What kit do you have at your school?

Freddie

we have been getting a new system in our school slowly by buying a bit more after every show. it works well as it just goes down as expenses.

I am consulted on what we buy and although using macs, pearls, vectors etc regularly I agree with what ever is speced as I know its all we are going to get from the budget and if I did disagree they go ahead anyway (lets save the LED argument for another day).

On the 5amp per channel capacity, I'd rather have 24 ways of 5amp dimming than 12 of 10amp.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carnoustie High School Theatre

Lighting -

(Approx.)

Zero 88 Sirius 48 desk

48 5 amp sockets (2 front of stage, 3 on two FOH side bars, 2 stage right, 2 stage left, 36 over 4 bars. 1 FOH)

6 working lights overhead.

2 Selecon Chorus followspots.

2 x 4 cell Selecon Aurora CYC.

1 mirror ball FOH (not sure what size)

2 ETC Source 4's.

3 Selecon Acclaim's.

2 Par 64's.

1 strobe light (sometimes works)

1 U.V. light (again, sometimes works)

Set of fairy lights.

2 special effects lights (unsure what ones)

We do have other lights but it has been a while since I have done a show in there so I can't remember the rest. I'll update it....

Sound -

Soundcraft LX7ii 32 channel.

4 x D.A.S speakers (not sure what models) (2 for balcony, 2 for stalls)

4 AKG C391 B microphones.

1 Shure SM58

8 Seinnheiser (not sure what models) radio mics.

3 AKG mic stands.

1 Denon CD Player

1 Tascam CD Player

1 Sound FX unit (not sure what model)

1 Tape Player.

1 Mini-disc player.

48/8 channel stage box, 3 mic inputs front of stage (which apply as input into stage box), 4 mics overhead (which again input into stage box)

Can't remember the amplifier we have.

Others -

We have various cables in the lighting box for both sound and lighting. Rope (might come in handy!)

6 x Canford Headsets & Comms Boxes.

Various connection points for the comms.

Various gel sheets. (Not many)

Can't remember what else is in the theatre....

This is for a 270 seater theatre which is used by the school, local theatre & musical group as well as for assemblies and such like. A new school has been built right next door under part of a project by Angus Council which aparently means the theatre will be getting refurbished.

Thank god for that....

the 5A is a problem, cos we have 4x 2kW floods front of house, and when combined with all the other fixtures, we have to be careful how many lights we power up at once, to avoid blowing the system ;)

I should say so, given that the 2kw flood will be pulling around 8a through a 5a socket, let alone the dimmer loading issues.

I see that this topic hasn't been added to for a while, but I thought I'd chip in anyways.

Blimey, did someone actually ok that kit as a good long-term investment? Ok, there's probably a load for your money, but if your Alcora got bashed about and didn't take it, that lot won't last 5 minutes.

Edit: actually, just noticed it's a 5a install too, so I'm guessing there really wasn't much consultation.

I was about to say!!! A NEW lighting install - and they used 5amp sockets ??!!!! Someone needs to be given the sack there. Thats completly pointless and sub standerd.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi this is the kit for the school I work at, Brockhill park performing arts college (kent)

Sorry with what happened in the last few posts my computer frose and then id posted lot by mistake.

Lighting:-

3 x Chili pro 24 ways (72 total)

zero 88 leap frog 96

27 x selecon acclaim fresnels

14 x selecon wide angled zoom profile

14 x selecon Hui cyc flood

2 x selecon Hui flood

12 x thomas parcans

12 x 240v birdies

12 x par 56 floorcans

6 x source 4 fixed beam profiles

2 x selecon rama high performance fresnel

1 x ledj wash light

2 x followspots

Sound:-

Allen and heath mixwizard 14:4:2

2 x SR 280/A Active speckers (Main FoH)

2 x SR 550/A Active speckers (main FoH)

2 x Tannoy VS15 BP subs (Main FoH)

2 x Peavey xt hisys 2 (spair)

2 x EV sx300 (used as moniters mainly)

1 x wharfedale MP1800 power amp

1 x behringer crossover super-x pro cx2310

1 x 25m multicore 8xlr inputs, 4 jacks

1 x 30m multicore 8xlr inputs, 4xlr outputs

1 x 40m multicore 12xlr inputs, 4xlr outputs

2 x shure sm57 mic

6 x shure sm58 mic

2 x behringer c-2 mic

1 x behringer b-5 mic

1 x behringer feedback distroyer

1 x behringer reverb unit

1 x Peavey 31 dual band EQ

2 x Art dual passive direct box

Comms:-

canford tec-pro comms masterstation

4x canford belt packs and headsets

Pyro:-

pro-stage 2 way pryo trigger

1 x variable angle firing pod

2 x standard firing pod

Projection :-

1 x numark audio/video mixer

1 x numark lcd display monitor

1 x christie LX 37 projector

You've probably all read my thread on the accoustic problems im having in the SOUND section. But this is what we have.

Lighting

half coconuts and candles would be better that the lights we have - I think they are all original to the building (circa 1959/60) - I cant wait for our refurb as the guy who does lights - if you wanna call it that... is not going to know what hit him - where as I'll be lovin it!!! (my dragon calls me a frustrated LJ/DJ)

Sound (my bit that I have issues with)

HH amp

Behringer desk

coomber cd deck - nicked from languages as mine got attacked by a leaking roof)

Yamaha 500w 15in cabs

DAP 350w 15in cabs

6 jts lavelier, 2 Sennheiser (1 dead at mo thanks to someone's foot on the lavelier mic)

1 elderly AT lavelier

and half a sennheiser in ear monitor - no one knows where the rest of it is!!!

6 shure SM58

7 AT Pro45's

2 Shure EZO

2x7 XLR patch - stage to FOH - but the local whildlife has eaten thru underfloor links on about 4/5 - and no-one wants to go under the floor to investigate http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_images/3...icons/icon2.gif

24 way stage snake

miles and miles of cable

CCTV unit that hangs on light rig and goes into the "back stage" areas so kids know when their cue point is... was.

8 walkie talkies with CIA style ear/mic sets

• 2 months later...

I'm 13 and I have been Technical Director@ HCHS for along time-

Our Kit is as follows:

Hall:

Sound:

1 Allen and Heath GL2400 32 channel mixer

6 wired microphones

3 floor microphones

2 orchestra - above stage microphones

4 wireless pack microphones with multiple headsets

4 main speakers via 2 amps

2 monitor speakers via 1 amp

1 sound effects processor

2 cd players

A herd of other formats: minidisk, tape, ect.

1 macbook

Lighting:

1 zero88 fatfrog

4 zero88 betapack twos (24 channel dimming)

12 parcans

6 acclaim profiles

12 acclaim fesnels

12 floods (back of stage)

Followspot (can't remember anymore details) (Easter hols, :-))

Other:

Infocus LP850 projector

11ft motorized screen

8 sets of coms- with points dotted under the hall

Dance Studio:

Sound:

2 main speakers via built-in amps

1 8 channel mixer

1 cd player

1 computer

Lighting:

1 six channel controller (DMX)

6 parcans

1 four channel dimmer

Drama Studio:

Sound:

1 16 Channel mixer

2 main speakers via 1 amp

1 cd player

Lighting:

1 strand 100 series 24chan manual (why not the jester 24? God only knows)

2 zero88 betapack threes (12 channels)

2 acclaim profiles

10 acclaim fesnels

6 parcans

Not an amazing kit- lacking some intelligent lights, was given the money to do it- moody director used it to take kids to the lowry, where there technicians won't let you touch anything!

Joe

Sorry for the rant but, I'm at school, I joined the forums when I was 13. I now strongly believe that using moving heads in a school is a bad idea.

Playing the devil's advocate here you may say that, but in practice I'm sure you'd love some movers for your school's theatre.

NO, I wouldn't. As the second they were put up I would be expected to make every show look like the final of the X-Factor. In the same amount of time as I have to program the generic rig for a show.

I wouldn't have the time to use them making their prescience unnecessary.

Josh

As the second they were put up I would be expected to make every show look like the final of the X-Factor.

Slightly OT, but what shows do you do where the director would find it appropriate to make every show look like that popular television show?

I'd agree on this one. School that have part time crews who work in their lunchtimes, free periods and after school just dont have the time to dedicate to the programming and maintainance of moving lights.

And directors with very little technical knowledge are prone to the mindset that "Buy some expensive gear and it's bound to look/sound amazing" and its then your fault when it doesnt. (This is from personal experience)

Speaking as a soundie, IMO movers are used 90% of the time by lazy technicians who can't be bothered to get the ladder or genie out to re-focus lamps. We occasionally rent movers in at school, and yet we've produced some stunning looking shows without them.

Moderation: Those following this thread will note that a rather inflammatory post by one of our younger members has now been removed. Many of you took the time to correct or argue with the post that was made...but, since the original is now gone, the rest become superfluous. This thread, rightly or wrongly, was started to list gear in use at schools, not debate whether a person can have 10 years experience at age 13. Back on topic please.

Archived