Stand or Sit?

OK - let's take it a bit further. from reading the above, most people seem to like sitting, either all the time or for the less energetic bits.

So what sort of chair? Stool? swivel? castors? arms? Jim'll-fix-it armchair with beer fridge in the arm?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of our control rooms are furnished with rather nice high-backed office chairs with arms - adjustable in height, reclining, etc. Very nice, and the backs are just the right height to permit a fairly comfortable snooze ... ;)

I like a wheely office chair, they are designed for sitting comfort without damage. My botty will stay firmly in it, unless something moves me to the point where I stand up. I do have a problem with these in my most frequently used venue, however, as the auditorium is raked, so crashing into the desk is not unknown.

However, on one production the lay-z-boy chair that was brought to the theatre for a production was deemed inappropriate by the director, and ordered off the stage, whereupon it reappeared at the back of the stalls...

I wish our control position was better thought out, with a lower desk. That way I could actually have a decent chair, instead of a high swivel chair, but then it does mean that if I want to stand, then at least the desk is at a comfortable height.

Certainly no castors though, I don't fancy going head first down the stairs at the back of the booth!

Edit: There was discussion once as to whether or not the chaise longue that was surplus to requirements could be moved into the booth

Random thought: with the amount of technology (specifically VDU screens) in a modern tech box, combined with the length of time one is required to be there, should we be carrying out VDU assessments for all operators? Chairs play a large part in such assessements.

Sitting.

We have some great office chairs - well, really they're not office chairs: they go up to about 4 feet off the ground and have no wheels - so, good for opping, but no good for moving out of people's way.

CC

I do mainly theatre work AND I have a bad knee or two, so predictably my answer is that I prefer to work seated.

Although I'd rather have a nice padded chair, the reality is that what I sit on is mainly dictated by sight lines. I need to have a clear view of the stage AND the proper angle down onto my mixing desk. As often as not, this means a stool, especially as (wherever possible) I mix from inside the auditorium. I hate working in a closed control room, comfy chairs or not.

Bob

wherever possible I mix from inside the auditorium. I hate working in a closed control room, comfy chairs or not.

See, now that's why I'm very happy to do almost exclusively electrics and hardly any sound - I hate op'ing a show surrounded by punters. I'm far happier being in my own space. The control rooms in our main house are nice - separate rooms, nice and spacious, plenty of desk space for laptops, newspapers, coffee cups, etc. - lovely. Knock the show relay volume right down (unless it's something I haven't actually seen and want to listen to!) and it's a nice peaceful existence. In the studio, however, the control area, while being separate from the auditorium, is open-plan - LX, sound and DSM sharing the same large space. So one can't really knock the show relay off, otherwise the DSM tends to get a bit irate at not being able to hear cue lines! Needless to say, I always prefer op'ing in the main theatre. ;)

Over the years, on my journeys around many of the UK's theatres, I've come across all sorts of control rooms - from the terrible (horrid pokey little spaces that are awkward to get to, badly-designed, have a bad view of the stage, and are a pleasure to leave) to the positively lovely (nice easy access, plenty of space, a good view of the action, well laid out, and all mod cons!).

Perhaps we should have a 'best/worst control room' thing! (Bearing in mind, of course, that any comments regarding a theatre's control room in no way reflect on any other aspects of the venue, including the staff!) Hmmm, let's see - worst? Windsor Theatre Royal springs to mind (how cramped?!), closely followed by Brighton Theatre Royal (how many flights of stairs?!) and York Opera House (the stage is over there somewhere, on the other side of that bloody great pillar!). Best? Plymouth Theatre Royal is a good one (very spacious, very comfy), I quite like The Lowry (bit of a climb, but lots of room and a fab view of the stage), and .. err ... hmm, there aren't any springing to mind that stand out as being particularly nice - I'll have to have a think about it!

To answer the OP - sit 95% of the time, whatever I'm doing.

On the odd occasion I do a little sound work (seldom these days) it feels more natural to stand for things like mic checks or band setups, but I'd sit for the run.

LX is mainly my forte, and unless it's a case of nip in to hit a couple of buttons and run back out to focus etc, I most always sit.

As for the seats, I got us some fixed base swivel chairs - no arms (maybe a mistake, though they can get in the way sometimes if you have them...) - see below.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/LX_Desk_3.jpg

How odd Ynot, that control room looks almost identical to one at a theatre near me. Including the doorway, the other door in the background, the clock and the window. Spooky.

As for my preference, it follows convention really. Doing sound I tend to prefer to stand for anything other than theatre and plain playback. When forced to do LX, however, I attempt to integrate with the lampies by finding an armchair to lounge about in. Sometimes I'll put the desk on my lap just for extra comfort and convenience ;):P

Archived