Stand or Sit?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With sound...

If it's just playing sound effects - sitting down

If it's live sound... well I try not to get involved with sound then, but if I have to - standing up.

Lighting...

Again - if it's lights go up, lights go down - then I sit down... if it's rock and roll... standing up.

I guess it comes down to how difficult, or how much observation is required. If I need to concentrate on something I'll stand up - but if I'm just waiting for the DSM to say go - I'll get a seat and maybe a cup of tea and some Haribo!

When mixing music I stand - everything else I sit.

However, even when mixing music once the song gets underway and I'm happy with the mix so it only needs monitoring for a while, then I sit to give the legs a break. No point going to the trouble of holding myself up if it's not necessary!

A question for all of you (which seems like a majority) who said they stand for bands/live music: why?

I realise that some of this will be purely practical. At some venues, because the punters stand, you have to as well to see anything. Similarly, with a very large mixer I understand that you might need to be standing to reach things quickly enough.

However, I have the distinct impression that there's more than this going on. Do you feel that you can be more "into" the music when standing?

I ask because my background is TV (where I'd be seated in the sound control area whatever style of show I was working on). Similarly, board ops in studios tend to be sitting whatever musical style they're working on...and however big their board it.

However, from the number who say they prefer to stand, there must be something to it and I'm curious!

(Mind you, I'm one of those boring gits who'd rather sit at a concert even if there as a punter!)

Bob

yes, I do stand when there's more going on, in large part to get more into the music. Often also so I can see over the punters and because the desk is at such a height as standing give the more comfortable angle to op at, but getting into the music (I can't op if I'm not, my ability to get into music I otherwise wouldn't has been massively helped by opping bands) is vital.

One thing that I find is that standing and peering over the desk, rather than looking up from it, helps me spot subtle things. If I'm waiting for the first indication of someone coming on, or a prop placement finishing, I can see better standing (probably because the desk-lights are less in my eyes). Which is mostly why I stand when I have to concentrate/have things to look out for, and sit when I don't.

A question for all of you (which seems like a majority) who said they stand for bands/live music: why?

Erm its a good question really I much prefer sitting down but I always seem to be standing even when mixing less taxing stuff (unless its just a single mic or something like that when I invariably sit). I think dwh may have it though desk lamps in the eyes are a very good reason to stand.

Evan

Lighting I tend to sit, as I do very little busked lighting.

Sound wise, I tend to do as the audience do, but if I'm standing I like to have a stool, so that I can rest my posterior whilst still being at near standing height. Standing or sitting on a stool seems to keep me more alert than sitting down fully.

I think when you are busking alot you need to be on the ball: matching button pressies with beats, getting ready for chorus and verse changes, using the odd strobes and blinders etc. So you do need to be standing for this. Also it helps to get a 'feel' for what you are doing. you seem more engaged to what is going on when standing than when you are sitting. Sitting feels more relaxed, as if the show can run itself.

I realise that some of this will be purely practical. At some venues, because the punters stand, you have to as well to see anything. Similarly, with a very large mixer I understand that you might need to be standing to reach things quickly enough.

Bobbsy

You're right about the practical aspects, and even a relatively small mixer with an outboard rack usually requires you to stand to reach things quickly and comfortably.

As you'll know, Dave Rat says he does not need to see the band, and even finds it distracting. That's all well and good, but then he will know the set as well as the band do. However for 98% of what I do now, I'll not have had even one run through before the gig. This means that visual clues as to who is singing the next line or doing the next solo are very important.

However, I do quite often find that I'm standing, even if I don't need to and have a good chair or stool available. I think I feel noticeably more alert when standing than I do if I'm sitting. Yes, I do feel more "into" the music - there are even occasions when you might catch me almost dancing!

(Mind you, I'm one of those boring gits who'd rather sit at a concert even if there as a punter!)

Me too these days! :pissedoff:

Sound (outside of playback (boring) and musicals (too busy)): Stand - because I like to walk the hall, you need to know how it sounds in locations other then whatever corner the promoter has rammed FOH into this time! This goes for all musical styles, and tends to apply more in venues that I don't know really well.

Lighting, sit, ideally on a draftsmans chair, unless straining to see a visual cue, when standing might be the only way.

Regards, Dan.

if its theatre, its always sit, or have a chair close by, cos theyres always long gaps on nothing-to-do time.

but for rock, dance, musicians, anything like that, its stand for sound, sit for lighting

However, I have the distinct impression that there's more than this going on. Do you feel that you can be more "into" the music when standing?

I ask because my background is TV (where I'd be seated in the sound control area whatever style of show I was working on). Similarly, board ops in studios tend to be sitting whatever musical style they're working on...and however big their board it.

However, from the number who say they prefer to stand, there must be something to it and I'm curious!

Bob

im quite a short guy, so I have to stand to be able to see over a big console!!! often though, if I stand at something boring, its cos there are no cahirs available, hard as that it to believe!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived