CPC budget headset mics

Lamplighter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, to follow up my earlier post...

I bought a couple of the MP33750 mics - the five pound flesh coloured ProSignal ones.

First surprise was that they came with a female mini-XLR - I (perhaps naively) would have expected a male. Wired 1 ground, 2&3 parallel hot. Seems a little strange. Apart from the clip, they look identical to the stageline ones - more than the picture earlier in this thread would indicate.

So, I soldered one up, plugged it in, and managed to get some noises out of it. Now, my garage, on a windy night, when I'm not really in the mood to get out any extra gear, is not exactly the ideal environment to test these things, and the test rig was basically me saying "1-2-1-2" <> mic <>rad mic tx <>rad mic rx <> headphones. Also, I didn't have any decent quality mics to compare with - all I had handy was some of the cheapie CPC headset mics. But the results were promising - the levels and sound quality seemed similar to the headset mic, which in the past has proven to be surprisingly good.

I'll do some more experiments later, once I can get hold of something decent to compare it against.

Bruce.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have repiled to this topic as it seems to me - being simple talent - that it is relevant, so sorry if it is not!

I am somewhat out of my depth here, but have ended up trying to find replacement heads for radio-mics. Being completely unfamilar with technical equipment, this poses a small problem. Can anybody recommend a decent reasonably priced radio-mic miniture lavalier type methingy, that I am told has a 4-pin LEMO connector mahoosit (which is also apparently a pain in the backside to solder). I apologise if this has been put somewhere with correct wording, but as I've said I do not have the faintest idea what I'm spaffing about.

Thanks

I am somewhat out of my depth here, but have ended up trying to find replacement heads for radio-mics. Being completely unfamilar with technical equipment, this poses a small problem. Can anybody recommend a decent reasonably priced radio-mic miniture lavalier type methingy, that I am told has a 4-pin LEMO connector mahoosit (which is also apparently a pain in the backside to solder).
Hi.

It depends to a point what transmitters you're using, but MOST are happy with any of the wide variety of tie-clip/headset mics mentioned here. Lemo - possibly a Trantec system? Yes, they ARE a b1**h to solder and needs a fne tipped clean iron to do well.

Michael

The range of suppliers offering lavalier mics with 4 pin lemo connectors is limited, adding economical into the equation will restrict this further. Canford ( www.canford.co.uk) are a good starting point. If you are able to find someone to solder the connectors then the CPC mics mentioned in this thread are very good value. The lemo connectors are not cheap, around £15 + vat each

Brian

Can anybody recommend a decent reasonably priced radio-mic miniture lavalier type methingy, that I am told has a 4-pin LEMO connector mahoosit (which is also apparently a pain in the backside to solder).

Well a few people will self off the shelf heads soldered to Lemos, but for more choice choose your mic 1st, then solder (or get someone else to solder) it up. Thames Audio have been good in the past price-wise for MKE2s.

• 1 month later...

Following the recent discussions in this thread, I purchased a flesh coloured lavalier mic from CPC (MP33750) to try out on our Sennheiser E100 radio mics. It worked fine just taped to the skin during a Panto rehearsal and sounded OK with a natural sound. It managed well with the singing of the female leads and the shouting of the Dame (Behind you etc).

I therefore bought some headsets (MP33521) stripped off the black Lav mic & cable (went in spares box), cut and bent the spring headset wire to conform closer to the head & then sprayed the wire an approximate flesh colour.

Then I threaded the flesh coloured Lav mic into some clear heatshrink, threaded it onto the headset spring, and shrunk it on. Result is a flesh coloured Lav mic headset with 3.5mm jack, for a total cost of around £11, no re-termination was required.

I made up 8 sets like this and used them with our 8 E100 radio mics, to date they have completed 21 vigorous Panto performances with NO failures. The talent like them and do not want to go back to taped on mics.

I get the bonus that the mic is approximately in the same place every performance.

If/when a mic fails then it will cost around £5.50 plus 15 mins work to change it for a new Lav and heatshrink it on. The mics are cheap enough to regard as consumables and we are of a mind to just get a new set for each production (£44) and have peace of mind

Of course, the above only applies if your TX beltpacks take 3.5mm mic jacks, otherwise you are into cutting the jacks off and fitting your own plug to suit the beltpack.

I have no connection with CPC apart from being a satisfied customer. :(

• 1 month later...
Might be a silly question, with the MP33750 mic from CPC how di dyou secure it to your evolution Beltpack without the locking 3.5mm Jack plug so that it could not come out during the performance?
Hmmm...

Chop the existing plug off and re-terminate using a new locking jack???

:)

I was more wondering how Boswell secured his without changing the plug.

Martin

Sorry for delay, been away for 5 days.

I left the existing angled 3.5mm jack on (as supplied) we found that any tension on the cable tended to excert a sideways force on the jack and made it difficult to pullout. Of course if you pull hard enough, you might get the plug out before the cable fails. :D

I have also reterminated one with a Senn locking jack for vigorous act who likes lying on his back on the beltpack!

Boswell, thank you for your reply.

I am going to have ago at reterminating some of my old ME2 capsules that have failed near the connector with some new locking Jacks that I have. I need to buy a new soldering iron to do thia and wondered if anyone could advise me of suitable irons or what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

I need to buy a new soldering iron to do thia and wondered if anyone could advise me of suitable irons or what to look for.
Any decent hobbyists/electronics iron should do, but I'd recommend one that you can use with a temp control station - with the thin wires on many mic leads, the last thing you want is an iron that's so hot it melts the insulation back without much effort!

Archived