Expensive Cables

peter

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant, I too love the word audiophool!

Other gems I have seen on sale recently include...

£300+ for a gold plated, annointed with sacrificial goat entrails in the centre of a stone circle at midnight during a full moon whilst burning black candles etc. etc. mains 4-way!! to make your hifi sound better.

Gold plates Toslink optical connectors "for a better quality connection"

They do say it's morally reprehensible to allow a sucker to keep his money, and in the case of people dumb enough to but this kind of stuff I'm inclined to agree.

The gold plated mains fittings are an audiophool classic. I got into a discussion with a purveyor of such kit at a hi-fi show some years ago. Letting the man go through his whole sales pitch, I then asked the unwelcome questions about how far to go back along the mains power circuit....... wiring, consumer unit's MCBs, electric meter, service fuse..... by which time the inbound hostility was rising fast! Oh what fun!

Moving on to speaker cables, one memorable installation in a London studio had 16sq.mm mineral insulated cable feeding the main monitors in the control room.

Gareth.

This IEC mains cable is now £3,350!

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?loo...&pf_id=1549

...and the little electrons still have to squeeze themselves through the tiny wire in the fuse before enjoying the wide open spaces of the silver cable and cryogenically treated connector.

If I use one on my kettle will it make the tea taste more expensive (Thinks: could save me a fortune in teabags)

I'll have a dozen!

The company involved also make an Acoustic cable and a Rock cable, I wonder what they would claim the differences are.

The company regularly advertise in the back pages of the trade press, and provide little articles stating how various learned people have determined their cables are best suited to the task. I've always been a little bemused....

Looking back at the link the first post pointed us to, nobody spotted something interesting in the comparison.

Martin Logan SL-3 speaker set at 75Db at 1000KHz

I'm getting on now, so that's a little high for me to hear now, but I'm glad the test went a bit higher than usual.

The number of audiophiles who seem to think upgrading their CD transport from a £2k one to a £4k one will make a difference to the sound is incredible. Let's see if you can hear the difference between a 'high-end' transport and a basic CD player with a digital output.

Archived