White Sharpie

Jivemaster

...so many wall warts -all different- in a box that labelling them might save me destroying something.

Exactly what I did about 3 weeks ago. I went through and labelled every wall wart as to the kit it's meant to power. I used the Unipaint marker for that.

Where can I buy a white sharpie. To write on black!

My brother bought me back a multipack of all colours of Sharpies from when he went on holiday (honeymoon actually) to the states, and that included yellow. However, that disappears on black - it's just a yellow ink without a solid base, if you see what I mean. When I bought a pack of black sharpies a while ago it came with a silver Sharpie; I've recently been using that for marking black things and although it smells a bit funny, it works well. I think that's the closest I can suggest. HTH!

Chinagraph Pencils.

Great for gels, but I suspect would wipe off most wall warts after a couple of sweaty hand-grasps....

I used to use chinagraph pencils for writing gel numbers on cut gel but now tend to just use standard sharpie in the corner, which works for all but the darkest colours. It's also more convenient as I've always got a sharpie on me! What's the advantage of chinagraph pencils over sharpies? Or is it just that chinagraph pencils have been around for longer and therefore that's what's traditional to use? The only other factor I can think of is heat resistance...

Chinagraph Pencils.

Great for gels, but I suspect would wipe off most wall warts after a couple of sweaty hand-grasps....

I used to use chinagraph pencils for writing gel numbers on cut gel but now tend to just use standard sharpie in the corner, which works for all but the darkest colours. It's also more convenient as I've always got a sharpie on me! What's the advantage of chinagraph pencils over sharpies?

As you say, it'll show up on dark gels which is a godsend when your in a rush, also a chinagraph will rub off if you accidentally write the wrong gel number or if you want to cut down the gel to a different size and write S4 on it instead of Cantata etc! But I expect it's mostly a tradition thing...

In traditional Blue Room style, we've got lots of useful info, but nobody's answered the original question yet!

Where's the best place to buy these? Good stationers? Hardware store? Somewhere else?

but nobody's answered the original question yet!

OK, I will...

They don't exist. From the Sharpie webiste...

# Why isn't the Sharpie marker available in white?

A white marker requires a pigmented, rather than a dye base ink, to achieve the required opacity. With the ink technology available, we have been unable to manufacture a marker or pen that will uniformly lay down white ink. In the future, however, as new ink technology develops, it is quite possible we will be able to make a pigmented white ink marker. Until then we suggest trying Sanford's white Sharpie Paint or Poster-Paint marker. It is a valve action marker, which requires a pumping action.

Archived