What kit do you have at your school?

Freddie

.. and what, pray, is the matter with that equipment? It's certainly an improvement on much I see. Was the Australian control a Jands?

I'll echo that.

18 fresnels and 4 profiles is quite a good start as the backbone of a fairly reasonable generic rig.

A few more profiles would undoubtedly help your FoH rig, but are not essential.

You can do a LOT with what you have there.

And I'd repeat the point made about the desk...

What is it?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have:

1 x Zero88 Jester 12/24 preset desk (I cant think of the proper name!)

1 x Avo Pearl Tiger (brilliant ML desk!)

14 Par64

8 Profile Spots (no idea of make)

14 Fresnels

All on a 48 channel lighting system using 2 Zero88 dimmer racks (dont know the model)

Also, we hire in any moving lights we need (usually 6/8 Mac 250 entours)

Not bad for a small high school with a reasonably small budget! :P

Not bad for a small high school with a reasonably small budget!

Shouldn't that be

Not bad for a small high school with a too much budget to waste!

All that dosh tied up in an expensive control you only use from time to time, when for the most part, I'd bet all the people want is to shove a few faders and some lights come on!

Shouldn't that be

All that dosh tied up in an expensive control you only use from time to time, when for the most part, I'd bet all the people want is to shove a few faders and some lights come on!

I suppose you are right, it is a bit of a waste having a quite expensive desk thats only used with moving lights! However, I use the Pearl more than the Jester, purely for the reason that the chase function is better and its generally a nice desk to use (cant beat plastering something in LX tape!).

Also, we actually hire in ML quite a bit - theres very few shows we do that dont involve moving lights (we've done 4 shows this year - 3 of which had ML!)

In fairness, practically everything I know was taught to me on the Pearl...

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Shouldn't that be

That WE pay for!

aha! Actually, it was paid for from the money raised by doing a few years of shows... so its the audiences money.... although, you paid for the 'amphitheatre' that is never used!

aha! Actually, it was paid for from the money raised by doing a few years of shows... so its the audiences money.... 

Funny... our school makes money from the shows that they do. Our generic rig is falling to bits, but we never get anything from this profit...  :P

+1 on that.

Though what we do is say to the director before our annual big play that we need X amount of gel and Y lamps, he is happy to help release funds so his show can happen and it comes under the show's budget. We just make sure we have enough to last until the next year's show :angry:

me for several years despite a technician working in drama but she only does office work

big shows are me plus who ever I could muster up. but in the last year I created a strong team of 10 to rotate on shows =]

We have a nearly fully student run technical crew with a teacher acting as a sort of staff liason.

On average we have 2 people per year (lighting and sound). We have 5 years worth of crew so about 10 core crew with a couple people in each year willing to help out.

While 10+ crew may sound a lot, this ranges from fresh Y9 recruits to the Y13s who organise the shows and the crew. Plus we/they are all students and so everyone is trying to balance school work, crew work and out of school activities. This usually works out quite well and I can only think of 3 times during my 5 years when noone has been available.

Just me and a mate (I'm not allowed on the stage on my own, for H&S reasons) at my school. We do everything on our own, except the main school production where we have an ITV sound tech coming in, and we train up some others for follow-spots, stage management etc.

I'm now being paid to go back and help with major productions at my old school as they're struggling to find anyone who's interested enough to put in the time outside of school and also as they don't put on many shows it's difficult for people to develop the skills needed; possibly more of a problem as it's only a small school with 900+ students.

Archived