build was committed, nobody really cared what we did with the space - and it was great. We painted the entire thing very dark blue, built a store at one end with a flat top where we could put sound and lighting. We put panels over the windows with wingnuts so we had total blackout - we even painted the floor a different colour for each show. Tiered seating via steeldeck - every single purchase we made from then on was non-permanent. So everything in flightcases, truss we could build as required, and we did some great stuff - even painting the walls as a marsh for one show with reeds and flowers. I then left, and in the new building everything is sterile, no mess allowed, constant put away get out, white walls, polished floor, light wood doors - exactly the same as so many school and college new installs I see in my travels. So many people complaining the architects really don't understand what goes on in these buildings - exactly the opposite of theatre architects - who do. If they asked the people about to use it - they'd say total blackout and dark surfaces, yet these people want the spaces to look great in daylight!

• 2 months later...

Ok here goes,

Lx

18 x Par64's

8 x Profile's

10 x fresnels

18 x ProPars

8 x ADJ Led Pro

Orb XF

Fat Frog

140 dimmer outlets

Audio

LS9

2 x Yamaha Stage boxes

O1V

Allen & Heath GL2400

2 Denon twin CD players

Tascam Hard disk recorder

2 x Nexia Biamp DSP's

Martin Audio Wave front mid/tops

Martin audio subs, front fill + delay

5 power soft M series amps

Cheers.

Ok here goes,

Lx

18 x Par64's

8 x Profile's

10 x fresnels

18 x ProPars

8 x ADJ Led Pro

Orb XF

Fat Frog

140 dimmer outlets

Audio

LS9

2 x Yamaha Stage boxes

O1V

Allen & Heath GL2400

2 Denon twin CD players

Tascam Hard disk recorder

2 x Nexia Biamp DSP's

Martin Audio Wave front mid/tops

Martin audio subs, front fill + delay

5 power soft M series amps

Cheers.

Have you used the LS9, and if so what are some of the features you like the best?

Let's try and see what we have, all shared with the music department...

Since I have a list with just about everything in front of me, let's start with:

Audio

Mixing Consoles

- 1x Yamaha MX400 24 Channel Mixer

- 1x Tascam Portastudio MK II (technically a multitrack recorder, I think, but it's never used for recording)

- 1x Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 Mixer (As part of STAGEPAS 500 Kit)

Speakers

- 2x Peavey Eurosys

- 2x Peavey Subs

- 2x Peavey Eurosys 2

- 2x Peavey Eurosys 1 PM Monitor Wedges

- 2x Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 (As part of STAGEPAS 500 Kit)

- Various others, such as a pair of Tannoys, in classrooms

Microphones

- 4x Shure SM57 (1 is AWOL)

- 4x Shure SM58 (1 is AWOL)

- 2x Shure SM58 (As part of STAGEPAS 500 Kit)

- 3x AKG D3700 (2 are AWOL)

- 1x Trantec Handheld Radio Mic

- 1x Trantec Clip-on+Bodypack Radio Mic

- 1x Sennheiser Bodypack, I think it's a freePORT

- 1x AKG D112 Bass Drum Mic (Possibly AWOL)

- 1x AKG C419 "Clip On" Instrument Mic

- 1x SE Condenser (Nobody uses this)

- 2x RED 5 RV4 Stage Condenser

- 4x RED 5 RVD9 Snare/Tom Mounted Mics+Mounts

- 4x RED 5 RVD1 Kick Drum Mic+Baby Mic Stand

Power Amplifiers

- 1x Peavey CS 1200

- 1x Peavey PV 2000

- 1x Denon (Unknown Model Name/Number)

Misc

- 1x Peavey Audiolink 24 Channel Multicore

- Nowhere near enough XLR-XLR

- 2x Jack-XLR (Jack-XLR Male AWOL)

- Far too much Jack-Jack

- Several broken mic stands

- 1x Brand new RubberBox 1x32A-4x13A distribution panel

I think that's just about everything. Now, onto:

Lighting

Lanterns

- 6x Par64

- 4x Patt 823 Profile

- 8x Patt 123 Fresnel

- 4x Acclaim 650W Fresnel

- 6x Strand S/63 Batten

- 2x Patt 833 Fresnel

- 6x Patt 23 Profile

- Several unused/broken Patt 23s and Patt 123s

Dimming/Control

- 3x Zero88 Betapack 1 (One possibly soon to be replaced after recently struggling to cope at~60%+ load)

- 3x [Older, Unused, Analogue Strand Units]

- 1x Zero88 Sirius 24 with DMX Conversion Kit

Misc

- 12x 15A Socket (Hall Centre Bar)

- 4x 15A Socket (2-2 L & R Roof Recesses)

- 12x 15A Socket (6-6 L and R Out-Stage Bars)

- 12x 15A Socket(5-4-3 Down, Mid and Up-stage Bars)

- 1x Motorised Glitter Ball (The largest which would fit in the front of the buyer's (classic) Mini Cooper!)

Well, looking at that list it seems to be quite a lot, but it's all aging rapidly, and there never seems to be enough XLR to go around. Oh, and while the plumbers were in over the summer fitting new heating, they snipped through the DMX cables and never bothered to repair them. Cue me, with the janitors' soldering iron popping circuit breakers, on the day of our music department's Winter Concert. Head of Music doesn't know about that one though, so shhh!

• 2 weeks later...

A brand new theatre!!

The theatre was opened in March last year.

We have:

Rigging

12 x fly bars

3 x motorised LX bars

FOH lighting bar

3 gauzes, 2 full tabs, 3borders, 3 paris of legs, 1 projector screen.

Various large bits of set from Hairspray (most notably the houses, which are still there after almost a year)

Sound

Roland M400 digital mixing desk (ethernet sound)

2 x Roland Digital snakes

4 x Ev Z1 speakers

3 x Ev Z5 speakers

1 x Ev Q 44ii Amplifier

2 x Ev Q 99 Amplifiers

12 x Trantec S5.3 Wireless Mic transmitter/recievers

2 x CD decks

Alesis portable PA with iPod dock

Yamaha portable PA

Lighting

As mentioned before, 3 motorised LX bars, and one FOH bar (Rigged from a gantry over auditorium)

Lanterns

6 x Chavet Legend 300E Spots

12 x Chauvet COLORado Tri-tour LED Parcans

18 x ETC Source Four 750 Profiles

6 x ETC Source Four Jr Zoom profiles

2 x Selecon Acclaim Zoomspot

12 x CCT Starlette 1.2Kw Fresnel

4 x Strand Quartet F

4 x Selecon Acclaim Fresnel

24 x Showtec PAR 64

Dimming

128 x 15A Socket outlets

20 x 16A Socket outlets

48 x 10A Dimmers - 2 x Contractor 24 way 10A dimmer racks

2 x WD6 Splitter DMX Hub

1 x Wieland ST18 Patch Box

1 x Zero88 Alphapack

Control

1 x Zero88 Leapfrog 96

Projection

1 x Sanyo PLC XT35

Comms

1 x Tecpro Master Station

6 x Tecpro Beltpacks

7 x Tecpro headsets

1 x Tecpro Telephone for FOH announcements

1 x CCTV camera (Mounted on FOH Lighting gantry)

1 x 17" Monitor on stage

1 x 46" TV in foyer

Other

79 sq m Green room

2 x 28 sq m changing rooms (mirrors, shelving, showers)

Scenery dock/workshop

20.76 (w) x 9.58 (d) m stage

11.20 (w) x 5.50 (h) m Proscenium opening

Band Pit

Costume/prop store

Disabled access (to auditorium, band pit and upper floor (control room etc.)

We also have various cables/connectors/stands, as would be expected. We host a Yamaha music school, and often have access to their guitars, keyboards, basses etc., and relevant accessories for these.

• 2 months later...

I recently compiled a whole list of every lantern we have at Longsands Academy so that the crew could work out which lamps to buy after I leave in a few months time.

Here is what we have. Most are rigged in the Ritchie "Theatre" Hall & The New Build, but there are a couple that are broken and beyond student repair (health and safety -.-)

Profiles

5 x Strand Patt 23

3 x Strand Harmony 15/28

2 x Strand Prelude 16/30

2 x Strand Prelude 28/40

4 x Selecon Acclaim Zoomspot 18/34

Fresnel

4 x Strand Prelude F

6 x CCT Minuette

10 x Strand Patt 123

11 x Selecon Acclaim Fresnel

PC

4 x CCT Minuette PC (I think :S they are quite far up and we aren't allowed up the scaff anymore!)

Floods

3 x Strand Coda3

Other

1 x Par64 (Our Scroller)

2 x Stairville MV250H (iMove copy)

2 x UV Cannon (Manufacturer forgotten at this moment!)

1 x 1500W Strobe (Manufacturer forgotten moment!)

4 x Showtec RGB Par64 Short (basically LEDs)

1 x FAL Halo Followspot

2 x Martin Roboscan 812

A Zero88 FatFrog and a Zero88 Lightmaster XL as a backup.

As for sound just some Peavey's that have taken a fair beating, Peavey amp, some strange configuration for a number of Ohm speakers in the roof, of which two blew up within the first week and a battered/slightly broken Allen & Heath PA20. (Ritchie)

A rack with a small Soundcraft at the top, powering 4 (of which two work) Ohm speakers in the new build, with a Jester 24 channel desk.

I'm pretty sure that's it for now! There may be more - hopefully. We were promised a nice new soundboard and some legal radio mics at christmas but as per usual with our school, nothing nice happens.

• 2 weeks later...

For those worried about lack of space/equipment I'm about to spend a year with a marquee as a replacement theatre!

Oh dear.!

My school had 4 p23 spots mounted FOH through hatches in the hall ceiling, and the stage was lit by a selction of p45 fresnels and battens that took what looked like ordinary GLS lamps. Dimming was Junior HA direct operated dimmers. House lights were dimmed by a huge rheostat on the wall, in a steel mesh box about 18" on a side by about 8" deep.

For those worried about lack of space/equipment I'm about to spend a year with a marquee as a replacement theatre!

It's actually quite fun (ish). I currently do 2 shows a year in a marquee as a temporary venue, and another 4 in an old gymnasium hall. Been quite interesting to work in an unusual space and solve some different problems. Mind you, marquees are a whole new set of problems, not the least of which is external traffic noise for ours! I presume you're doing this for a new building so just think of the reward at the end!

• 7 months later...

Hi.

We are not a school but we are a 6th form college (Harlow College) which has a theatre and performing arts building which is just 4 years old. The theatre is 116 seater raked auditorium with an open stage. Our seats are Fussia Pink and or stage is a fully sprung Harlequin floor with black Casscade. We have the following kit...

LX:

1x Leapfrog 96 Lighting Desk

96x channels of Zero 88 Chilli Dimmers

12x channels of switching via Pulsar switch pack

4x Alpha Pack IIs

4x Martin Mac 500s

4x Martin Roboscan 918s

2x Martin Mac 250 Kryptons (loan)

2x Martin Mac Washes (loan)

4x Clay Packy Miniscan HPEs (loan)

10x Pulsar Chroma Flood 200s (removed from use in our dance studios for full time use in the theatre)

30x Par 64s

8x Par 64 Floor Cans (chrome)

25x Par 46 raylights

8x LED Par 64 3watt RGB (loan)

4x Sills

4x Starlette Fresnels

20x Birdies

4x Festoon Strings

12x Minuette Fresnels

12 Minuette Profiles

4x Strand Quartet Fresnels

4x Strand Quartet Profiles

12x Strand 1.2kw Cantata profiles

2x 2kw Mole Richards Fresnels

6x 500w Floods

1x 3500 Lum DLP Projector

1x Le Maitre Pea Souper

1x Le Maitre STAR Haze Machine

2x Snow Machines

Sound:

1x 32 ch LX7 mixing desk

2x Tascam twin CD and MD units

Behringer EQs, gates and compressors,

2x Ohm 18" Subs (Br18)

4x Ohm twin 6" Tops (Br6)

2x Ohm 15" (Br15)

Shure Mics inc SM58s and SM57s

4x Trantec Sxx? Radio Mics

4x Winched ligting bars (via drill operated winches)

1x Giene GR20 VVP for focusing

1x full time technician!

Our building houses 4 studios with theatre lighting and sound systems capable of playing back CD, MD or iPods. All studios have Ohm Speakers. We have two class rooms. This building houses Dance and Acting students while our ajacent buiding houses our Music students consisting of two recording studios, a Mac suite, and a new silent rehearsal room with electronic drum kit and a jam hub.

We also have a Student Union stage in our food court which consists of Litedeck staging and a free standing 4.2m high truss rig.

We are curretly Englands number one college. Have a look ... www.harlow-college.ac.uk and search Glass Box Theatre or Performing Arts. We are not a private college and run courses for 16+ year old students. We are in Essex and have recently started running degree programs.

Archived